IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

If you want to go through the process of extracting DSF from ISO and keeping minimserver, I've been using sacd-ripper - SACD ripping software using a PS3 - Google Project Hosting with great success.

It's a command line utility that produces DSF files from ISO.

Usage: sacd_extract [options] [outfile]

-2, --2ch-tracks : Export two channel tracks (default)

-m, --mch-tracks : Export multi-channel tracks

-e, --output-dsdiff-em : output as Philips DSDIFF (Edit Master) file

-p, --output-dsdiff : output as Philips DSDIFF file

-s, --output-dsf : output as Sony DSF file

-I, --output-iso : output as RAW ISO

-c, --convert-dst : convert DST to DSD

-C, --export-cue : Export a CUE Sheet

-i, --input[=FILE] : set source and determine if "iso" image,

device or server (ex. -i192.168.1.10:2002)

-P, --print : display disc and track information

Help options:

-?, --help : Show this help message

--usage : Display brief usage message

So for example, I've been using:

sacd_extract -2 –s –c –i”SACDNAME.iso”

Then I've been using JRiver to tag the DSF files as MP3TAG doesn't support them yet.

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

Thanks Ted. That makes life easier! (although I've already done my back-catalogue).

I just wish MP3TAG would hurry up and add DSF support, then my ripping for Minimserver and Lumin workflow would be about as good as I could hope for.

• 5 months later...

Hi Thierry

Regarding the settings.

I noticed that since moving to iOS7 that when I scroll down the settings list, every tap is registered as a tap, even if I scroll with that same tap. So I found I was inadvertently changing settings just to scroll down the settings. I've let psme know about this.

Could this be what's happening?

• 2 months later...

I don't think you'd be able to control LUMIN at all without a network connection to it.

The only control methods are from the iPad app or from other UPnP controllers such as PC Kinsky or other android/iPad apps.

Also - the settings for the LUMIN are set using the iPad app.

Edit: Could you use a powerline network system to connect to LUMIN?

• 1 month later...

Hi dariusb

Firmware 5 is already available to download. If you have "Check for firmware updates" selected, the app will auto-detect the new firmware and prompt you to update.

To make use of the new radio features, you will also require App version 2.0.4.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
All my complaints and appears its I who have network issue(s) unrelated to my Lumin. Thanks to Mark of Lumin USA for being most generous with his time and helping me sort things out.

That's great news!

Are there any details you can give that may help others in the future?

• 7 months later...
Hi

I have a questen i have been thinking about. Is it possible to use lumin for movie audio, without any delay to the picture. i currently use a htpc for music and video, connected to my eximus dp1 dac.

In my question i assume that it is possible to playback video on my htpc and stream the audio to lumin player.

Is it possible?

I don't know for sure Langendorf, but LUMIN can accept a stream from UPnP or Airplay, so if you can get your HTPC to deliver the movie audio in either of those while keeping the video to itself, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

It's not something I've done (although I have watched iPad videos with the audio going to LUMIN).

My feeling is that Airplay is the way to go, as it automatically takes over the LUMIN Play Queue. You'll be limited to 16bit 44KHz, but that shouldn't be a problem.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't had the opportunity to try it, but I imagine it already does, as the width and height of the app are already fluid.

So the width of the playlist will remain constant, but the browse area will expand.

The playlist will be longer than on other iPads.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, JoseL said:

Hi,

Can Lumin software (using MinimServer) display two or more libraries (from different folders or hard drives) separately?

I mean instead of a single library with all the contents mixed, is it possible to have for example Library 1, 2, 3, etc?

TIA 

You can do it with Minimerver running on different machines (I have a NAS and Windows both running different libraries).
You can also do it on Windows (according to this thread) but I haven't tried it.
I don't think it's possible on other devices.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, ThierryNK said:

Hi

I find very "strange" that people with high end Hifi gears are so interested in MQA that is a lossy format.

When lossy formats appear "better" than lossless ones on a system, it makes me consider acoustic/speakers/amplifier issues but never leads me to the conclusion that the lossy format is "better".

In rooms with acoustic issues, and/or poor amplification and/or poor speakers, MP3 appears also "better" than 16/44, as dynamic range is lower, with less bass and less treble, and finally less demands on room/amplifier/speakers.

Kind regards

If you take studio masters as the source, then both MQA and 16/44 are lossy.
MQA attempts to use lower bandwidth than studio masters, but more than 16/44 (so therefore loses less than 16/44) and focusses on what it feels are the most important aspects for human enjoyment. i.e. timing.

If I can get DSD or 24/192 etc formats, then I don't need MQA, but when the best streaming available is 16/44, then MQA should offer more. Even MQA in their talks at shows haven't been selling it as better than DSD/hires, just a better compromise that provides the streaming service with a lighter load, and customers with something better than redbook.

Unfortunately 'lossless' and 'lossy' have been used historically with respect to 'cd quality', so have lost their meaning when we are now talking about studio masters.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, One and a half said:

For the L1 does it have a separate power supply or is there a direct AC connection?

There is a 12V DC input on LUMIN L1. A switching power supply is included.

If the drive goes phut for a reason, if a new one is installed, with the L1 automatically format the new disk?

There is a post here regarding drive replacement

http://www.audioshark.org/lumin-169/lumin-l1-4tb-5tb-hdd-12816.html

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Spotify isn't within the app, so it's just TIDAL and Qobuz.
Another trick (undocumented I think). By tapping the text itself, you can go to the item on the same streaming service too.

i.e. last night I was listening to a single TIDAL track I had in a playlist and wondered what the rest of the album was like. I tapped the album title text and it took me to the whole album on TIDAL, so that I could add all the tracks to the playlist and listen.

6 minutes ago, Chiller said:

Hi Folks,

I'm just wondering if there is a lumin app for Macbook available? I find the app on my phone to be a bit small and only have one Ipad in the family that's usually in use by somebody else.

Hi Chiller. No there isn't. Only iOS and Android. However many other UPnP apps work fine like Linn Kazoo

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, ddude003 said:

Again, I would suggest there are stations/streams that support AAC 128 and/or Lossless FLAC @ up to 320...

128 and/or 320 > 44.1...

The figures of 128 and 320 that are mentioned are in kbps and are Lossy. AAC is Apple's lossy equivalent of lossy MP3.
The lossless FLAC should in theory be the same as AirPlay (and CD), but the fact it mentions 320kbps confuses things as that would refer to a lossy bitrate and is not usually associated with FLAC.

In all these cases, AirPlay should be capable of sending them without further compression to LUMIN.

I don't know of any high res radio stations that AirPlay couldn't handle.

TuneIn bitrates vary by station up to 320kbps afaik

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Liam said:

I asked Bluesound if their BluOS app influenced sound quality of the Node 2i with regard to what device it was installed on, because I thought it made a difference, an iPad Pro thought to be better than an iPad 2, and they said no.  My 'Pro' bias was instantly cured.

Based on that advice I can't say why the Lumin app versus any other controller would be different?  If there was a difference it would be likely related to the stream source rather than the app surely?  

Roon isn't really an app - it's a whole system of server, processor and app. If features dsp processing, upsampling/downsampling and other features, so it definitely has the possibility of sounding different.
You are right that UPnP apps shouldn't sound different from one another though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, DrNikonian said:

Hi,

where to input these syntaxes? A question from newbie

thank you very much

Hi DrNikonian
First, you need to have the MinimStreamer package installed on MinimServer.
This may require updating MinimServer to the latest version:
https://minimstreamer.com/installing.html

Then in MinimServer > Properties > System Tab you should see some new fields (highlighted below):
image.png.9fb45891a196cb2731926674ea2e16ef.png

The green highlighted field is where these transcoding strings should be entered.

(although on the latest MinimServer and MinimStreamer, I can't get the strings listed above to be accepted)

More help here:
https://minimstreamer.com/userguide.html#Transcoding

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, chungjh said:

BlueSkyy, what you say makes sense.

On a different note, does anyone know how to create multiple playlists on Lumin app? Every time I try to enter a new play list it just tries to change the title of the old one. I would like to have different playlists for each genre.

stefano_mbp is correct above - we've actually just changed the layout of this area and updated our instructions page:
See here:
http://www.luminmusic.com/support-app.html#playlist

I'll paste it below - but it might not read as well:

Save and Load:

Browse: Save/Load Playlist

The 'Playlist' button (highlighted) is used to both Save and Load Playlists.

Save new: Type in your new Playlist Name in the text box and then tap the Save Playlist'Save' button.

Overwrite: Tap the Playlist Name in the list that you wish to overwrite and then tap the Save Playlist'Save' button.

Load: Tap your chosen Playlist Name, or type the name into the text box and then tap the Load Playlist'Load' button.

Edit name: Tap on the Playlist Name you wish to edit, then tap the Edit Playlist'Edit' button. Type your new name into the popup.

Delete: Tap on the Playlist Name you wish to delete, then tap the Delete Playlist'Delete' button.

Save TIDAL/Qobuz tracks to TIDAL/Qobuz playlist: Type in your new Playlist Name in the text box and then tap the Save TIDAL Playlistor Save Qobuz Playlist'Save' button. The songs from the corresponding service will be saved to the 'My Playlists' section of the TIDAL/Qobuz systems.

In all above cases you are given an ok/cancel confirmation box

Search: At the top of the pop-up is a search bar. Start typing in your search term and the LUMIN App will filter the results.