IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

20 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

A question about connectivity.  I know that Lumin doesn't recommend connecting both the balanced and unbalanced outputs of the Lumin, the S1 in my case, at the same time.

Can someone give me the technical reasons for not doing this?  Is it an impedance or loading issue or what exactly is it?  The reason I ask is that I'd like to use one of the outputs to drive a headphone amp without having the entire system up and running or having to swap cables.

Thank you!

Doing this negates the benefit of the balanced design. Just connect your headphone amp when you want to use it and then disconnect when done.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

• 8 months later...

Isn't the IP address "tied" to the unit itself? In other words, you can move a component to a different location and the Router will usually retain the same IP address. Yes, the Router will hold the IP address for the Teac (but not indefinitely) but should assign a new IP address for any new component that it detects on the network. The Router doesn't know physically where the component is.

8 hours ago, JMD54 said:

If you put the Lumin in place of a working device on the switch in the Audio Room then the Router will still be looking for the device you took out.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

• 5 months later...

@wklie Does the Lumin software provide a sync delay setting like Roon & Aurender to give DACs additional time for sample rate changes? This can be particularly useful/helpful when using S/PDIF inputs. I'm considering a U1 but would really like to have this feature available.

9 hours ago, wklie said:

There is a built-in delay that is not customizable.

Thanks. That is interesting, how long is the delay?

11 hours ago, wklie said:

I'm afraid I cannot disclose that.

Well, I guess I won't be taking the risk of buying a U1 unless I'm sure I won't get the occasional beginning of a track clipped off. The units are not returnable & I have no way of trying one in my home first. That's really a shame as I didn't really want to buy an Aurender as I prefer using a NAS. I will not be renewing my Roon subscription so I was looking for a better sounding solution.

4 hours ago, texashaker said:

Regarding DSD playback on the LUMIN U1 Mni - I am able to playback using the USB output of the LUMIN, into my USB input of my DAC/preamp.

You need to know what DSD "format" your DAC supports (if any). If your DAC supports the DOP format (DSD over PCM) then you should be able to use USB or SPDIF inputs (at least up to DSD64). What DAC are you using?

• 3 weeks later...

@wklie Hi! I wanted to get a feel for using the Lumin App by playing to my ultraRendu in DNLA/MPD mode. I installed minimserver on my Synology NAS and installed the Lumin App onto my 11" iPad Pro. Everything seemed to be working correctly, however every time I "wake" my iPad the music will stop and when I try to get it playing again the entire queue vanishes. What am I missing here? TIA.

10 hours ago, wklie said:

That depends on how the particular OpenHome renderer implementation behaves.  What you describe does not occur on Lumin hardware - the Lumin OpenHome implementation is developed in-house and not based on any existing OpenHome open source implementation.

OK, thanks. I figured that this would not be typical behavior for Lumin hardware. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can before investing in a U1, I want to be sure that this is my best choice for my situation.

• 1 year later...

I have been using the Lumin app to control a non-Lumin streamer along with minimserver 2. Some of my albums contain the Group tag to "group" individual movements of a work such as the movements of a symphony. In the Lumin app any piece that contains the Group tag is separated from the album and sorted by the Group tag rather than being part of the album. In other words, any tracks on the album that contain a Group tag are sorted by the Group tag instead of remaining as part of the album. Tracks without the Group tag remain sorted by the album name. Is this intended behavior or am I doing something incorrectly?

This is not a minimserver issue as the Lumin App behaves in the same manner using Auralic's Lightning Server. Just trying to determine if this is expected behavior.

Stefano, thank you for your posts. I did read your thread in the minimserver forum and it did provide some help. I think the best approach for me is to not use the Group tag as it seems to be behaving differently depending on which control app is being used. It appears that Auralic is not using the Group tag in the same way as minimserver or the Lumin App. Best to keep things simple for now. Cheers!

• 1 year later...

Same issue for me with Lumin App on iPad Pro with ultraRendu & MinimServer. I started playing an album using the replace queue function and the forward, back and pause buttons do not work. I had to launch Kazoo in order to stop the music playing. All was fine before.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, the_bat said:

That wasn't what I expected - I 'd have expected it to work fully or not at all.  I should have paid more attention to the app store description which said I could use it to browse a music library on a UPnP AV server and play songs on a Lumin network player.  Given the good publicity the ap gets it didn't occur to me that I'd need another app if I had a mixed system of Lumin and non-Lumin players.

Try using the Esoteric Sound Stream app instead. The last time I used it all of the functionality worked correctly.