IGNORED

First Post! Cheapish DAC

Many of the cheapish DACs recommended here only support up to 48kHz / 16 bit signals. With the emergence of the many hi-resolution downloads coming out, don't we need to get DACs that can handle 96kHz / 24 bit samples or better in order to get the most out of the songs?

This would leave out the VALAB DAC since that only supports 48/16, unless you only plan on listening to your ripped CDs.

Also, many of the USB DACs on e-Bay don't specify what sample rate and bit-depth they support. Many seem to be 48/16 at the most.

At least the M-Audio and E-Mu products support the higher resolutions, though arguably in non-audiophile packaging.

Anyway, I appreciate this thread. I'm somewhat in the market myself and would love to own something like the Benchmark DAC1, but the E-Mu/M-Audio toys are much more in my price range!

Doug A.

I looked at the specs and they say stereo analog/optical digital input (1/8")

Can this be used to take inputs from other sources, say a cd player, and output to my amp? Or isit only an input for recording?

regards

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an argument against the Super Pro DAC707?

I've read much on this subject, and this thread has been very helpful. By the end of this thread, with around 12 browser tabs opened from it, I think I come to the conclusion that the Super Pro DAC707 is a good choice.

Anyone disagree?

Briefly, I have a not-quite-audiofile stereo (yes, I listen in stereo with two speakers) and my CD player sounds infinitely better on it than what I get from my computer. (DIY WinXP, Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1/24 bit sound card.)

I recently ripped my CD collection to AIFF and just want the computer to sound comparable to the CD player through the same integrated amp. Will this $124 DAC accomplish this goal? Or is this the tip of the hardware iceberg?

And thank you. Your discussion is intelligent and informative.

Rand - the Valab is a simple DAC with no digital filtering. It literally has no output stage, just a stack of D/A chips. It is great sounding with a low-jitter input and even better if you upgrade the output coupling capacitors. For modding I recommend:

3.3uFd V-Cap oils bypassed with .22uFd Sonicap Platinums. These require some weeks of break-in BTW. This will be a world-class DAC with these caps. Not as good as my Overdrive, but beating most DAC's in the $10K range.

An I dont sell them either.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Steve,

Where can these mod parts be purchased from?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

V-Caps: Parts Connexion

Sonicap Platinums: Sonic Craft (Google: Sonicap Platinum)

I suggest you check the Valab forums at Head-Fi org for alternatives. There are several individual forums with a lot of great Valab modding infos including the output caps. I ended up getting Obbligato Gold Premium caps for my Valab but I've yet to install them.

From what I've read concerning V-Caps and Sonicap Platinums, Steve's recommendation is very likely to be spot on. Recommending alternatives for cost consideration. The V-Cap and Sonicap mod in this instance is around $230.

- Rand (...not Steve, leave him be, he's busy making my Off Ramp)

jtwrace stated:

I've always thought this was interesting...never heard it though.

http://www.bluecircle.com/index.php?menu_id=97

I have a USB Thingee that I purchased to use mostly at work with a small headphone amp. As a DAC, the Thingee is fairly pleasant and neutral sounding and it makes an interesting conversation piece. The downsides to the Thingee are that the output level is a bit on the low side making it less than Ideal with a passive preamp. Also, the Thingee reeks of the smell of silicone caulking especially when it first arrives.

I have read reviews stating that it competes favorably with more costly CD players. I'm not sure I would go quite that far, I also own a PS Audio DLIII and a Benchmark USB DAC1. I would say that I prefer the sound of either of these DACs to the USB Thingee, but that's just my own opinion and to be fair the PS Audio and Benchmark cost significantly more. Still the Thingee bests the sound of my laptop. It would be interesting to see a review of the unit here at CA.

I agree with BSN. I've had the thingee for a couple of months and the output is definitely low, which is fine if you use it wth a preamp but makes it more difficult to perform ABX testing with a CD player or another input.

I'm reasonably happy with it however especially for the price.

HP Pavillion> J River Media 15> Arcam RDAC > NAD C162> NAD 2400 > Totem Sttafs

Alongside the Valab the DDDAC modular dac is well worth looking at.

I bought the USB to I2S module which is also a complete DAC using the TDA1543 chip and I love it! Multiple TDA1543s (upto 60) can be added as well.

Regarding output caps The V-Caps are fantastic, I can also thoroughly endorse Mundorf Silver/Oil caps.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

"I'm wary of Taiwanese goods and normally wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole"

The country of origin does not predict the quality of a product.

Taiwan is the new Japan, and the products they produce CAN be superb. They certainly have the manufacturing and engineering skills to produce products of equal quality to any country in the world.

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

Should be a breeze for a technician. You might talk with him about the project before dropping the cash on those caps. Perhaps tell him about the Valab mod forums at Head Fi org.

The Valab requires nearly 200 hours of burn-in time before it opens all the way. The new caps will need a long burn-in too. Keep that in mind while you're doing all this.

- Rand

It's the OIMP (oil impregnated) that costs about $75 (NOT the one that cost $700) and you need 2 of them and 2 of the Sonicaps.

Hey, why not buy 4 of each and let me have a set for helping? I'd be very grateful. To say the least. Thanks very much in advance!

- Rand (worth a try)

Now you tell me this? I could have saved $600. Hmm

Actually, I would've bought yours if you did my mod.

I will cryo yours if you wish. I'm going to cryo mine when it's all done.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest, what dac chip does the Beresford 7520 use?

Intel iMac C2D, iTunes>ALAC>Airport Express, Audiolab 8000CD player, Audiolab 8000S amp, Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers, Chord Rumour speaker cable, Mark Grant Interconnects, Grado SR80\'s, Sennheiser PX100\'s, 5G iPod

The Beresford TC-7520 uses a Burr Brown PCM1716 DAC.

Jeff

Beresford NA

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the Valab and listened to it for awhile. It's not like my current DAC but in it's stock form it's REALLY good. I did the upgrade that Steve recommened and WOW it's REALLY REALLY good. Further, I then Cryo'd it. At ~$370 not bad. My dad will be VERY happy with his new Computer Audio setup for sure. I'm sad to see it go....

**HIGHLY RECOMMENDED**

• 5 months later...