IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Topanga

Just make sure you do a clean install, not an upgrade (for those reading this with an existing server). Have the download create an ISO (download option) and load it to a bootable USB drive.

Thanks Ted, Is there a way to do a clean install with an upgrade version? In the past, some ugrades only asked you to put the install S/N of the prior verison or disc. I have an old version of XP lying around and would hate to miss out on the cheap upgrade download promo going on.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

I will find the article that helped me, but no, it does not ask for another s/n or copy, as long as you do a clean install with the ISO and a WinUSB bootable USB thumb drive (WINusb link in my CAPS V2+ thread).

Thanks Ted, I did some more research and it appears that the prior OS has to at least be on the drive and then Win 8 will do a clean install over it. I have XP on disc so i think i will just have to install a dvd-rom in the server and install xp then do the clean install over it (and will wipe the HD hopefully).

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

It shouldn't be necessary to install a previous Windows O/S onto a new drive, so you can install the Windows 8 upgrade. If you have an install of Windows on another drive, just copy the Windows Folder to the new drive, then install the new Windows 8. It will look for a previous Windows version and happily install without you having to do a full install of an older version of Windows first - should save you some time :)

Thanks Tim. This is a good point to know for any future builds. For this build, I had an old version of XP that was not installed on any PCs so I was using it for the upgrade. When I went to install it on my system which has the same mobo and a mSata drive as the Caps V3 design, you need to load raid AHCI drivers during the install for XP to see the drive. XP only allows you to add drivers during the install with a floppy drive! it was a pain but I found a cool free program called Nlite that allows you to create a new windows install disk and add drivers to the install disk. After this, it went smoothly. Also, it appears the Windows 8 upgrade promo is only the 64bit version as I didnt have the choice to choose the 32 bit during install. This is fine but the graphics driver on the 64 bit doesnt do 1920x1200 which kind of sucks but I won't be using with a monitor in the end game.

Equipment:

• 2 months later...
Can someone explain to me why this set up would result in better sound than a $500 laptop running J River? I get that it is a sole purpose built computer, but is that the only difference? Also, (and this is a serious noobie question), can this be run headless and controlled via JRemote on my iPad, or does it need to be hooked up to a monitor, keyboard and mouse? Thank you for any insight that can be provided.

I run my headless and controlled via Ipad. Make sure you get a software that includes Remote Desktop (eg Windows 8 PRO). Quality is linked to low system power, dedicated resources to keep electrical noise down (eg dedicated USB card, no other USB devices, no Wifi, no electrically noisy periphiales like DVD-roms etc, laptop screen, fans, etc)...

Equipment:

I understand the "don't bring a gun to a knife fight" philosophy regarding the 32-bit vs. 64-bit Windows 8. But is there any potential detriment to running the 64-bit version as opposed to the 32-bit? (Yes I know about the driver limitations, but beyond that any pitfall?) Thanks.

With the DN2800mt board, the video sucks with the 64bit version...

Equipment:

I run 64 bit Windows (see my CAPS V2+ thread; same computer really) and find the video graphics fine (I only use it for maintenance via VNC or remote desktop; it's a headless music server :) )

Thanks Ted... I should not be so harsh... It works fine in a headless music server and that's how I'm using it also. But if you were going to run it with a monitor, I would be very unhappy with the quality of the 64 bit graphics driver. I hear the 32 bit is much better but I havent seen it myself.

Equipment: