IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

Chris:

I was hoping you had found a really cool case for the v3's. Too bad that I had already found the E4, but it is great. How did you get your hands on one already?

I believe Streacom and Wesena are the same mfg... I found this version that is very similar but has heatsinks on the side which you dont have to use if using the DN2800mt board. Not bad looking at all. I purchased their F7C EVO case and its a great looking well made case. Im sure this one is also.

FC5WS Evo Fanless Chassis | Streacom

That would be great if someone can come up with an internal linear PS for the mobo... At a minimum you could keep the external PS for the SOTM card which I'm guessing is the more important of the two.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

I believe Streacom are the official distributor (not sure the correct term) of PC cases manufactured by Wesena in the far east.

There was a website/company wesena dot co dot uk but I believe they have been issued a cease and desist notice about using the Wesena name as they didn't have rights to use it.

So just a warning/clarification which perhaps Chris could/should research and let us know.

Eloise

Not sure either... but if you go to the streacom dot com website (not UK version) it lists wesena on the bottom of the page. They have some designs that look identical but I can't locate the exact Caps Carbon case on their website so maybe there are some differences. I ordered the Streacom F7C EVO and it is a very well built case in a similar look to the OrigenAE stuff.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

I don't believe the DN2800mt has a PCI slot..., just one PCI-E slot. Not sure if they make PCI-E to PCI adaptors...

Equipment:

Hi All,

Chris mentioned not to have any other USB devices connected due to the way USB protocol operates in the PC.... Is it ok to use one of the powered USB ports on the DN2800mt to power a battery powered DAC (eg JKDAC)? I would assume since no data is transferring from the USB port it would be ok but not sure how the PC will treat this.

Many thanks,

ejn1

Equipment:

Wap,

powering the motherboard via the dc plug does not insure that the motherboard will then send clean power to its peripherals. In fact, it is this precise issue that has me wondering what can be done to separately power everything in the design. For example, I have a massive Hynes linear power supply sending good clean power to the mobo (in my CAPS v2=) but the SOtM, a well-filtered design in an of itself, clearly benefits from its own dedicated external power (battery pack, iFi, etc). So, it goes to reason that the motherboard is not passing this clean Hynesian power along...so I am not really sure how much benefit the Hynes (or any dc-plugged external power source) is providing...if in fact the SSD and whatever else are getting this dirty mobo power too.

Hi Ted,

I have a Hynes PS on order to power the main board just like you have and have debated getting the SOTM battery supply for their USB card... But was thinking another solution might be to pick up a battery powered DAC that does not take the 5v power from the mobo (other than to charge the battery)... Maybe this is a solution.... Back to your point above though, I was inspired by your Caps V2+ design and went in that direction except I used the Msata drive and 1 4gb memory stick. You had mentioned that when you built the V2+ that it was the best music you have ever heard from a server before you had the SOTM battery charger. So I would have to deduce that your PH supply had something to do with that assessment? and that your SOTM battery charger only added slightly to that improvement??? I guess I'm thinking that you have a better ear than me and when you say "best ever", I think that is probably more than enough for my ears! Just trying to figure out when the curve of benefit versus cost starts to get really exotic when it comes to power supplies on every step in the audio chain.

Value your thoughts,

ejn1

Equipment:

Maybe this has been asked before (although I couldn't find it on this thread) but what reasons, if any, could a CAPS 3 Carbon configuration not be used in the CAPS 2 Origen Case?

Joel

I dont see why you can't use just about any case that will fit a mini atx board and a have a slot for the SOTM USB card plus any desired extra space you want for future expansion. A lot of the origen cases have front panel screens whether this creates software conflicts, RF noise etc I dont know but you can always not connect the screen. IMO, the Streacom cases have the same look and build quality as the Origen and are less money but this is just an opinion.

Equipment:

• 1 month later...
Hi David - The SSD isn't attached to the case. I see no need to attach it.

The RWA supply connects to the external DC inputs on both the motherboard and SOtM card. If using the RWA supply make sure not to connect the internal power connector to the SOtM card.

Chris, there was another comment in the forum on this and I believe the person email SOTM and they replied stating to leave the internal molex powering the SOTM card even if you use an external power supply. Seems odd but I think this was their response. Their reason was that if the external ps has an interuption the molex provides a backup which could otherwise damage the card.

It would be great to land this one as I plan an external PS on the card also.

Equipment:

I've got Carbon up and running as described sans the Red Wine for the time being. Not without a few hiccups, but I expected that having built computers before. I'm running with a monitor for now, but would like to do away with it as soon as installation is solid. I'm not at all impressed with Windows 8 and this has certainly convinced me that it will find a home only on this server.

I have a number of questions I'd like to pose and undoubtedly more as time goes by and I get to know it better.

1. If CAPS is, uh, serving music and I start RDC it stops Jriver and requires a reboot to fix. Normal?

2. Has anyone gotten a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 to work with the SOtM card? I bought it in hopes that the problems described were addressed with Win 8, but I tried and tried to no avail. Currently using iFi iDac and iUSB successfully, but like what the W4S did for my CD player on coax with balanced output. If I can't make it work, I'd appreciate recs on a similar product (balanced output) that's compatible with Carbon. Budget $1k

I'm sure there'll be more as I progress...thanks for help.

I have a Leema Acoustics DAC with balanced outs working fine with the SOTM card. I had to install the driver in compatibility mode in Windows 8 and it uses ASIO but all works great. In case you cant get your W4S to work.

Equipment:

Hi David - The SSD isn't attached to the case. I see no need to attach it.

The RWA supply connects to the external DC inputs on both the motherboard and SOtM card. If using the RWA supply make sure not to connect the internal power connector to the SOtM card.

Chris, here is the quote from the other thread (response from SOTM)...

"I got an email with this information. I quote:

When you use tX-USBexp with applying the external power, you don't need to

connect the molex 4pin connector, but we recommend you to use it for the

safety. for example, when the external power is suddenly blocked, the

tX-USBexp will be damaged, but when you connect it to the molex 4pin, you

don't need to worry about the damages.

Thank you.

Best Regard,

May Park

Tel : +82-41-576-7663"

Equipment: