IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

You will get different answers but I have recorded a lot of vinyl over the last few years. I use an RME Babyface Pro as an A/D converter to record from my Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, with 4 Point arm and Dynavector XV-1S cartridge, and Einstein phono stage, and then stream through a Lumin U1 Mini to an Ayre QX5 dac.

I suggest recording at 32 bits and either 96 or 192 and then downsampling the final product to 24/96 or even 16/44. I like vinyl but it is a low resolution medium and in my experience you will not hear any difference between replay at 16/44 and 24/384.

• 4 months later...
On 11/13/2019 at 3:14 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m working on my review of the X1 ....

Very good news. With my X1 arriving in a few days, I will be very interested to read your review. Hopefully you will be able to include some comparisons with a few comparable DAC/streamers, such as the Ayre QX5, Mytek Manhattan II and - especially - the DCS Bartok. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is anyone else finding that the Lumin X1 output is very high? Compared to other dacs I have it seems to be significantly louder, and appears to overload the input on the preamp. I have tried it with two different amps, both from the RCA and XLR outputs and it seems to be consistent across all of them. I am having to run it at the lower volume setting to prevent distortion. 

It seems to overload the inputs of both my Ayre AX5 Twenty  and my LFD NCSE, even though it is well within spec for the input on the Ayre. It also depends on the music - highly compressed music with a mostly high output level seems to fare worst.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
6 hours ago, wklie said:

There is digital audio path optimization for Lumin X1 T2 analog output since Firmware 13 (at volume 100).  I hope you find it to sound better as many users do, but if you think it's worse please let me know.

I will try using the low volume setting. However, I find with Firmware 13 and 13a the sound is a little thinner and there is a little more background "hash" and high frequency noise. I definitely don't find it better.

Is there a way to roll back to the previous firmware?

I have reinstalled the 12 firmware on my Lumin X1 (thanks @wklie) and the sound is definitely improved. I found that the 13/13a firmware sounded thin and slightly noisy - and I don't usually pick up on differences between firmware versions.

The 12 firmware sounds a little darker, fuller and weightier, with quieter backgrounds. I'd be interested to know if any other X1 owners have experienced anything similar with the latest firmware.

• 1 month later...

I have a U1 Mini and an X1, and found that the uptone etherRegen (using a DH Labs ethernet cable) was a huge upgrade for both. When I used both the U1 Mini and the X1 as a digital source for another DAC, I actually found the improvement from the etherRegen was bigger than the difference between the U1 Mini and the X1.