IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Lagoon

Chris... Can I ask if you would go into (perhaps in another article later) some of your testing processes in designing the CAPS v3. I think this would help other people also.

For example in deciding on the Red Wine battery supply: Did you also test other people's battery systems? Did you try any Linear PSU? With the motherboard did you test for audio differences between Intel's DN2800 vs Zotac and Asus equivalents or was it purely chosen based on reading the spec sheet?

If I was being harsh, (for an example) the recommendation of Red Wine could read like an advert for a particular manufacturer without any comparison to other solutions. (I don't think that but it could be said...)

Not expecting a detailed answer now but some of your testing methods may be of interest to some of us mortals and make an interesting read as a finale after the 4 CAPS versions are revealed.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Let no good deed go unpunished

If that comment is aimed at my post then I take offence. I think some feedback on how and why Chris chose the parts may be of interest to many. Take a read of the later comments in the Topanga thread - people saying "why not just buy a Nettop as they are the same and save yourself money". Now if all Chris did was read the spec sheets then yes, that sounds like a good suggestion.

Now there's nothing wrong with Chris' "recipie" for the CAPS, but if he is trying to help people design their own system as well as offering a specific recipe then some more details of the thought process would be helpful (IMO).

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Just to add to the questions Chris - I don't understand why the benefit of a battery supply for the motherboard. Internally there still exists the DC:DC converters which produce a whole heap of noise on the supply rails. Now if the new power supply bypassed all of these with multiple voltage feeds then yes, a big advantage in theory...

For the PCIe card I can understand the benefits entirely. I would also have thought that the mSata drive would have offered a superior performance too, although open minded to contrary findings. Thanks for all your work...

I guess this is the kind of thing I'm meaning...

Now I would guess that the benefit is removing the noisy SMPSU - now the question is, does the noisy SMPSU affect the computer directly, or is the problem that it affects the sound quality from the DAC, amplifier, etc connected to the same circuit?

Eloise

Eloise

---

I read at the SOtM website [ SOtM ] , that the "PCIe card " is not compatible with DAC's which are based on Mtech Oem boards.

In your description you advice to use windows 8, will this also solve the issue with the " incompatible" Dac's ? like the Wyred4Sound Dac 2

I have read that if you use Windows 8 the problems with the SotM card and M2Tech drivers is eliminated.

Eloise

Eloise

---

I have not yet Windows 8 installed, but with JRiver and Windows 7, Event Style WASAPI is truly inferior to ASIO4ALL (or any other ASIO Out Kernel Access) under XP.

Juergen

Juergen I'm not quite sure I follow your statement there.

Are you saying that

** Event Style WASAPI under Windows 7

is inferior to

** ASIO4ALL (or other ASIO) under XP

So therefore you are recommending using XP and ASIO4All in preference to Windows 7 and WASAPI?

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 3 weeks later...
I am looking into building the Lagoon and the question I have is in regards to the Sotm USB card! If I am using the Halid Bridge converter which does it's own handling of d-a conversion; would there be no real advantage in the extra cost of the Sotm versus using the USB off the MOB? Thanks Sam

The SotM card is designed to give a purer power to any USB DAC or USB to SPDIF converter...

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 2 years later...
Hello friends...DN2800 is not available here in India.Is this below mentioned can replace the same.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - CPU Onboard - GA-J1800N-D2H (rev. 1.x)

I believe the big difference between the Gigabyte and the Intel DN2800 (or the Mitec equivalent) is that the Intel has a DC input power socket while with the Gigabyte you'll need to add something like a picoPSU (not actually sure if this is the correct one by the way).

Eloise

---