IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

I am having a problem getting AirPlay to work. I have checked the Streaming box yes under options on the Lumin.... but none of our apple devices on the network see the Lumin as option when they choose to AirPlay. Are there other steps I need to take to enable this function? Thanks

So now I have a new issue. Over the weekend I was copyng a new album to the NAS...After completion, I did a re-scan of the libray on minimserver and then did a "reload library" on the lumin app...Suddenly all my music disappeared from the lumin app....Of course all the files are still there on the DS1813 NAS...In trying to trouble shoot, I reinstalled the Lumin app...no luck...restart Minimserver...no luck...rebooted everything (Lumin, NAS and IPAD)...no luck...I re-installed Audio Station on NAS....that resulted in the NAS appearing OFFLINE to the Lumin app....I re-installed minimserver...no change....If I open Audio Station on the NAS...I can use that to stream albums to Lumin....So right now I am stuck with the Lumin app not being able to see the NAS...and am wondering how to debug this. I can ping the IP of the Lumin and the NAS withoiut issue... I would appreciate any tips or best practices...I am a newbie at NAS and Upnp systems.

I have sent an email to Lumin, but thought someone might have run into this.....I am running the latest Lumin firmware and Lumin app... Thanks

hi Roy Boy,

Sorry about the trouble!

About the Airplay issue, I don't understand why it won't work too! On the other hand, please make sure the Airplay source (MacBook, iPad etc) is on the SAME network (subnet) as the LUMIN. That means both the LUMIN player and the MacBook (for example) should be connected on the same router. If there are 2 or more routers interconnected, then there may be problem using streaming function. Some HomePlug (PowerLine network) devices may also cause problem with Airplay or streaming function in general.

A easy way to test Airplay, is to use the same iPad that is controlling the LUMIN player (as they must on the same network for the LUMIN app to see the LUMIN player). From that iPad, while LUMIN app sees the LUMIN player, the iPad should also see the LUMIN as a Airplay speaker.

About the LUMIN app with MinimServer issue, normally, after did a "re-scan" on MinimServer, you DO NOT need to manually do any thing. There is NO need to go into Library Options to click "Reload" or "Update".

After a MinimServer "re-scan" finished/completed (it may take a while), LUMIN app should AUTOMATICALLY detects any library change. If there is content change, LUMIN app will do a library update (there is a rotating circle at the text line about the tab icons), AUTOMATICALLY, in the background. While LUMIN app is updating any content change, you can keep using LUMIN app. After LUMIN app scanned all library content change (it WILL take a while!), the library will be (automatically) update on LUMIN app.

All the above updating process (except the initial manual "re-scan" on MinimServer), should be done automatically in LUMIN app. There is no need for any manual operation.

The library "Reload"/"Update" options in LUMIN app, is for, whatever the case, IF the above AUTOMATIC library updating doesn't/won't work, then you may try the "Reload"/"Update" process. The "Update" action will check the UPnP server (MinimServer) for it's current content list, and compare with LUMIN app internal content list and update LUMIN app library content for any change. The "Reload" option, will wipe the LUMIN app internal database clear, then scan the server for a full content list.

Normally, both the auto and manual process should work!

About "re-install" the MinimServer, LUMIN app will most likely treat the "re-installed" MinimServer as a NEW server. Every instant of UPnP server has a unique server ID (a series of code like a very long serial number). Even though the server name (from user point of view) is the same before and after the re-installation, LUMIN app may still think they are different servers. In that case, you will need to select the new server (even with the same server name), and let LUMIN app do a flesh scanning of the new library.

If LUMIN app insist there is no active/online server on the network (all item in Library list is grayed out), then there maybe indeed some problem with the server or the network. In that case, please try another UPnP controller (my suggestion, try Kinsky, a decent controller app from Linn). For example, run Kinsky on the same iPad, and check if Kinsky can see the server (MinimServer) and LUMIN player. If Kinsky also can not see the server, then the problem is not within LUMIN app.

I hope the above can help to solve your issue!

Thanks for the quick response. I will check my network, but I suspect that is not the case as everything was working (AirPlay aside) previously. I think I plan to start from scratch and delete/reinstall Lumin App, Minimserver and Audio Station. One quick question...

1) I want to confirm if I need to install Audio Station on Synology at all? If yes, are here any configuration parameters?

The reason I thought I needed Audio Station was the following info on the Lumin Quickstart page:

Make sure the UPnP Media Server is started on your NAS. Instructions can be found on the websites of your NAS manufacturer. For example: Synology instructions and Qnap instructions.

The Synology instructions link seem to indicate that Synology Media Server (called Audio Station) was required for uPnP support...

Maybe I am confused and minimserver does not require Audio Station to be installed....Thanks

So I have been exploring issues on the Minimserver side....no luck yet...See below....It may seem crazy, but I am thinking I need to ditch Minimserver and maybe go with JRiver....Any thoughts on that approach?

Roy Boy Wrote:
So my question is what might be the cause of the control point not seeing the library? I am not sure how to troubleshoot this. Thanks

It sounds like this is a network multicast discovery issue. You can confirm that MinimServer is running by checking the status web page at http://192.168.1.x:9790 where 192.168.1.x is the IP address of the NAS. The tagging messages wouldn't prevent MinimServer from running and being discovered by a control point.

Try powering off all your equipment (router, NAS, LUMIN, iPad) and then power it on in this order:

1) Router (wait 3 minutes for startup to coimplete)

2) NAS (wait 3 minutes for startup to coimplete)

3) LUMIN

4) iPad

I checked the status of Minimserver and it was running....I powered down and back up in the recommended sequence.. Unfortunately this did not change anything. The Lumin app still cannot see the library. I tried Kinsky app and had the same result. I also tried the Lumin app on a different IPAD with the same result...I did verify that Minimserver was running after the power up sequence....Very puzzling...

It does seem a networking issue... I just checked your DS1813 has 4 network ports! If you're using 2 or more network ports, please remove those network cables. Connect only 1 network cable, then reboot the NAS.

Also, you can run Kinsky on PC or Mac and see if it can see the MinimServer.

I am only using one of the ethernet ports. Simon over at the Luminserver forum thought my network might be blocking port 1900 (UPnP discovery port). ..But I did get it working finally ...I am running Minimserver on my Synolgy DS1813...I decided to install the Media Server package as it claimed to be a uPnP server...I thought that maybe the Lumin IPAD app could recognize the Media Server...As soon as I installed Media Server the Lumin app saw the library...I was not sure if the streaming was coming from Minimserver or the Media Server, so I selected a DSD file and it did stream as DSD...so I assume that it must have been using the Minimserver. Does this make any sense why it happened?

It's easy to check on Lumin what is the server (Synology Media Server OR Minimserver) that is serving your files...

You can used both, alternatively, by switching by servers using the Lumin app settings..

Allow enough time for Lumin to rebuild the database...

When I look in the Lumin app for my Library options, I only see one...it is called DS1813 NAS.... I do not think I could be using

the Media Station to stream to the Lumin as I am streaming DSD files and they show up on the Lumin as DSD resolution...I think only Minimserver can do that.

hi Roy Boy,

It seems you have 2 routers interconnected. I guess you are likely using 2 different subnets. Airplay usually won't work between 2 subnets. You said that Airplay works between a Mac and AppleTV. Are these devices on the same router? Could you put LUMIN on the same router as these device and check if Airplay works between them?

As for ports to open for Airplay, there are many! Found this page by a quick search:

Firewall ports utilised by AirPlay

While i do have two routers (both Actiontec FIOS routers) all the devices wired or wireless are on the same subnet 192.168.1.x. The primary router downstairs (coax connected0 is also currently the source of the wireless. The router that is upstairs (also coax connected) which provides the ethernet port has DHCP turned off, WAN coax turned off and currently the wireless is turned off.

I could turn on the wireless and give it the same SSID and password as the downstairs and effectively act as an extender to the wireless network...

From reading this I assume you are purely using the second router as a hub to provide additional ethernet ports... If this is so, may be worth simplifying the situation by replacing this second router with a simple switch from NetGear or Belkin.

Eloise

So I tried an experiment and turned on the WIFI on the Actontec router in the media room with the same SSID and WEP and the primary router so I was basically extending the WIFI. When I did this and was in the same media room then I was able to see Minimserver on the Lumin app (for the first time). It was also still seeing the DS1813 NAS which must have been the Media Server app running on Synology. In addition...the Lumin was now visible as an AirPlay device....I am surprised that the Media Server app was able to stream DSD...That is why I thought it was the Luminserver.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having issues with seeing my Reference Recordings HRX albums on the Lumin...Issue with Reference Recording HRX wav filesI am running the latest Minimserver on a Synology DS1813+ with the Lumin I have DVD media of many of the Reference Recordings HRX high resolution albums which are WAV files with 24/176 resolution. I basically copied the files directly from the media to the /Music volume on the DS1813..However my Lumin control point app does not see any of those albums or artists. I am wondering if I need to convert those wav files to some other foirmat like AIFF or ALAC (to maintain resolution) to "play nice" with Minimserver? A second option would be to try and tag the albums/songs.

What would you recommend? Thanks

The albums are probably listed under Unknown or something similar. The HRx files have no readable tags in this case. I would convert them if you want to tag them and find them easily.

Thanks for the quick response Chris...Have a good weekend.

• 7 months later...

I am running Lumin with Minimserver on Synology DS1815 and the Lumin app . I am about to acquire a large number of WAV file that have been ripped from CDs. They are organized by artist and album. I use BLISS to automatically tag my music and find album art. My concern is whether I can successfuly tag WAV files using BLISS or some other tool If not, then I need to consider converting to another format that is more tag friendly (ALAC, FLAC, etc). If I need to convert I am interested in knowing if there are any tools that would allow a batch convert of all the files. Has anyone run into this issue before and what approaches were successful such that these albums show up on the Lumin app in the artist and album listings...I am still a little bit of a newbie on this...but very willing to learn. Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1 month later...
I am running Lumin with Minimserver on Synology DS1815 and the Lumin app . I am about to acquire a large number of WAV file that have been ripped from CDs. They are organized by artist and album. I use BLISS to automatically tag my music and find album art. My concern is whether I can successfuly tag WAV files using BLISS or some other tool If not, then I need to consider converting to another format that is more tag friendly (ALAC, FLAC, etc). If I need to convert I am interested in knowing if there are any tools that would allow a batch convert of all the files. Has anyone run into this issue before and what approaches were successful such that these albums show up on the Lumin app in the artist and album listings...I am still a little bit of a newbie on this...but very willing to learn. Thanks in advance for any help.

I found XLD as a batch tool to convert the WAV files..and using Metadatics to do the tagging At the recommendation of a few I started with FLAC. After converting to FLAC and tagging and then copying to NAS...the Lumin app could find the album with album search and find the artist with artist search...However the FLAC flies would not play. I selected all the files in that album to play and it just rotated through the entire list and would not play any of the files. I did a retry with a different album with the same result. I then tried to convert to Apple Lossless (M4A)...that worked...So I am wondering if there was some option in the FLAC conversion using XLD that caused this problem or is there some known issues with FLAC files on Lumin with Minimserver? Thanks

• 1 year later...

I have a Lumin A1/Synology DS1813/Minimserver set up that I have been using for some time and quite pleased with. Recently I purchased a Korg DS-DAC-10R for ripping vinyl at high resolution. My first rip was the Music Matters 33 1/3 of Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue that I ripped as DSF in DSD64 and also 24/196 to compare. I am still evaluating those two formats, but it has me thinking that if I am going to spend the time to rip vinyl, shouldn't I rip a the highest resolution I can? That would be DSD128 with the Korg. Of course the A1 cannot play DSD128. I was wondering if is was possible to use MinimStreamer to transcode from DSD128 to DSD64 with the Lumin? Does anyone know if this works? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I ran in to a problem with the Lumin being able to play FLAC DXD files (24/352). I downloaded several 24/352 files from the 2L High

Resolution Test Bench site. The only one that would play on the Lumin was the wav files. None or the FLAC would play. I pulled the files into Metadatics to tag them. I found they were already tagged.

When I select the FLAC files to play on the Lumin nothing happens. Any ideas?

. I was wondering if is was possible to use MinimStreamer to transcode from DSD128 to DSD64 with the Lumin? Does anyone know if this works? Thanks

I posted this question on the Minimstreamer forum and Simon replied that Minimstreamer would support transcoding all DSF to wav 24/384 or 24/352. Currently you cannot specify to transcode only DSD128. I did get it working and confirm that my DSF files are now transcoding to wav 24/384 on the Lumin.

• 6 months later...
We have been working on Roon Ready support for a while, hopefully we'll submit it for Roon certification by the end of this month.

Lumin is seriously considering about support for MQA, but there is no decision at the moment.

I add my vote to Lumin supporting MQA. I love my A1 and the Lumin app. I have been ripping vinyl to DSD128 and transcoding to LPCM 24/384 as well as buying HiRes downloads...Having MQA has the potential to making Tidal my primary source. Keep us updated on your decision. Thanks for a great product.

• 1 month later...

I ran into issue with Lumin app with Mininmserver and my A1. I am using Minimstreamer to transcode files that Lumin A1 cannot read natively (DSD128). I am ripping my vinyl at DSD128 using Korg DS-DAC-10R and transcoding to 24/384. Up until now Minimstreamer forced me to transcode all DSF files (DSD64 and DSD128) to wav 24/384.

There is a new filter option in Minimstreamer that allows for selecting specific sample rates, bit depths or bit rates for transcoding. In my case I just to transcode the DSD128 since the A1 cannot decode and NOT transcode DSD which are primarily downloads or SACD rips. Details on new function here: User guide

This is NOT working in the Lumin App. I validated with Simon at Minimserver that I am using the correct syntax. I tried it using the Kinsky control point and it appears to work correctly. On the Lumin app all my DSF files (64 and 128) are transcoded to 24/384. This might not be such a bid deal other than I am also providing a +6db level increase on the transcode since all the ripped vinyl seems to need it and downloaded DSD64 files or rippped SACD files do not. So I am guessing the issue is in the Lumin app. Does anyone have this working successfully with the Lumin app? Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This question is for Peter Lie.

I have an A1. The latest firmware has improved the Tidal studdering although it is still happening at a lower

frequency. Are there any recommended networking infrastructure changes that would improve the issue (e.g change to Google DNS, change cable port positions on router)? I was not sure based on the postings if these things were truly helpful.

I currently have my Lumin and Synology DS1813+ on the same D-Link unmanaged 8 port switch. That switch is connected to a Verizon (now Frontier) bridged router MI424WR. My listening room is on the second floor of my house, so my primary Verizon router is on the first floor with the bridged router providing ethernet ports in the media room. I do have other media-related devices on that 8-port switch (Oppo 103D, AppleTV, Tivo, Tivo Mini). Thanks for any insights