IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

Is the PW-12V5A-L5 enough of a power supply? I note that the Bryston BDP-2 has a bumped up linear PSU with "over 5 amps, 10 amps peak". With an internal SSD and a couple of connected USB drives, how much power do you think is drawn?

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

Thanks Chris. Funnily enough a friend of mine and I had been working on a similar setup, having explored the Bryston product, before stumbling on your write-up and the replies above. We, though, are interested in feeding an external DAC (such as the Theta Casablanca) over AES/EBU or S/PDIF (and hence the interest in the Bryston with its Juli@ card which allows one to toss the potentially polluting analogue section/DAC). Coincidentally, we had decided on the same Streacom case that was linked to above. The motherboard, sound card, enclosure and software side (assuming paying up for Windows and JRiver) is relatively easy; a good linear power design is the hard part and, in my view, utterly critical. Hence the question regarding power requirements. I'm interested in determining a max load with plenty of headroom for a system running a connected SSD and a few attached USB drives.

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

Thanks for the unhelpful comment 4est :~|

Yes, the recommended PSU is more than enough power for CAPS v3 Topanga, Lagoon, and Carbon. CAPS servers don't draw more than 25 watts. I doubt the BDP-1 draws anywhere near the max capability of its PSU.

Thanks Chris. Funnily enough a friend of mine and I had been working on a similar setup, having explored the Bryston product, before stumbling on your write-up and the replies above. We, though, are interested in feeding an external DAC (such as the Theta Casablanca) over AES/EBU or S/PDIF (and hence the interest in the Bryston with its Juli@ card which also allows one to toss the potentially polluting analogue section/DAC). Coincidentally, we had decided on the same Streacom case that was linked to above. The motherboard, sound card, enclosure and software side (assuming one pays up for Windows and JRiver) is relatively easy; a good linear power design is harder and, in my view, utterly critical. Hence the question regarding power requirements. I'm interested in determining a max load with plenty of headroom for a system running a connected SSD and a few attached USB drives. I guess I should track down one of those strips and do some testing.

Apologies for the double post above. For some reason my browser was refusing to refresh this page and it seemed to me as though my post wasn't made.

4est, you might be interested in reading this thread CAPS 2 audio server high performance linear multi-rail power supply. I can't help but think that separate linear power for everything, all on separate rails, is a bit overkill albeit the best thing from a purist perspective. I note that Bryston has separate power for main versus standby but that would appear to be all although I've not seen photos of under the hood of a BDP-2. For now, I will play with a single linear PSU for the design I'm fiddling with (at the same time waiting for delivery of my BDP-2).

JJJ: Overkill? Maybe...

Don't get me wrong. You and I are coming at this from the same perspective. What I meant by potential overkill was having each rail completely isolated a la Paul Hynes's unit. I'm probably going to try to adapt a linear power supply Jaehong Lee offers for the Oppo 93/103 player. It supplies 5V, 5V and +/-15V (the first 2 powering the Oppo's digital stages while the second powers the analogue board). I have to believe this can be readily adapted to drive a USB board, SSD and main motherboard, respectively.

• 5 months later...

Or one from Larry at HD-Plex - he also makes the best enclosures!

Flexible PCI and PCI Express Riser Card - HDPLEX INC