IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Hi Psme,

it is "techncially" (e.g., by using firmwire upgrade) possible to make use of Lumin USB port to connect to external HDD or USB cdrom to play sound files and CDs ?

Kevin

I bought this player in HK last Sunday. Took me 2 nights to work on my NAS to stream via Minim Server....took quite a bit to install Java.

But I had a hell of a good time listening to this player for 2 hours before I go to bed last night. Sounds great!!

I am also wondering if it is possible to stream DSD from Lumin to a DAC through the USB ports behind.

(Audio)

• 3 months later...

How could anyone promoting a DAC in CES want to put the lumin in the same room? :)

psme, I am looking forward to you doing something with the Lumin for multichannel. What is the HDMI output in the Lumin for? My wish list is for it to be connected to a AV processor for multichannel playback. Imagine just how great it is to playback all your multichannel SACD, the current Blu ray Audio......

I am patiently waiting for your announcement for Lumin upgrade, if possible.

(Audio)

• 3 months later...

For me the next thing I would like to have, is a lumin app version, which can handle my "jriver player" running on my laptop for all my copied original SA-CD ISO Files on my NAS, to play over my lumin player, including the cover database and tagging information. Like the iphone and ipad app "jremote". I dont want to use two apps and two database on an ipad for DSD and orginial ISO Files!

Or is there any other option you can recommend?

I am not sure if I completely understand your request but you are requesting for a Lumin App, right?

I have stopped using the Lumin App since day 2 after i bought my Lumin. I use JRemote exclusively with the Lumin and it does everything you wanted....i have one app, one database and I play all DSD and ISO files effortlessly.

Why wait when you can do everything now?

(Audio)

• 3 months later...

I already spend 2 days trying to use Windows Server 2013 R2 but :-

(1) One of my motherboard was too old (Intel DZ77BH-55K) there is no ethernet controller driver for it under Windows Server 2012 R2.

(2) I killed my Maximus VII Gene while trying to update BIOS.....

I am still trying, i will be getting a new motherboard this evening......

(Audio)

• 1 year later...

I saw a new firmware upgrade just a couple of days ago. I think it was 7.03. After the upgrade, my JRiver can no longer see my Lumin S1 in the network. For the first time in years, I have to use the Lumin App for playback with the Lumin and it sucks big time.

What had they done to the Lumin in term of DLNA networking for this firmware? I hope they resolve it quickly.

(Audio)

I tested JRiver MC20, it has no problem seeing Lumin S1 (running firmware 7.03). Later I'll try a different setup when I have access to it.

Meanwhile, I suggest shutting down the computer runnig JRiver, cutting power to your Lumin, rebooting your WiFi router / AP / switches (if any), waiting for 5 minutes, then powering on the Lumin and the computer again. If it does not work, check the message I sent you.

Wklie, I thank you for reacting very quickly to my rescue of my S1 by linking me to the 7.01 firmware. Even though I have download the downgrade, before I can insert the thumbdrive into my Lumin, my Lumin S1 had recovered and JRiver MC21 is working with 7.03.....as it should.

I cannot understand what had happened then but it cannot be the fault of the 7.03 firmware upgrade. Everything's alright now.

(Audio)

• 9 months later...

I am a owner of both Lumin A1 and the S1. The pricing of S1 is completely wrong, in my opinion. There is no reason why the S1 should be priced more than twice the price of the A1. It shows when you lower the price of the S1 by as much as 40% at the recent HK AV show.

So now there is going to be another flagship, I hope you would have more sensible pricing to keep your loyal fans.... :)

You can keep to the HK spirits of recycling by offering board upgrades....you won't be polluting the earth with scrap A1, S1 casings.

(Audio)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

....and you can operate JRiver directly from a QNAP NAS.

Just download the JRiver for QNAP App on your QNAP NAS and let it run from there.  You no longer need a PC.

You just upload new content to your folder in the NAS.  And then update your JRiver using the "import a single folder".

(Audio)

• 1 year later...

Hi wklie,

I have communicate this idea to you several years ago and hope that you will look at it again.

The Lumin display had not change since the introduction of A1.  Nothing  wrong with it but from the standpoint of usability, the bit and sample rate is a little too small to be read from the realistic listening position.  (See First Picture below)

I am suggest that you provide an alternative display mode.  One that uses the entire display to show the bit and sample rate as shown below (Second picture).  This improve the usability and show an parameter that is important especially when you want to compare different formats of the same song.  No point showing me the song title again...what is important is what bit and sample rate is the Lumin delivering.   If switching between display mode is difficult and confusing, I suggest the displaying the new song title for initial 3 seconds and then the alternate mode for 5 second whenever a new song is played.  

Help!!  I cannot keep walking to the lumin display to know what bit and sample rate every time I play a song.

Thanks for the consideration.

(Audio)

lumindisplay.jpg

luminnewdisplay.JPG

1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

don't think what you hope will happen but just in case... I suggest, instead, showing bit/sample rate for the first 3-5 seconds then go back to track info 😛

I do respect the team from Lumin...they are a pretty active group and they change their firmware so regularly, implementing new features.

I suggested displaying the new song title for the first 3 second to indicate that whenever you selected is now being streamed.  This gives the users the familiarity of the flow and the confirmation of the selection.   The next 5 seconds to to save me from eyestrains and having to walk to the front of the Lumin to find out the bit and sample rate of whatever is playing......

(Audio)

7 hours ago, FIndingit said:

Do you completely turn off your phone/pad when you start listening and cannot check the sample rate on the app?

The Lumin displays information for various reasons.  The name of the song, the bit and sample rate, the progress of the song (clock face)....all these could be found on the app but the display CONFIRMS the parameters of actual playback.  These are NOT reductant information.

And what if you did a sample rate upscale  (X2, X4 sample rates), a format conversion (PCM to DSD) or you need a confirmation that you are indeed playing MQA instead of normal 44.1KHz sampling of a MQA encoded track?  Only the Lumin display can validate that this is happening.

Ever since my first Lumin A1 in 2013, I have been plagued with this problem, the inability to confirm actual playback bit and sample rate from my listening position.  During the first few months, I was actually playing  MP3 without  knowing that JRiver converted all my AIFF and FLAC playback to MP3.  I only noticed it one day when I was close enough to observe the display.

(Audio)

10 hours ago, pl_svn said:

what about moving closer when setting up your system then, once everything is as you want it, just forget about it?

settings won't change by themselves but tracks, during a playback session... will 😉

Easy for you to say.

I got a small room and I am already sitting 6 ft away from my Lumin.  How much closer do you want me to sit?  3 ft?  All the displays on my Ayre QX-5, Ayre KX-R and my Denon AVC-X8500H, I can read but the Lumin bit and sample rate, it is almost impossible to read.  Even the X2 image.

Like I say again, the Lumin display is a verification / confirmation of the playback parameters.  It is not about any changes.

(Audio)

IMG_8290.jpeg

IMG_8291.jpeg

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
36 minutes ago, wklie said:

I think so - but I'm not in marketing, and it's always subject to change without notice.

At this time, my current recommendation for SATA SSD is Samsung 870 EVO (not QVO).  Subject to change without notice.

As long as the firmware lead can confirm there is nothing in the software to prohibit DIY installation of SSD that I am game to go try one unit of L2.

Thanks Peter for your feedback.

(Audio)

26 minutes ago, AZ Craig said:

Since I have always assumed that mechanical disks will fail at some point, I have replaced the drive that comes with the L1 with a SSD drive.  It probably invalidates the warranty but I assumed that I could put the original drive back in if I had the units still under warranty.  The process is pretty simple but you need a very long narrow phillips screwdriver because the front panel is screwed in from the back which means you have to unscrew through the opening in the back.  Other than that, it's just like changing a drive in a PC.  I keep the original drive as a backup.

Thanks for your feedback.  My current music server is running a 8 X 1TB SSD RAID0 which is why I should buy a zero TB L2.  They way I see it, I would be only using the L2 as a switch.  I am running completely optical in my 10GB network.

If the L2 sounds good then I will try it out with spare SSDs to see if it could sounds better than my music server.

I am currently using Lumin U2, X1 and my USB DAC is an Ayre QX-5.

(Audio)

12 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

I am curious why you chose RAID0 and not some fault tolerant level like RAID5?

This is because this RAID0 library runs on my main AMD 32-core music server.... the aim is to obtain the best throughput possible so it is obvious I have to do RAID0.

This library is being mirrored to another standby Intel 18-core Xeon music server (My Roon server) and backups can be found on 2 separate NAS within the network.   I also have a copy of my music library in my main desktop PC.

If my RAID0 failed................there are 4 backups to restore it.  RAID0 it is!!

(Audio)