IGNORED

Power supplies?

Hi all.

Following is an exerpt from a post on another forum:

". . . however clean power to the PC is probably even more critical than many other audio component powercords and conditioners, so the query is very valid. especially when you do highend audio via PC. an "Uninterruptible Power Supply" with an online battery mode will give you a very clean and stable AC power to your computer....and soundcard ! -and void any digital "back-track-interference" highly recommended !"

Does anyone agree with this? I know nothing about power supplies for PCs other than they are used as a temporary backup in case of failure of power from the wall. Apparently, this guy is recommending full time use of the power supply w/ battery. Is this like using using a 12v battery to power a DAC rather than USB, 12v wall wart or IEC to wall?

NewEgg carries about 12 brands at varying prices from like $40 to over $200. There are all kinds of specs and connection options that are like a foreign language to me.

What's up with this?

Hi Mike - Right now this is a topic that gets a lot of people worked up. People are either closed minded and think a computer PSU cannot have any effect on the sound or people are open minded and willing accept the possibility that a computer PSU can effect the sound. I am currently aware of some very good research in this area backed by measurements but I cannot spill the beans at this time. I will say PSUs have been measured, they are all different, and noise is seen all the way to the DAC from each PSU. I can't give any more info at this time so you'll have to trust me for now. I am not involved in the work but those who are are among the brightest people I know. I do promise to have a lot of details at some point in the near future.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Roseval wrote:

Those using a laptop can easily test the impact of a PSU on sound quality.

Disconnect it.

This forces your laptop to run on pure DC (battery).

Makes not an iota of difference here. My Q1 sounds exactly the same with or without an external power supply. :-/

--

djp

Intel iMac + Beresford TC-7510 + Little Dot MK III + beyerdynamics DT 231 = Computer audiophile quality on the cheap! --- Samsung Q1 + M-Audio Transit + Sennheiser PX 100 = Computer audiophile quality on the go!

AV-OCD wrote:

Don't shoot the messenger, but I've read that the greatest source of noise in a laptop is the screen, so any benefits of disconnecting the power supply and running on battery may be masked by this.

Now I'm even more confused. However hard I try, I can't hear my screen! :-

I must admit, the Q1 is extremely quiet and may not be the best example of a laptop, being that it's labelled a UMPC.

--

djp

Intel iMac + Beresford TC-7510 + Little Dot MK III + beyerdynamics DT 231 = Computer audiophile quality on the cheap! --- Samsung Q1 + M-Audio Transit + Sennheiser PX 100 = Computer audiophile quality on the go!

Ahhh! Apologies Roseval and all. Can somebody help me here? I can't appear to edit my post. It's the whiskey you know!

--

djp

...and I can't hear any difference running off of batteries either. Headless isn't hard -- Mac Mini/iPod touch. I think this is probably another of those things we can measure and take great pains to eradicate, but really can't hear unless something is wrong. Aren't audiophiles a funny lot? Most people avoid spending money unnecessarily. We will spend oodles of it on that which we can measure but cannot hear, until what we hear is not measurable...then we will trust our ears and spend more.

Farney's economic recovery plan -- turn the world into audiophiles!

Tim

I confess. I\'m an audiophool.

Regular UPSes don't do anything because the battery power doesn't kick in until there is a power failure. AC regenerators cost a lot of money. What is sensible is to get one of those fancy looking Monster or APC power filters. Wait for a heavily discounted one (they always pop up). Every receptacle has a filter and it will prevent noise from contaminating other components. (The noise I'm talking about the HUM. The RF is also there and supposedly filtered, but I don't know if I hear it or not). You can also go around the house and use a filter in every other equipment and appliance, especially things that have an AC motor, like your fish tank. And thanks to roseval for referencing one of my posts :-)

www.hifiduino.wordpress.com

Roseval wrote:

Let's see if a closing tag helps.

It does.

Thanks Roseval. Unfortunately there wasn't an option to edit my offending post.

--

djp

Thank you all for your replies.

I'm gonna hold off on the power supply thing until the report is published.

BTW, I have a friend who builds/rebuilds/ repairs computers for a living. He has already tweaked my desktop PC twice. He now wants to upgrade my internal power supply and my motherboard just for the sake of improving my PC's operation. He doesn't think doing this would have a beneficial effect on the audio output - but, he's not an audiophile.

FYI: The majority opinion over on the AVS Forum is that upgrading internal power supply will improve audio out. And, many of these posters also recommend upgrading the power cord, but only fter first doing the power supply. Some recommend upgrading to a heavily shielded power cord regradless of the power supply. One poster recommends installing a dedicated 20amp line just for the computer. Some recommend using a dedicated line condioner (like an APC or a Chang Lightspeed). To the best of my knowledge, no one there has recommended ripping off the screen on a laptop. [LOL]