IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Thanks for the interest! :)

LUMIN is a dedicated network music player. The real power of LUMIN is it's DAC circuit and analog output stage.

A friend sold his Antelope Eclipse 384 DAC + lsochrone 10M Clock and now using only LUMIN with a better sound.

Another friend with a full (4 boxes) set of dCS Scarlatti also likes the LUMIN better.

It is likely that you may find the LUMIN alone sounds better than your whole digital chain.

associated with LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

If the DAC section is so good it is a shame there are not more inputs.

LUMIN plays audio files, from mp3 to DSD, 44.1khz to 384khz/32bit. IMO there is no shame in that!

I've most of my music in files, including SACD (PS3 rip) and vinyl rip in DSD using a KORG recorder. If you haven't, you should start! :D

PSMe, I sent you a PM. :)

Questions for this thread:

1) I use a Synology DS410 NAS for simple file serving with my Windows 8 music server and Meitner DSD-capable MA-1 DAC. I see that the Synology is a good fit with Lumin as it can be configured easily for Lumin's UPnP server. However, i also see that the software, Minimserver, can be installed on a Windows (or Linux or MAC) box. Which would be the best sonically for a setup like mine (i.e minimserver on Synology or on Windows box, with Synology used how??).

2) the free Lumin iPad app looks very nice. I currently use jremote (iPad) with j River so this apradigm is nice, and familiar (also used Apple remote and Linux MPD's mPad). If I were to "pre-configure" or play with setup of the NAS and the iPad app would it mess with my folder structure already in place on the NAS that J RIver is pointed to? I would not want to mess with my production setup. Thanks

1)

I think different UPnP server shouldn't affect sound quality, as long as the renderer (LUMIN player) gets the original audio file data. Nevertheless, in this case, I'd suggest to run MinimServer on the Synology NAS for the best server side performance since MinimServer has direct access to the audio file on local HDD. You can easily disable or remove the Synology MinimServer if you don't need it anymore.

2)

If the audio files are properly tagged, using MinimServer as UPnP server, iPad LUMIN app should properly present all the album and song for a nice browsing and playing experience. There is no need to change existing audio files structure to suit LUMIN playback.

There is a LUMIN app discussion thread over on Linn forum:

LUMIN iPad controller app

The HDMI and SPDIF (BNC) outputs are for those may want to integral LUMIN to other equipment such as AV receiver for casual listening, or even a backyard party! :D Also the HDMI is the only common interface which supports DSD bitstream output. If people thinks those digital output are really no use, LUMIN can certainly do without them! :D

There is no internet radio function yet. It will be added later through firmware upgrade.

I already answered "why HDMI" question.

LUMIN does not support DSD128.

The USB port is for firmware upgrade. In the future, it may be possible to play music file on a directly connected USB storage.

Think of LUMIN as a audiophile SA/CD player. Instead of playing a physical disc, it plays all types of audiophile music files on a networked server.

In term of traditional DAC+USB/FW/SPDIF+PC/MAC+iTunes/other softplayer, think of LUMIN is all of those devices/components combined, with the music files on a networked storage device (a NAS for example).

Thanks for trying LUMIN app. LUMIN app is still in early functional stage and under heavy development. All the functions you mentioned are already planned will be added soon.

In the meantime, you can use Kinsky, or other UPnP controller app such as PlugPlayer, SongBook Lite, or even foobar2000 with UPnP plugin to control the LUMIN player. That's the beauty of using a open protocol for a network music player.

Glad to see you here, Kevin! :)

Please update LUMIN app to the latest version 1.1.1 (released yesterday). There is a "Idle Sleep" option in the LUMIN settings. Get it to 15mins or 1hour, then LUMIN will go to standby when no music is played in the timeout. When select a song to play again the LUMIN will auto wakeup.

Or you can always physically turn off the LUMIN via it's power supply unit front switch. It'll take around 15seconds to turn on. And the last playlist and current song will be restored.

hi Tonino,

The chips under the heatsink is the CPU chips. The space on the circuit board was originally for a DAB chips. But in the development phase we found that it's hard to totally eliminate RF noise which may affect the sound quality of other component. In the end the DVB function was not added in order to provide the highest audiophile performance.

LUMIN uses a pair of Wolfson WM8741 DAC chips. You can see the DAC chips in avbuzz's photos. We evaluated a few DAC chips. The WM8741 is a proven technology with upto 384khz/32bit PCM decode and native DSD 2.8Mhz support. The most important job is in the implementation (both digital and analog) and the result speaks for itself!

A friend with a EMMLab SACD player now use the LUMIN because the same DSD file ripped from his SACD sounds much better than the real SACD disc playing on his SACD player!

Last Sunday I helped a friend setup his LUMIN because the sound is better than his Wadia Series 9 decoding computer!

I understand (audiophile) sound quality is very much personal. I believe the LUMIN can hold it's own place! Try it and you may like it! :)

Thanks for the reminder! :)

Some people are (naturally) asking sound quality of the LUMIN. It'd be really weird if I use some colorful description on sound quality on my own. That's why I simple quote some of the setups/examples that the LUMIN are in use. Yes it does sound very much self promotion from another angle! I'm sorry about that and will try to not touch on similar comment.

On the other hand, I don't really understand how those example setup will "backfire" on me.

Seeing as it is realized Lumin (with two separate tabs one for the digital and one for the DAC analog section) I think it's important to give you the chance to choose the DAC.

In the production phase should not be difficult to have a version only with digital outputs, basically it is to remove a card and make a new rear panel.

Happy New Year

Tonino

The problem is in the high bitrate PCM and DSD bitstream output. The common interface SPDIF is only up to 192khz/24bit. And there is no other common interface for DSD bitstream besides HDMI. Even with DSD bitstream on HDMI, there is no audiophile grade DAC with HDMI input for DSD bitstream that I know of. Basically, it's a dead end!

LUMIN is NOT a regular PC/Mac. USB output of 384khz/32bit PCM and DoP over USB is not an option.

Well, if you can only consider a PC/Mac to external DAC with a USB connection, then obviously LUMIN is not that kind of product!

Hi psme

In your promo of your product (and congrats on the product) you stated it was a replacement for an SACD player.

With all due respects not quite (yet)

Quality SACD players reached the point of multichannel DSD. That is straight pure DSD with no conversion to PCM. With outputs via analog 7.1. This avoided the PCM conversion required for HDMI and inherent jitter problems of the interface.

The other benchmark achieved with SACD players was 100% guaranteed playback of multichannel (or stereo for that matter ) no stuttering or streaming problems: because the source tracks where on a disc.

So im amazed someone doesn't build a true SACD equivalent player with inbuilt 940 GB SSD, or esata or thunderbolt for similar attached storage expansion. And 7.1 analog output. Then I'll buy one.

As I said if just streaming these DSD files was easy , i think Linn would have already done it.

The $20k (or is it $30k?) EMMLab SACD player has only 2 channels output. I guess in your opinion it is not really a SACD player? :)

As for streaming DSD is easy... well, I say it's very hard. LUMIN has it done, others haven't!

hmm...they do look a bit similar. I guess great mind think alike? :) DAC circuit design usually started with reference board design, change this layout, add that component, something like that for the final style. It's lots of trial and error alone the way. The Lundahl transformer idea was first come it's usage in Jeff Rowland gears I think. I really like the sound signature through those transformer, sounds very smooth and analog like, great extension at both end. Sort of like a solid state tube! :)

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if they use the Direct DSD mode offered by Wolfson (assuming it's either WM8741 or WM8742)? Or does it go through the PCM conversion? If there's digital volume control with DSD, then it is likely going through the PCM conversion, since Wolfson offers digital volume for DSD only through PCM conversion.

If you know the designer, you know. Well, I know! ;) We tried very hard to implement the real DSD native mode (called DSD Direct in Wolfson terms). One of the difficulty is the handling of "mute" operation, because unlike PCM mode which works by fade out the volume and feeding zero into the DAC, DSD is total different. In DSD everything is relative...

So did you succeed and it is using DSD Direct? :)

Of course it is native DSD Direct mode! :)

LUMIN also does DSD to PCM conversion on the fly for those need it for whatever reason. In the LUMIN app, there is an option to set DSD in native mode or convert to PCM mode. In DSD native (direct) mode, SPDIF (BNC) has no output, HDMI outputs DSD bitstream. In DSD to PCM covert mode, user can set DSD to 176.4/88.2/44.1 PCM for SPDIF and HDMI PCM output.

Luka, your two relevant posts are...

Personally I find the implication (if not directly an accusation) to be you are suggesting that LUMIN have copied Linn.

May I ask you directly I you have some kind of axe to grind considering you have made 6 posts on this forum, all in this thread and (to my mind) all of them of a negative nature?

Eloise

Thanks for the support! When luka mentioned similarity to a Klimax DS, I thought he/she was half joking, so I replied accordingly. Yes, both Klimax DS and LUMIN use the same WM8741 DAC and a output transformer. And every thing else are totally different. A WM8741 DAC and a output transformer alone don't make an audiophile streamer!

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I can only ignore those not worth reading! Now back to enjoying music, in native DSD! :)

1) Why DoP? Isn't DoP about USB connectivity?

I thought someone would ask this! Thanks for asking! :)

DoP stands for "DSD over PCM". It's a bitstream format. It just so happen the first usage of this new bitstream format is in USB connection. In theory one can use DoP format over any physical connection.

On the LUMIN, DoP means playing/streaming an audio file which is in the DoP bitstream format (kind of like packing a DTS signal in PCM container in the old day). LUMIN already supports DSD playback in .DIF (DIFF) and .DSF file formats, so why DoP format? The reason is for easy tagging and UPnP Server serving. Currently, I think only foobar2000 (with SACD plugin) supports DIFF and DSF tagging. KORG's AudioGate supports DSF tagging, but not DIFF I think. Maybe jRiver also support DIFF/DSF tagging? Ok, even you have all the DIF/DSF files tagged, since LUMIN works as a UPnP Renderer in a UPnP AV protocol, the UPnP Server also needs to support native DIFF/DSF files. foobar2000 UPnP plugin and MinimServer support these native DSD file types, but most generic UPnP Server don't.

Here is DoP "file" comes in handy. We modified foobar2000 SACD plugin, added an extra option, "covert to DSD over PCM". You start with a PS3 ripped SACD ISO file, or a regular DIFF or DSF file. Put those ISO/DIF/DSF file in foobar2000, right click and select "convert". It will output DoP file in 176.4/24 PCM format, with native DSD packed in DoP style. This DoP file can be in whatever lossless formats, WAV/AIFF/ALAC/FLAC etc. Then you can do tagging easily using your favorite tagging program, such as MP3Tag. These DoP formatted WAV/AIFF/ALAC/FLAC works on any UPnP Server which supports these common PCM file formats.

When LUMIN play/stream a lossless PCM file (WAV/AIFF/ALAC/FLAC), if DoP content is detected, LUMIN will properly extract the native DSD data, and goes into DSD native playback.

If you play these DoP file on a player which has no DoP "file" support, it will treat it as regular 176.4/24 PCM file. The resulting audio is a very very low volume white noise.

That was long! :)

Hi psme.

Just a interesting thing to know. There is an earth connection at the back of both lumin and transformer. Is there any special usage? Or Used to connect to those earth box for tuning? haha...

Sorry for missing this question! The earth connector is for those setup without an earth pin in the mains lead. In that case please connect the earth connector to an earthing terminal.

hi Darius,

Please see these screen captures of LUMIN app.

lumin-options1-s.jpg

By default everything is at Native mode, DSD in -> DSD out, PCM in to PCM out etc. If you enable "Custom", there are lots of options. You can select DSD to PCM conversion. Independently config each PCM sampling group to up or down sample. Or force output bit depth to 16 or 24 bit.

Via firmware update, more options can be added in future.

lumin-options3-s.jpg

lumin-options2-s.jpg

How good is the internal clock for Lumin?

Since LUMIN plays PCM audio files from 44.1khz to 384khz and DSD file in 2.8Mhz, LUMIN uses 4 units of NZ2520S Series Clock Oscillator. 1 for low frequency 44.1khz and multiples, 1 for low frequency 48khz and multiples, 1 for high frequency 44.1khz multiples, and 1 for high frequency 48khz multiples.

The NZ2520S Series Clock Oscillator is used due to their ultra low phase noise property. Together with a circuit board designed specifically for audio application, we believe the combination gives the best audio performance.

Btw, there are some internal photos of LUMIN external dual-toroidal Power Supply Unit on this page:

LUMIN Part II