IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

I just finished building my CAPS v3 and installing windows. Everything is as expected thus far except the video performance. I'm thinking it has to be a driver issue.. It's not that it doesnt play HD video, but it lags significantly on just the windows 8 GUI

I'm using the Intel dn2800mt

4GB crucial ddr3 (1 stick)

32GB Crucial Msata drive

Current Resolution is 1920x1080

If I lower the resolution to 1368x7XX it gets a little better

Intel doesn't appear to have a windows 8 driver for this video, only windows 7 which is what I had to install. I'm wondering is anyone has this problem with windwos 7 too? Updated to latest bios aswell

Any help is appreciated

I'd be interested whether Streamfans' advice helped to provide any solution to the video issue you report.

I'm not quite clear though...are you successfully playing HD video or not?

This HDPLEX case:

HDPLEX H3 Series

Looks like it would make a gorgeous (albeit expensive) CAPS case, but I can't find it in the EU at all.

Does anyone know where I might order one in the UK/EU?

I'd love to get the Red Wine Audio power solution, but it makes the whole package too expensive (for me anyway).

If anyone here tackles the OpenUPS approach, maybe they could post an 'idiots guide' on how it's done, in a similar spirit to the C.A.P.S guide itself?, It would be a valuable addition IMO.

BTW thanks for all your hard work on the C.A.P.S Chris, hugely appreciated!

Please ignore my question re' EU availability of the HDPLEX cases.

I didn't look closely enough at the HDPLEX site, and managed to miss that they have a "fulfilment centre" in Germany.

Prices seem to be the same USD as the US.

Does anyone here plan to attempt the OpenUPS approach to power supply?

I've just sent a (somewhat lengthy) e-mail to Mini-Box asking for them to post a 'dummies guide to OpenUPS for C.A.P.S' here on C.A.

A simple 'suggested configuration' with parts list/instructions would make OpenUPS much more approachable to simple folk like myself.

I have a huge 36V electric bicycle battery that I think would power a C.A.P.S for ages, but without instructions I'm probably more likely to fry something than power anything, so finger crossed for some help eh?

• 2 weeks later...
very curious...did anybody get back to you on this?

I think I am going to make an attempt next month, but having some guidance would be nice.

Nothing from them yet, but that's hardly surprising, with the holidays and all.

I suggested that they might post a guide here on CA themselves if they prefer, but if they don't I'll certainly pass on any advice they might offer to me directly, to the CA massive.

If you'd like to encourage them further yourself, or simply ask them for advice, the e-mail address do do so is:

[email protected]

Mentioning CA might be worthwhile if you do this :-)

very curious...did anybody get back to you on this?

I think I am going to make an attempt next month, but having some guidance would be nice.

Cristi Ciubotaru from Mini-Box.com replied to my request for guidance here on CA regarding a guide that the technologically challenged like myself could follow to get Open UPS power supply working with Chris's C.A.P.S. designs.

His reply was encouraging:

" Thank you for contacting us and your interest in our products! We will consider this mail and we will study this issue. We are also working at a new version of the OpenUPS which will have batteries and might fit very well to the mentioned setups. Should you need other details, please contact us!"

Christi is a support engineer at Mini-Box, so hopefully they can provide a simple guide for us to follow?

Fingers crossed...