IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Hello,

I am currently downsizing to a simple system consisting of only a Lumin U1 Mini and active speakers. Since the speakers will digitize any analog signal sent to them I will not send the output from the U1 Mini to my current DAC (Benchmark DAC2 HGC) for conversion to an analog signal.  Instead I  will connect the speakers directly to the AES/EBU output of the U1 Mini and use the built in digital volume control. 

The only audio input of the speakers (Dutch & Dutch 8C) is the AES/EBU input (which can also take analog XLR). This limitation creates a problem when I want to feed the speakers audio from Netflix etc. that I stream from a Macbook Pro to out TV using HDMI. I need to get the audio into the U1 Mini since this device occupy the only audio connection to the speakers. The only way, as I understand, is to Airplay the audio from my computer to the U1 Mini. I am still waiting for delivery of the new speakers, but I have tested using Airplay 2 with other speakers and the sound is delayed 2 seconds compared to the video signal to my TV due to the inbuild buffer in Airplay 2.

Does anyone know how to bypass the buffer in Airplay 2, or any other way of getting the audio signal into the U1 Mini without sync problems?

13 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

I can't help you with your setup, but I do know that the only way Airplay syncs video and audio is if the device sending the audio is also playing the video. For example, playing a Netflix video on an iPad, or in your case a Macbook, and Airplaying the audio to your Lumin would work.

Given the lack of inputs, perhaps you are trying to oversimplify too much?

Yes, perhaps this is the case. The general problem here is that good digital volume controls with muliple digital inputs/outputs suitable for a home audio setup are almost non-existent. My plan was to be able to use the digital volume control in the Lumin U1 Mini as volume control until for Dutch & Dutch have developed their digital control box (similar to Kii Three) which, I guess, will adjust the volume directly in the speakers just before the DAC stage.

I have found a digital format converter/volume control from Lake People that seems to fit in a home setup (including remote control), but it will add considerable extra cost for me if configured with the optional USB input + remote control:

https://power-holdings-inc.com/Lake-People-DAT-RS-05-Digital-Audio-Translator-p136295660

Anyone here that have had experience with the DAT RS05 ?