IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

6 hours ago, wklie said:

Coinciding with the release of Lumin D2, Lumin Firmware 10 (for all Lumin network players and transport) introduces support for Spotify Connect. Note: Requires a Spotify Premium account.

Although it was possible to use Spotify Connect via AirPlay, the Lumin native support of Spotify Connect offers the following advantages:

- Better sound quality - as confirmed by beta testers and our own listening tests

- Support for multiple platform including Android

- Instantaneous response via Spotify app

- Optional upconversion to DSD - so even DSD-only LampizatOr DAC owners can enjoy Spotify via Lumin

Lumin supports Roon Ready, MQA, Tidal Masters, Qobuz Hi-Res, Spotify Connect, TuneIn, AirPlay.

Peter -

Regarding the Lumin D2, was there a product announcement?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

• 1 year later...

I just bought a preowned Lumin A1 after years of using Lumin App in an OH environment with Minimserver + Bubbleup Server running on my NAS.

As a classical music listener, I appreciate Lumin App dynamically changing font size in the play queue. No other app that I have tried has that feature.

I love the sound quality of my newly acquired A1, but I do have a question regarding the font screen size. I seems that given the foresight shown with Lumin App, the screen is somewhat of a disappointment to me.

If I played "songs" the screen would be quite adequate. For example:

300895978_LuminDisplayPop.thumb.JPG.ae51d6eaab280f6768a54be6a3020a5b.JPG

But classical music gives no indication of composer or movement:

1645747491_LuminDisplayClassical.thumb.JPG.f21173a84622f4f42a1a80bb109ab78e.JPG

It seems to me that the font size is too big. A minor quibble of sorts. I am overall very satisfied with my purchase.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

@wklie

When I play Spotify the screen on the unit (lower left hand corner of the screen) shows me this:

Spotify 320K 44.1 KHZ 16 Bits

Question: Does that mean that the Lumin A1 is upsampling the Spotify stream?

@wklie

This has probably been covered before but I was not able to find a response that actually works. My question regards the Minimserver Library File after you add a new album to it and how do I get Lumin App to see the new addition?

This is what I have been doing:

1. Using Minimwatch I rescan Minimserver on my iMac
  2. Then I go to the iPad tap on the gear>Music Library>Options>Update Music Library then I wait watching the spinning circle.

I've tried the MinimServer Rescan from the Lumin App but that doesn't seem to be a quicker solution.

A previous response from @psme to someone else indicated "After a MinimServer "re-scan" finished/completed (it may take a while), LUMIN app should AUTOMATICALLY detects any library change."

I have never had the update to the music library happen automatically. Or perhaps I am not patient enough. Or perhaps I am doing something wrong?

What is the correct procedure for getting Lumin App to see the new addition?

@wklie Thank you. So the automatic feature is initiated by the album count.

What if the change and Minimserver rescan was done to correct a metadata mistake, for example an album or composer name. Should I expect the automatic feature to still be initiated?

I don't mean to sound pedantic, I'm just trying to understand the interaction between Minimserver and Lumin App.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you remove icons from radio stations that are not supported anymore? They still appear in Lumin App with "not supported" in their titles, but they do not appear on the MacOS web page.

Lumin A1 Options> Internet Radio Setting>Update Radio Channels does not remove them.

Years ago I signed into TuneIn and put a bunch of stations into my Favorites. I've since cleaned up Favorites, updated the Lumin and these still appear as unsupported.

10 minutes ago, wklie said:

Please double tap iPad home button, swipe away the Lumin app.  Power cycle the A1.  After it's booted up, then launch Lumin app again.

They still appear.

I tried starting up Lumin App with the Lumin A1 off. Confirmed that the TuneIn icon was not on. Then switched the A1 on, watched the Tunein icon come back on. The "Not Supported" stations are still there. Checked my Tunein account via Firefox on my iMac and the unsupported stations are not there. I'm not sure what else to do.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Akeg said:

Hello,

I am currently downsizing to a simple system consisting of only a Lumin U1 Mini and active speakers. Since the speakers will digitize any analog signal sent to them I will not send the output from the U1 Mini to my current DAC (Benchmark DAC2 HGC) for conversion to an analog signal.  Instead I  will connect the speakers directly to the AES/EBU output of the U1 Mini and use the built in digital volume control. 

The only audio input of the speakers (Dutch & Dutch 8C) is the AES/EBU input (which can also take analog XLR). This limitation creates a problem when I want to feed the speakers audio from Netflix etc. that I stream from a Macbook Pro to out TV using HDMI. I need to get the audio into the U1 Mini since this device occupy the only audio connection to the speakers. The only way, as I understand, is to Airplay the audio from my computer to the U1 Mini. I am still waiting for delivery of the new speakers, but I have tested using Airplay 2 with other speakers and the sound is delayed 2 seconds compared to the video signal to my TV due to the inbuild buffer in Airplay 2.

Does anyone know how to bypass the buffer in Airplay 2, or any other way of getting the audio signal into the U1 Mini without sync problems?

I can't help you with your setup, but I do know that the only way Airplay syncs video and audio is if the device sending the audio is also playing the video. For example, playing a Netflix video on an iPad, or in your case a Macbook, and Airplaying the audio to your Lumin would work.

Given the lack of inputs, perhaps you are trying to oversimplify too much?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lumin App > Gear Icon > My Lumin > Options > Analog Audio Output Level > Switch from "Normal" to "Low"

Problem solved. No need to mess with volume control.

click on gear icon > scroll down to Group by album in Playlist > click "ON".

Now try to click on album display. That should chose the entire album's tracks. If you have chosen "double tap" this should allow multiple ways to move the chosen tracks.

I missed the part of your original post that says only "Tidal and Qobuz". It has been over a year since I was a Tidal subscriber but as I recall I never had the problem you describe. Sorry.

• 6 months later...

@wklie

Just bought a preowned U1 (not mini) and have some questions about the outputs.

USB 1 and 2 can't be used together (i.e., to two different DACs). Correct?

USB can be used with any other output to two different DACs. Correct?

Toslink and SPDIF can be used together. Correct?

I ask because I want to avoid fiddling in the back and having to redo connections. I am not a fan of the back overhang and have learned with my A1 to get the connections done right the first time.

12 hours ago, wklie said:

For both the U1 and U1 MINI:

• Only one USB DAC can be connected.  The other USB port may be used for the Lumin USB IR receiver for physical remote control or a USB thumb drive.
  • When a USB DAC is detected, the non-USB outputs no longer have correct timing.  So one DAC only.
  • When a USB DAC is not detected, AES / BNC / coaxial / toslink can be used together simultaneously, up to 4 DACs.

What is the Lumin USB IR receiver?

The XLR outputs on my A1 are even worse. They have that push button lock release that sits between the overhang and the plug. I have to get a wooden dowel to push it, while I grab both sides of the plug and pull out.

Who thinks this overhang is a good idea, and why?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wklie said:

When using the physical remote to adjust volume, the volume will be shown on the front panel for a short time.  Then it will go back to the normal display of track name, artist, etc.

Is it a large display? Able to be seen from across the room? I remember being disappointed at the size of the "mute" display when that was introduced.

• 1 month later...

@wklie I've noticed that my Lumin U1 /  Lumin App (iOS iPad) combination becomes sluggish after I have streamed music (Primephonic Streaming Subscription) with Airplay. I believe this behavior also manifest itself after a Spotify Connect session.

For example, if I have updated my NAS Audio Library, it takes forever for the new addition to appear. Also, deleting tracks on the left side of the App,(i.e., an entire album) takes far longer than it should.

This is my work around: I power cycle the Lumin U1. The App returns to normal operation until my next Airplay session. I don't remember this kind of behavior before with my A1, although I am doing a lot more Airplay streaming these days. Any thoughts?

On 12/27/2020 at 11:29 PM, rodrigaj said:

@wklie I've noticed that my Lumin U1 /  Lumin App (iOS iPad) combination becomes sluggish after I have streamed music (Primephonic Streaming Subscription) with Airplay. I believe this behavior also manifest itself after a Spotify Connect session.

For example, if I have updated my NAS Audio Library, it takes forever for the new addition to appear. Also, deleting tracks on the left side of the App,(i.e., an entire album) takes far longer than it should.

This is my work around: I power cycle the Lumin U1. The App returns to normal operation until my next Airplay session. I don't remember this kind of behavior before with my A1, although I am doing a lot more Airplay streaming these days. Any thoughts?

@wklie FWIW, it appears that a Refresh/Restart of Minimserver has fixed the problem. I've not been able to replicate it since I did that. Airplay in conjunction with Lumin App is working fine now.