IGNORED

Best Cover Songs

Love the Dead Souls cover from NIN..... awesome, and I love Joy Division

Other covers - Ziggy Stardust by Bauhaus, The Passenger by Siouxie, and a punk favorite - 99 Red Balloons by 7 Seconds

Last one would be Tears of a Clown by The English Beat - great cover of an old Smoky Robinson and the Miracles song!

• 2 weeks later...

The Bangles... Hazy Shade of Winter originally by S&G.

Eric Clapton doing his own cover of Layla on MTV Unplugged

...and for the King of Covers...

Easy Star All-Stars - Dark Side of the Moon, the entire album in Raggae... Excellent intrepretation.

-Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain

Great thread!

Let's see...how about;

- The Scientist, by Johnette Napolitano and Danny Lohner. You can feel the steel strings on the guitar...

-Over the Rainbow, by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

-Comfortably Numb, by Dar Williams

-Superstar, by Sonic Youth (making the Carpenters' song creepy...)

-and

-Any early Zepellin !!

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

I forgot about Mettalica's cover of Queen's "Stone Cold Crazy". Already a fast hard sound, but great when taken to thrash tempo.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Sheesh, I cannot believe I didn't think of this before!

You guessed it, another Dylan cover. Antony doing "I was young when I left home".

Mesmerizing...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

• 3 weeks later...

Bettye LaVette - Interpretations: The British Rock Songbook

Luka Bloom - Dancing Queen

Shawn Colvin - Every Little Thing (He) Does Is Magic

Shawn Colvin - This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)

Marianne Faithfull - Something Tells Me I'm Into Something Good

For something off the wall how about My Way by Sid Vicious! (not saying it's great at all, just a hoot, always makes me laugh!)

Jim

Lennon doing pretty much anything - Stand By Me for starters. And is there another singer anywhere who could compete favorably with the Smokey Robinson original of You Really Got A Hold On Me? Money? Twist And Shout?

+1

But, not just Lennon, the Beatles in general - their covers were often better than the originals. McCartney doing Long Tall Sally, George singing Everybody's Trying to be my Baby, and others.

From the same era - The Byrds singing Dylan.

Derek and the Dominos - Little Wing. THE version of the song, IMO.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

William Shatner doing Hey Mister Tamborine Man and Rolf Harris doing Stairway to Heaven.

And on a more serious note: I love the recent "The Golden Age of Song" from Jools Holland and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra with "guest" vocalists.

And somewhere in between Erasure doing Abba back in the late 80s / early 90s.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

PS. And are we talking about covers or reinterpretations...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 4 months later...

I never thought that I would voluntarily listen to Brothers in Arms again. Although I never really liked the song or the album, it has been in such heavy rotation that I haven't been able to avoid it. Moreover, it seems to impersonate a very unlikeable aspect of hifi--the constant rotation of a limited set of audiophile recordings. So you can safely say that I'm fed up with BIA. To put it mildly.

But the other day I heard it

, and it made me realize that it's actually a good song. Her voice gives it the pathos or anthem-like quality it requires, and the straightforward instrumentation (no guitar soli) supports this.

It was Peter Lyngdorf of who made me aware of Baez's interpretation. It happened at a Steinway Lyngdorf demo. Although I wasn't won over by the SL system*, it was a very pleasant evening. Peter Lyngdorf is very good company, and he clearly has a passion for music, the conversation often strayed into music discussions. In fact, when we were approaching the end of the demo, Peter said would have liked to continue playing more music to us, but that he wanted to stop out of the consideration for the staff in the store, who had to close up. And still he played music for another 40 minutes :-D Nice to meet a high end manufacturer and learn that he is clearly passionate about music.

*It should be said that conditions weren't ideal. The room was full of other speakers and lots of hard surfaces.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Tom Waits: Somewhere, from West Side Story. (I think it was on Blue Valentine)

Chick Corea and Hiromi: Fool on the Hill (The whole album is incredible)

Sonic Youth: Superstar (needs to be said again)

Nico: These Days (Jackson Browne wrote and recorded it first, and it became much more popular later in his career)

James Blake: Case of You

on Jeff Buckley's live at Sin-e, he does great covers of Van Morrison's The way young lovers do, and Sweet Thing

Does anyone remember the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert when Sting and Jeff Beck did People get Ready? It was one of the few times I wasn't angry with them.