IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

As for the Carbon that case is not available in the US yet. But I will offer the Carbon in another case if somebody can't wait.

I was made aware of a case made in the US (!) for HTPC. They looked fantastic and would fit right in next to most anyone's megabux amp or DAC. Some of the models included heat sinks/pipes for use with hi-powered 'boards. I can't recall the manufacturer but one of their principles used to post here. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Sounds like you're describing HDPlex.

Eloise

Well, the name didn't sound familiar but, yes, that's the one. Thanks!

HDPLEX Fanless Computer Case

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

If anyone has bought that HDplex case can you please confirm how you went slotting in the Intel motherboard. The MB described in this CAPS build has a built in Atom processor with a black heat sink already on top. Does this fit in under that copper pipe arrangement built into the HDplex? Do you have to bend the pipes to get the MB in, or did you have to remove the Atom heat sink off the Intel board? Cheers.

Seems to me that, with the Intel 2800 MB, you would simply not use the HDplex sink/pipes. Perhaps a bigger obstacle with using an HDplex with CAPS 3 components would regard installing the SOtM USB card?

I am now building a HDplex box. The SOtM card fits in fine with a riser card. I got mine from HDplex, but I'm sure they're available elsewhere - probably cheaper.

Nice! So, are the HDplex sink/pipes an obstacle per the above post?

I see that Small Green Computer is now building Carbon using the CAPS 2.0 case. Too bad. The HDplex is, IMO, the best looking computer case I've seen and appears to be a high quality product made in US - for only $100 more than the Wesena case Chris selected.

. . . I couldn't count on them being in stock. HDPlex has been around for a few years but keeping cases in stock has always been an issue.

Given the lack of Wesena availability, I'm happy to know you have a good sense of irony ;^)

I was reluctant to pay $900 for the Red Wine Audio battery power supply. Instead I looked on their site to see what kind of battery they use. Managed to buy one with the same chemistry, capacity and voltage for $160 including charger.

Thought someone here might appreciate the information. No matter how much money one has it's not nice to pay $900 for something that can be found for $160 (minus the fancy case).

Combo: Tenergy 12.8V (4-Cell) Intelligent 1.5A LiFePO4 Battery Charger + 12.8V 10Ah LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery (DGR-A)

In the Zuma article, Chris describes that his RWA is getting a custom regulator to keep voltage at 12 VDC. So, it might not be simply the case that is different. Either way, I'm curious to hear how your solution works. Please post again.

Cristi Ciubotaru from Mini-Box.com replied to my request for guidance here on CA regarding a guide that the technologically challenged like myself could follow to get Open UPS power supply working with Chris's C.A.P.S. designs.

His reply was encouraging:

" Thank you for contacting us and your interest in our products! We will consider this mail and we will study this issue. We are also working at a new version of the OpenUPS which will have batteries and might fit very well to the mentioned setups. Should you need other details, please contact us!"

Christi is a support engineer at Mini-Box, so hopefully they can provide a simple guide for us to follow?

Fingers crossed...

So, is the idea to use the Minibox regulator with something like the battery/charger posted above?

Combo: Tenergy 12.8V (4-Cell) Intelligent 1.5A LiFePO4 Battery Charger + 12.8V 10Ah LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery (DGR-A)

That would be a cool solution!

Has anyone actually received the Wesena case? I see PHT has removed the "incoming on 10th January" note on their website. An email query about my order has gone unanswered.

Sorry, can't answer your question but, if were me, I'd get an HDPlex case. Looks better, IMO, and made in USA (albeit it costs ~$100 more).

Are you sure?

Hmmm, no!

I thought I read on these forums a couple of years back that they were but i cannot find, on the HDPlex website, where they are made. Seems like they'd be highlighting it if they were US-built. So, it seems that I'm wrong here. My apologies.

After a quick internet search, here *is* a US-made case:

A-Tech Fabrication Home Page

Looks super nice . . . obvious quality. But the 2500 model starts at $569.