IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

• 5 months later...
Hello Holzohr

I accept clicks because there is an understandable technological reason linked to the search of the higher transparency through an entire system. When an electron sneezes in the source power supply, it is good yo know that the signal goes to the speakers :)

I also have playlists where there can be a click when there is a sampling rate change.

You prefer pure silence between a Mozart and an Oscar Peterson track. I perfectly understand.

I do not care at all.

I would care inside an album. Or no gapless for a live concert or an opera.

People coughing between the parts of a concert and even during the music, do not bother me neither. That is life.

Best and kind regards.

I don't have a Lumin, however my DAC also relay switches at every fs change, including DSD. I believe the relay mutes the output briefly to ensure the new fs is detected correctly. If this is not muted you end up with some ugly mess on your tweeter. A relay is simple and the resistance very low, so it doesn't impact on SQ (well not that much if at all).

Some DACs do silent muting, they go through gates which do the same function, maybe a muting function on the DAC chip itself, like a suppression command. Higher end DACs may not have this ability as each processing section may be different and difficult to implement, that's why they use the relay. Life cycle typically for a small relay is 500k + operations, and are readily replaceable as their formats are similar between manufacturers. You could end up with a new DAC before the relay expires :)

I don't mind the click, at least I know there's something coming very quickly.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 3 years later...

For the BNC output on the D1, is that AES3id, or IEC60958-2(?).

Am sure getting tired of PC player shortcomings and reliability. Would have gone for a Sony HAP-Z1ES, but are no longer available and the track count restriction would have meant removing 50% of the library :( Lumin have less reliability problems compared with Aurender based on a very superficial look at this thread, although most software has bugs anyway.

I would have liked DSD128 playback, suppose you can't have everything, DSD64 is OK, have plenty of and FLAC. Gapless is essential, especially for DSD, no glitches, for real? The T1 is tempting with the separate PSU, although the D1 would suit functionality I'm after.

What's the PSU cable length on the T1?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have bought the D1 BTW - ordered it today for delivery tomorrow. If it can't better my Metrum Musette & Auralic Aries then it can go back. I have a 12V LPSU for it, so will do some comparisons.

Since there are two less sources of leakage current of the power supplies of the Musette and Aries, based on that alone your SQ will improve markedly with the D1 alone.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Problem is that these services do come and go. Often difficult to proceed with development or just wait a while. Seems like none of the streaming services do well financially.  Just now, my family sub with Deezer was terminated just after a week in use. Just not interested in the music they offer. might go back to freebie Spotify, there's a better choice.

@wklieWith the new D2 upgrading the D1, will a similar event happen for the T1/T2 to upgrade the processor for DSD128 or even higher capability? Which quarter of 2018 could this happen or plan to be?

Is a black edition of the cards for the T2?

Please try to be vague as possible, like May 17th, the advent of Munich high end.. ;) 

On 12/16/2017 at 12:39 AM, toetapaudio said:

Or you could use a Sbooster 12v ps for better SQ.

What's the current draw for the L1? I'm thinking to add the L1 to an interactive UPS with a Topaz line conditioner. The 12V linear supply can come from that system. If the Lumin player's power drops it may not be that critical, other than a write/read which may go astray, but a hard drive is another story. Given a 12V system, a large battery could also hold enough voltage until a controlled power off comes along.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have a couple of questions about Roon and Lumin operations on DSD.

If a file is DSD128, how does Roon change this to DSD64? (OK a Roon question, still Lumin owners would know)

If Native DSD64 files are played in Roon, are there any audible inter track clicks when heard through a Lumin?

Will Lumin be exhibiting at Munich 2018?

• 1 month later...

Lumin to discontinue the D1. (Japan from PhileWeb) Now, all except the model I'm after come in Black or Silver.

Notice, there's no price for the X1.

Blytone announced that it will revise the price of LUMIN brand network player / network transport product from June 1st order order.

S1_thumb.jpg
LUMIN S1

As the reason for price revisions, the company said it is "to revise manufacturer's export price". The prices after revision since the revision are as follows (all tax excluded). 

● Network player "S1" : 
Black ¥ 1,815,000 → ¥ 1,996,500 
Silver ¥ 1,650,000 → ¥ 1,815,000 

● Network transport "U1" : 
Black ¥ 1,210,000 → ¥ 1,331,000 
Silver ¥ 1,100,000 → ¥ 1,210,000 

● Network player "A1" : 
Black ¥ 1,210,000 → ¥ 1,331,000 
Silver ¥ 1,100,000 → ¥ 1,210,000 

● Network player "T1" : 
Silver ¥ 750,000 → ¥ 825,000 

● Network player "D2" : 
Black ¥ 385,000 → ¥ 423,500 
Silver ¥ 350,000 → ¥ 385,000 

Also regarding the network player "D1" With the end of production, sales ended on May 12th.

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, wklie said:

Thanks for the review link to 6moons. I cannot concentrate to read the review directly at 6moons because of the type set, layout and god awful graphic design choices. For the X1 it was worth the CTRL + C and CTRL + V to transpose the pages into something easier to read. Once finished the read there'll be comments. Then again these guys go over the moon sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...