IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

Chris,

Nice write-up, as usual.

Question: you say "Carbon is my favorite CAPS design thus far and it's the one I use every day.......The sound quality from the CAPS v3 Carbon server is equal to or better than the best servers I've heard in recent memory." Although I realize that the Carbon version's main differentiators are its documented expandability and open real estate (for future yet-discovered expandability) the truth is that the way you are using it currently is identical to the Lagoon, except for the SOtM SATA filter. Are you saying the Carbon sounds better than the Lagoon? And if so, do you trace it to the filter? Or am i reading this the wrong way, and what you are saying is that you can really only use one CAPS V3 on a daily basis anyway, so you use this one, period (i.e maybe based on something non-audio like looks, etc)?

Hi Ted - It's more of an "I selected the v3 version I like best and am sticking with it" type of thing. The JRiver JMark scores are identical as they should be. Some people actually dislike the SATA filters. The difference between Lagoon and Carbon may be up to personal taste if there are any differences at all.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Great design. Great case.

Regarding USB 3.0, I'm wondering if the usefulness for having 3.0 might be bandwidth for reading 24/192 flac files from a stick, since StreamMagic 6, and MF M1 CLiC seem to have trouble reading those files from USB sticks.

While most usage of this server for me would be via NAS access, it would be useful on occasion to put in a USB stick for files. Someone comes over or whatever. Is there a difference between USB 2 and 3 related to the reading of 24/192 flac files.

Again, Thanks for the design.

cheers,

SF

Hi SF - The speed of reading a 24/192 file via USB 3.0 is way faster than USB 2.0. However, I believe the StreamUnlimited based products have more issues than the fact it's from a USB stick. I believe it's mainly a lack of processing power in the platform, not a USB speed issue.

On the CAPS designs USB 3.0 would gain you speed that's not really needed.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks again Chris - I'm curious.. "The sound quality from the CAPS v3 Carbon server is equal to or better than the best servers I've heard in recent memory. ... " I assume that includes the Aurender W10 which I know you own and treasure...

Have any hi-fi guests or other reviewers had the opportunity yet to verify this impression? It's not that I doubt your opinion, only that there may be a little bias towards your own creation which would be natural after all...

Hi dpaws - Yes, this includes the W10. However the servers are really two different animals. Comparisons on items other than sound quality are all subjective and individual to everyone as you know.

A couple things about the CAPS designs. 1. I don't make any money from them so I have a bit more freedom to talk about what's good and bad about it etc... Plus, I just couldn't publish a design that I wouldn't use and that didn't make me happy. 2. At such a cheap price anyone can afford one to test or borrow from someone who has made one.

But as you say I can't ignore any bias I may have because it's my own creation.

I just finished building my CAPS v3 and installing windows. Everything is as expected thus far except the video performance. I'm thinking it has to be a driver issue.. It's not that it doesnt play HD video, but it lags significantly on just the windows 8 GUI

I'm using the Intel dn2800mt

4GB crucial ddr3 (1 stick)

32GB Crucial Msata drive

Current Resolution is 1920x1080

If I lower the resolution to 1368x7XX it gets a little better

Intel doesn't appear to have a windows 8 driver for this video, only windows 7 which is what I had to install. I'm wondering is anyone has this problem with windwos 7 too? Updated to latest bios aswell

Any help is appreciated

Hi Tubefan - As this is a little different from the CAPS design it may be a bit tougher to troubleshoot. Are you using 32 or 64 bit OS?

Chris regarding storage *on* the server, obviously SSD is the way to go. Do you think it would be possible to plug and play an SSD some how? A lot of folks libraries would be well under 1TB... Alternatively how would the carbon handle running 2* 512 SSD drives 24/7 And which ones would you recommend? Cheers.

Two 512 SSDs would work fine. I recommend the Samsung 840 Pro Series of drives. Keep in mind your chance of failure is double if you make one large 1TB drive from the two 512 drives.

You have my gratitude Chris. I will benefit from your work.

My question is this: if I build a Carbon with extra SSD (I have about 2000 cds) would you advise that I house a hard disk for back up plus optical reader in a different PC case, or should I have the optical reader in the Carbon, or should it be a stand alone optical reader that I supply with the Red Wine battery? Should the hard disk also be independent and supplied by the Red Wine?

regards and thanks

Philip

Hi Philip - I would use an external backup disk and optical drive with the Carbon and only connect them when needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Finally got the case. First time building a pc. I'm following the pics closely from the article. I don't understand how the Samsung SSD is attached to the case how its positioned in the picture. The screws to the case are facing up...confused. If I turn it over then that puts the Sotm SSD filter in a bad position.

Also, how do you hook up the Red Wine Audio battery supply to the mobo and Sotm USB card?

thanks a bunch.

David

Hi David - The SSD isn't attached to the case. I see no need to attach it.

The RWA supply connects to the external DC inputs on both the motherboard and SOtM card. If using the RWA supply make sure not to connect the internal power connector to the SOtM card.

Thanks for your response, Ted, it is Pro. I can't for the life of me find the screen which Chris showed, looked at both 7 Pro and 8 and they look nearly identical.

Any chance you could direct me down the path to that screen?

The screenshot is from my computer I use to connect to the caps server from. I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop client to remote control caps servers from other computers.

Nothing to do with remote assistance. Just enable Remote Desktop on caps.

• 3 weeks later...
I feel foolish asking this question, but is there a way for me to check if my Sotm filter is operating or not?

While I'm able to use my other USB ports I can't get this port to work.

I've switched the power on and off on the Sotm filter with no success on getting anything from a DAC to even a flash drive to respond.

I realize this could be a connection issue as well but I'm not sure that's the issue.

I'll appreciate any suggestions, including a check list, anyone has to offer.

Thanks,

Joel

I'm guessing you're talking about the SOtM card not the filter? Do you have internal or external power to the card, in other words a power cable connected to the card inside or outside the case?

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I got my Carbon hooked-up and playing sweetly yesterday. I had never built a computer before so it was with some trepidation that I took this on. Mistakes were made and corrected with a bit of luck and by reading these comments carefully. My biggest problem was that I bought Windows 8 rather than Windows 8 Pro. Can you believe that it took Microsoft Support 3 full days (both level 1 and level 2 support) to figure out why Remote Desktop Control wasn't working! And they were so proud when they finally did. At least they upgraded me to Pro for free. I would have avoided that ordeal if I read the comments even closer!

I am using my Oppo BD-105 as a DAC. Their website said that they didn't have a driver for Win 8 but a phone call got an email with the driver and it is working beautifully. I tried both the USB connections on the mother-board and the SOTM card and clearly preferred the card. I am using a Synology DS213+ running native raid for storage, and JRiver on both my office desktop for ripping and cataloging and on the server for playback. JRemote on my iPhone is my control - I just wish that I could start up the computer and JRiver Media Server from it.

I am ordering the Red Wine battery power today - Vinnie tells me that there is a 6 - 8 week build time due to high demand.

I am very glad that I did this - cd's finally are listenable without gritting my teeth.

Great to hear Lifer. What do you mean by, "I just wish that I could start up the computer and JRiver Media Server from it."

What I mean is that if I turn the server off, I must restart it and JRiver using RDC on my desktop rather than from the JRemote on my phone. No big deal, but it does remind one that this is a computer not a normal audio component.

Ah ok. I set JRMC media server to start on boot up. That way you can connect via JRemote without launching RDC. I can't remember I you can set the server to Wake In LAN (WOL). If this is possible you can use a WOL app to wake the server. I leave mine running all the time.

• 1 month later...
Hi Chris

A couple of questions on the RWA battery supply:

- if you have fed the mother board and the USB board from the RWA, then what is powering the SSD? The Mobo?

- would the dual battery Black Lightening (one for the motherboard, one the USB card) make only a marginal difference to how long it can play while not charging - I assume almost all the 25 watts is the motherboard?

Thanks

Hi Kaka - The motherboard has several DC to DC converters to convert power from the RWA supply to the other components such as SSD.

The dual battery unit doesn't separate the output for the MB and USB card. It just gives you longer battery life.