IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

Hi. Long time lurker who is just about to pull the trigger on this design, however, room corection is near a must have for me (I move a lot and cant invest heavily on room treatment). In the overview of CAPS 3, it's impled that only CAPS Carbon will have enough 'power' to do that. Is there any reason that I coulndt use ikmultimedia's ARC program (which I have already from my home recording studio)?

Thanks all.

Hi. Long time lurker who is just about to pull the trigger on this design, however, room corection is near a must have for me (I move a lot and cant invest heavily on room treatment). In the overview of CAPS 3, it's impled that only CAPS Carbon will have enough 'power' to do that. Is there any reason that I coulndt use ikmultimedia's ARC program (which I have already from my home recording studio)?

Thanks all.

sorry I meant Zuma.

I understand that CAPS doesn't include video in the requirements, but there was a call for improvements for different needs, so haven't seen any mention of fanless video cards, such as EAH6450 Fanless Video Card, which work well for 1080p video to monitor. They do work silently. A headless music server is very useful, but can be useful to to have it connected to monitor for visuals or selections or whatever, especially now that JRiver has HD TRacks built in, surfing and having the video card offload that work is good. cheers, SF

StreamFan, thanks for the pointer. I am actually looking for a way to stream the few concert concerts I have. Im not necessarily looking to make this thing an HTPC at all, but this looks great. Two things though; I assume it would be ok, but think there will be power problems? also how that work w/ 32 bit windows (5 total GB of memory [4 gm RAM + 1 GB graphics card])?

Thanks

Hi, The graphic card memory is managed by the card, and so is not part of the OS memory, and doesn't count against the 32bit 4GB limit. Also, IE 9/Chrome/FF now use the CPU power of video cards to offset CPU cycles, meaning the main CPU isn't doing the drawing for browsing, so it does help in that regard. Also, the card will draw more power, which goes against the CAPS requirements. See these test results, Power, Temperature, And Noise Benchmarks : AMD Radeon HD 6450 Review: Caicos Cometh. There are other similar fanless cards. Search Amazon.

The card would likely require a 100w power supply instead of 60w per the spec, which can be had for $25.

I have not added a fanless graphics card to an Atom processor board. Someone else, perhaps Small Green Computer can confirm if this particular board takes it. But for other boards with available PCIexpress slot, it works great.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to just stick to 'the recipe' for now. I usually get smaked inthe face by technology if I try and engineer something by myself (lots of unused electrical/computer componets stacking up in a bin in the cloest collecting dust).

So given the lack of availability of the Wesena case and the apparent uncertainty as to when that case will be available, is there a preferred alternative? HDPLEX? Something else?

Extra credit if you provide a link with the source for the product you recommend.

Thanks,

Joel

looks like on the site it now says "Cargo will arrive ~Jan 10, 2013. Pre-order now.". But I am still interested in peoples responses, although I like the case Chris selected and im just going to wait.

I've just sent a (somewhat lengthy) e-mail to Mini-Box asking for them to post a 'dummies guide to OpenUPS for C.A.P.S' here on C.A.

A simple 'suggested configuration' with parts list/instructions would make OpenUPS much more approachable to simple folk like myself.

I have a huge 36V electric bicycle battery that I think would power a C.A.P.S for ages, but without instructions I'm probably more likely to fry something than power anything, so finger crossed for some help eh?

very curious...did anybody get back to you on this?

I think I am going to make an attempt next month, but having some guidance would be nice.

AjCrisci, any news about the graphic card? :)

Hey. I did not wind up ordering. Instead I bought a wireless card and spent some dollars on a room correction system (ARC 2 from IK Multimedia.....going to really test out the power of this computer...fingers crossed). I've run out of pcie ports. Will reassess once I get the wessna case (I might just use the 500 GB of internal storage I have and scrap the (ExpressCard to mini-PCIe adapter/Firewire card).

If I'm reading their description right, the Minibox board would be the charger and perhaps regulator. If that's the case, this board and batteries would be all one needed. Probably a switch to disengage charger so one would use battery power only, connectors wire and a pretty box.

I know just enough to be dangerous, though, so take that FWIW.

Customize LiFePO4 26650 Battery: 12.8V 9.9Ah (126.72Wh, 7A rate) with PCB in Triangular Shape

this battery appears to be able to fit in the case. This is what I got my eyes on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Apparently I am not the only one who was having a problem getting a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution. I found an answer. Go to the Intel download center - Intel Download Center. Do NOT use the driver update utility. Instead use the search downloads field and enter the motherboard - DN2800MT. There are 40 downloads. Go to page 3 and download Graphics: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows* 7.

Remember me in your will.

That worked great. Thanks. Was too embarrassed to ask about graphics on the audio website but this helps a lot.