IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Lagoon

Thanks Chris, especially for considering and testing the battery power option. I am not surprised at your results when using battery power. One poster above, I think, has the right idea: besides low noise to the server itslef, battery power offers a, perhaps, even bigger advantage, it stops computer borne power supply noise from going backwards through your AC delivery and getting into the rest of your analog components. I have made some rudimentary measurements, and was quite surprised by the results. Even when powering my server via a very low noise linear supply, and my SOtM card by a separate super low noise shunt regulated supply, I was able to detect lots (of a magnitude more than that produced by any other component) of noise going out the "backdoor" of the power supplies. What is really annoying, was that this noise was entirley present on the power cable going into both my DAC and my power amp; as soon as I power down the server, the noise is gone at the inputs of both the DAC and power amp. In testing, I tried power conditioners to "isolate" the noise from getting into the other components, no go... Even powering the server dual power supply from a true AC regenerator did not stop the server caused power line noise from going out the "backdoor" and being present on the power cables going into the amp and DAC.

I concluded that a battery supply was the only option which could keep this noise from being a problem. I have not yet built a good battery supply to try, but, combining my observations, and Chris' findings, I am sure it is time to commit to building a good battery supply for my server.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio