IGNORED

Music Player able to play multiple songs simultaneously to different locations

Hello!

With canned music servers like Olive, Sonos, Arcam and Soolos etc, the music player/hardware can simultaneously play two or more hard drived stored songs and then able to distribute to different speaker locations. The software and hardware are integrated together.

The ability of music to be store on a network drive allows different people in different locations to access the files and play different music in different locations. However, this is not centrally controlled. Having four computers in the four main rooms in a customised manner makes a home look like a workplace.

In a large house it would be ideal at one location to send music to different music to various rooms etc.

Is there any software and computer based hardware that allows this in a customised music server?

Keep on Upgrading!!!

As long as you have players (not computers) in each room, Squeeze Center can do this (for up to 10 rooms I think, assuming lossless files, more for MP3). no need for ten computers, just ten player untis (Squeezebox, Duet, Transporter, etc.). From the central GUI screen you can access the music and distribute it (or override it at the player end). You can synchronize or play independent.

Thanks for reminding me of the Squeeze centre.

Just makes me conclude that a computer as a music server is meant to be a computer in the first place rather than a multi-media server.

I can see if you have spent $US2.8 million on a house, a Mac Pro as a music server does not crack it for all the many rooms in the small house.

Keep on Upgrading!!!

Thanks for reminding me of the Squeeze centre.

Just makes me conclude that a computer as a music server is meant to be a computer in the first place rather than a multi-media server.

I can see if you have spent $US2.8 million on a house, a Mac Pro as a music server does not crack it for all the many rooms in the small house.

Keep on Upgrading!!!

I guess you'll max out the Squeeze Center bandwidth then. I'd look to upgrading your LAN. What are you going to use as players for all those rooms? (Note: I only mentioned ten rooms cuz you were asking about options, and I gave you one....with as much info as you might need. Guess i shoulda kept my mouth shut.)