IGNORED

Should I buy a weiss dac 2

Hi ,I have a level 3 modded ps audio dac 3.

I am using a new mac mini as the music server and it sounds wonderful. The problem is, The reviews of the new alpha berkely and weiss dac 2 are distracting me.

The alpha is beyond my reach but if I sold the ps audio dac it would help towards the weiss purchase.

Or am I crazy/

Thanks

thequietman

Hi quietman - This is a tough call to make for someone I don't even know! I can tell you the Weiss and Berkeley Audio Design products are in another league. The Weiss DAC2 will allow you to play all the current sample rates in their native resolution from 16/44.1 to 24/192. In the world of digital audio Daniel Weiss is one of the best and his products show that.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I don't know if this helps but I have heard Kent Poon's Audiophile Jazz 3 album, at all the different resolutions he has available on his DVD, from 16/44.1, 24/96 to 24/192.

I heard them from a Macbook Pro, via firewire into the Weiss DAC 2 with the volume control software update to a Conrad Johnson amp into some large Quad speakers with Nordost cabling.

At each step going from 16.44.1 the sound improved and became more life like, with the female vocal gaining more body at each step.

So try that experiment on your own system, buy the Kent Poon CD/DVD pack and give it a go. Then track down a store selling the Weiss DAC 2 and try the same experiment and see if you can tell the difference. Although the best test would be if you can have a home loan of a DAC 2 to make the comparison.

Yes Chris I heard this test at my local HiFi shop, and the sound was very life like. Once you have heard 24/192 played through a high resolution system that presents you with a life like musical presentation, it is hard to go back.

But it does present you with a dilemma, doesn't it, it's like the occasions I have been able to secure a loan of equipment from the HiFi shop to hear in my own system and end up spending more money as in most cases it is an improvement to the sound, and I don't want to live without it and so the bank balance drops or the credit card bill gets a hit.

Blu

Quietman Hi, it really is best if you can hear the equipment in your system before you make a decision, ask a local dealer for a loan, if you are in the UK I will send you a DACII for evaluation, it is a very good dac, a UK magazine, HiFi News just reviewed it and compared it favourably with the DCS Scarlatti! Keith.

"Hi ,I have a level 3 modded ps audio dac 3.

I am using a new mac mini as the music server and it sounds wonderful....if I sold the ps audio dac..."

-- Do those two statements work welll together? I'm just sayin...

Tim

I confess. I\'m an audiophool.

I decided on my Weiss DAC2 in a flash!...it really is quite a bargain...personally sounds much better with the mac mini than anything i've owned from esoteric, dCS, Res Audio...its funny following this post I too have CJ valve pre/power and Quad 2805's...although not Nordost cables!

I just think that there is a tendency in this hobby to upgrade just because that's what we do, even when we are perfectly happy with what we've got. Selling something that "sounds wonderful" is something that deserves second thought. Could you gain some improvement by upgrading? Perhaps. Would you get more from it than keeping that which sounds wonderful and spending the extra money on new music. Perhaps not.

Tim

I confess. I\'m an audiophool.

"Quietman": I sold a PS Audio DAC III (unmodified) to help with the purchase of a Weiss DAC2. The sound is, to my ears, qualitatively better, but trying to express that in audiophile lingo can easily lead more or less to nonsense, so I'll pass on that. You can either gamble, as I did, based on the opinions of others (not very clever of me) or try to find a dealer. The only DAC2 dealer in the US is Vintage King Audio, in Detroit; Weiss Minerva dealers are more abundant. At 60% of the price of the Minerva and identical sound, the DAC2, in its pro audio version is more cost effective, but it is expensive. I will hazard the guess, though, that unless you have an SACD player, the DAC2 will outperform your CD player at virtually any price point. So, you can sell your CD player, which will be redundant, to help fund the DAC2. The Berkeley has received rave reviews too, but if you have a Macbook or Macbook Pro, then you have to figure out how to get an AES interface to the Berkeley with another component (a Weiss AFI1, let's say, but that adds a lot of cost). Even if you have a PC or Mac tower you need a sound card like the Lynx, and that adds cost and complexity. So, for me the decision was clear: and I got the DAC2. The sound is phenomenally good.

I am from the UK but now live in the USA, but I really appreciate Keiths generous offer.

I know my post above sounds contradictory but the sound from the modded dac 3 is wonderful but Im curious as to just how good the sound can get.

I have downloaded a few 24/96khz albums and love them. I am aware i could buy a lot of music for the price difference between the two dacs. That makes the decision more difficult.

I have contacted vintage audio to see If I can arrange an in home audition. If not I will try a minerva dealer.

Thanks for all the honest and insightful replies.

thequietman

Vintage Audio is allowing me to demo the weiss dac 2 in my own home.

I will use my new mac mini and firewire, I need a firewire recommendation.

I will compare the weiss to the ps audio with flac 16/44.1 and the new 24/96 khz files, I also have a few 24/192 demo files.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

thequietman

• 1 month later...