IGNORED

Official iTunes 11 Thread (Released 11/29/2012)

Ho Hum

Apple's intentions for this iTunes release seem to be, shall we say, somewhat Cloudy.

I updated on one of my machines and found nothing I would call a significant, useful improvement for music playback.

The grandiose description of the new release on Apple's site is little more that copywriter's hyperbole.

fm

Qobuz via Aurender N10 > Devialet Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera

(see here for details)

This is the fundamental problem with the Apple Store: OCD-control freakary. (sp?)

Have you thought of just selling 1.03 via the Apple store, and then offer 1.04 as a free website-downloadable update to 1.03 in a form that could not operate as a stand-alone app?

Then the user could purchase 1.03 in effect as a license for further manual updates.

So far Audirvana Plus 1.3.5, Fidelia 1.2.1, and Pure Music 1.88a are all working flawlessly. Pure Music seemed to lag just a bit when loading into memory and is playing gapless just fine. I think the new interface is a nice refresh btw.

No problems with Remote either.

I also have an issue with Amarra Hi Fi only playing the first couple of seconds of a track & then stopping.

If I turn the - "load tracks into memory" in preferences off it works OK, but once I select any of the options for loading the tracks into memory, it will only play the first couple of seconds of a song & then it stops.

I have noticed two things. First under Get Info>Options the selection for Gapless Album is gone. Someone earlier had mentioned that all albums are considered Gapless in iTunes 11 but I would appreciate some confirmation or link to this being spelled out. Second, and a big deal to me but may not be to others, is my favorite display mode when my monitor (64" HDTV) is on is Cover Flow and especially full screen Cover Flow and I do not see any option for this in 11.

"If you fly a flag of hate you are no kin to me"

Ry Cooder

Amarra only works for the first 2 seconds of a song. Nothing less or more to say.

This is a known issue with the update to iTunes 11. We are testing a fix in house and hope to post shortly. You will be alerted when the new build is available when you launch Amarra or Hifi.

The workaround is to de-select Pre-Load Tracks in Amarra or Amarra Hifi Preferences.

Please note that Amarra users can use Amarra Playlist mode and not have any issue.

If you have any other questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Sonic Studio Customer Support .:.

Sonic Studio, LLC .:. Trust the transparency

This is a known issue with the update to iTunes 11. We are testing a fix in house and hope to post shortly. You will be alerted when the new build is available when you launch Amarra Hifi.

The workaround is to de-select Pre-Load Tracks in Amarra Hifi Preferences.

If you have any other questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Sonic Studio Customer Support .:.

Sonic Studio, LLC .:. Trust the transparency

Second, and a big deal to me but may not be to others, is my favorite display mode when my monitor (64" HDTV) is on is Cover Flow and especially full screen Cover Flow and I do not see any option for this in 11.

MacRumours reports Cover Flow has been removed.

I am disappointed that they removed the option to display album covers in list view (the "Songs" view). They also removed the option to display the album cover of currently playing track. Well, it is there, but is really small on the top, to the left of the track name and position display.

I am disappointed that they removed the option to display album covers in list view (the "Songs" view). They also removed the option to display the album cover of currently playing track. Well, it is there, but is really small on the top, to the left of the track name and position display.

Agreed.

Naim 282/250/hi-cap/cd5xs/dac/stageline, mac book pro/fidelia/amarra hifi/halide bridge, rega p3/24, focal utopia scala

Tap that itty bitty cover to the left of the current playing track, and viola, there's your large album cover of the currently playing track!

Qobuz via Aurender N10 > Devialet Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera

This is a known issue with the update to iTunes 11. We are testing a fix in house and hope to post shortly. You will be alerted when the new build is available when you launch Amarra Hifi.

The workaround is to de-select Pre-Load Tracks in Amarra Hifi Preferences.

Many thanks for the prompt action....much appreciated.

I'm having major delay issues with the search function. When I start typing, I get the spinning wheel and it takes at least 15-30 seconds before any results are shown. Now granted, my library has 171,074 songs, but iTunes 10 had almost immediate response.

Very useful thread! I used to run Audirvana with integrate mode, so I was really kren to know if it works with iTunes 11 - it seems it does, cool! BTW, works even better than big, commercial software, just my 2 cents ;-)

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I'm having major delay issues with the search function. When I start typing, I get the spinning wheel and it takes at least 15-30 seconds before any results are shown. Now granted, my library has 171,074 songs, but iTunes 10 had almost immediate response.

Maybe it is just creating a new index.

So far Audirvana Plus 1.3.5, Fidelia 1.2.1, and Pure Music 1.88a are all working flawlessly. Pure Music seemed to lag just a bit when loading into memory and is playing gapless just fine. I think the new interface is a nice refresh btw.

No problems with Remote either.

Did you turn off the Pure Music option for gapless playback? I'm interpreting what I've read that the "part of a gapless album" option has been removed from iTunes 11 and now all albums are essentially gapless in iTunes' eyes. Does that mean Pure Music plays everything back gaplessly to our ears even if the option isn't selected?

Pure Music c/o iTunes -> DAC -> amplifier -> speakers

I'm having the same problem on my music server (mac mini with SL 10.6.8). The slow response makes iTunes 11 basically useless for me. Looks like I'm going to have to downgrade back to iTunes 10.

Maybe it is just creating a new index.

I left iTunes running all night to see if that was the cause and no improvement in speed today.

Wheres 'Compilations' gone........

It used to show up in the Column Browser window but it's not there now.

The option to flag tracks as part of a compilation is still there though.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

I can see that everytime I enter text in the search field, iTunes re-writes the iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes Library.itl files. Since these are quite large files, this is cause for the slowdown. A clear bug, and a very stupid one at that.

Does that mean Pure Music plays everything back gaplessly to our ears even if the option isn't selected?

Doesnt appear to. I have just run through a few tracks and there is still normal gaps between them. I'm not sure whats going on.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

Did you turn off the Pure Music option for gapless playback? I'm interpreting what I've read that the "part of a gapless album" option has been removed from iTunes 11 and now all albums are essentially gapless in iTunes' eyes. Does that mean Pure Music plays everything back gaplessly to our ears even if the option isn't selected?

Nope .. didn't touch the settings/options. Hit play and it worked.

Doesnt appear to. I have just run through a few tracks and there is still normal gaps between them. I'm not sure whats going on.

Same here.

Just downloaded 11. Not impressed at all. #1 it cannot locate where the music is stored. I get this message " The song could not be used because the original file could no tbe found. Would you like to locate it ? "" what's so weird is itunes 10 had no problem at all. The music is stored in the same old location is always has been.

The Truth Is Out There

We have completed our initial evaluation of iTunes 11, and we can say that BitPerfect users are safe to download and use this version. There may turn out to be some instances of unexpected behaviour, but at the moment we have not encountered anything that is giving us any significant concerns.

This is the official BitPerfect support line.

This is the fundamental problem with the Apple Store: OCD-control freakary. (sp?)

Have you thought of just selling 1.03 via the Apple store, and then offer 1.04 as a free website-downloadable update to 1.03 in a form that could not operate as a stand-alone app?

Then the user could purchase 1.03 in effect as a license for further manual updates.

Yeah, we are really thinking this one through very carefully. The big issue is that the App Store has provided is with some 10,000 users worldwide in only 12 months, and although we have our blog page and our FaceBook page, evidence suggests that only a minority of BitPerfect users are following us on these pages. So if we are to offer a migration path to, say, BitPerfect 1.0.3 users, we would have to find a way to communicate that information to them. As you are probably aware, Apple does not permit us to communicate directly with our users with a view to directing them to a non-Apple sales portal!

So, on one hand, we have a very effective channel to market in the App Store, but one which imposes - unreasonably, we would argue - significant limitations on what our App is allowed to do. On the other hand, we could instead sell our product through our own direct sales channel, but without the marketing muscle to deliver 10,000 new users per year. It is basically a marketing 101 conundrum, and a preferred solution won't really emerge until the saga of our 1.0.4 submission to the App Store plays out to its conclusion.

This is the official BitPerfect support line.

Just downloaded 11. Not impressed at all. #1 it cannot locate where the music is stored. I get this message " The song could not be used because the original file could no tbe found. Would you like to locate it ? "" what's so weird is itunes 10 had no problem at all. The music is stored in the same old location is always has been.

Be sure to check your iTunes Preferences to make sure the path is properly set to your files. Every now and then iTunes might lose track of a file (hey surprise like any software it is not perfect). When you see that litte ! and the question to locate if you say yes you can follow it to the proper file path and select the song and it will be reconnected to iTunes.

"If you fly a flag of hate you are no kin to me"

Ry Cooder