IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

I closed all other players and rebooted the NAA machine.

"aplay -l" shows "no soundcards found".

If "aplay -l" doesn't show the card, you have problem with ALSA or someone is keeping the device busy. When "aplay -l" begins to show it, it should also start appearing through networkaudiod.

However, the OS system page shows PCH as card 0 and the Amanero as card 1/usb device 0. Also, "cat \proc\asound\cards" does show the Amanero.

This sounds like you have a GUI in your NAA machine. You shouldn't have any GUI, only text console. If you have a GUI, you also likely have "pulseaudio" installed and running and that is a big steaming pile of **** similar to CoreAudio and Windows mixer/rate converter audio engines. You need to make sure pulseaudio doesn't mess with the device, at least by modifying it's configuration or preferably removing it from the system altogether.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

If "aplay -l" doesn't show the card, you have problem with ALSA or someone is keeping the device busy. When "aplay -l" begins to show it, it should also start appearing through networkaudiod.

This sounds like you have a GUI in your NAA machine. You shouldn't have any GUI, only text console. If you have a GUI, you also likely have "pulseaudio" installed and running and that is a big steaming pile of **** similar to CoreAudio and Windows mixer/rate converter audio engines. You need to make sure pulseaudio doesn't mess with the device, at least by modifying it's configuration or preferably removing it from the system altogether.

Today I made a fresh start and it worked: HQP now connects to NAA (after applying the IP6 tweak) and recognizes the DAC. Thanks, Miska!

My NAA machine runs on snake oil – and no I am not joking:

Snakeoil OS - Linux OS For The Audiophile

It is a very minimal ubuntu distribution. I think I like it, and have asked the developer to react to your comment on pulseaudio.

audio system

Today I made a fresh start and it worked: HQP now connects to NAA (after applying the IP6 tweak) and recognizes the DAC. Thanks, Miska!

My NAA machine runs on snake oil – and no I am not joking:

Snakeoil OS - Linux OS For The Audiophile

It is a very minimal ubuntu distribution. I think I like it, and have asked the developer to react to your comment on pulseaudio.

Hello bodiebill

I'm using snake oil too, and HQPlayer can't see my NAA, what is the IP& tweak you mention??

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

I installed the newly available HQPlayer 3.14.0 today, and tried both Raspberry Pi3 and Beaglebone Black as NAA with the pre-built images, and did not encounter the above issue, so it looks like it's fixed.

The issue of HQP not detecting a BBB NAA after stopping playback has hit me today a total of 4 times. Not sure why I did not encounter this previously, but it's now very repeatable.

With this, I'll likely keep using my Pi2 or Pi3 as NAA along with my favorite: microRendu, and leave my BBB to be something other than NAA.

Reply from Snakeoil developer:

Snakeoil by default runs only in console mode. There is only one console (tty1) and you can even disable that in the Snakeoil tab.

The only exception is when one needs to run a GUI music player (e.g. JRiver), where a virtual desktop is used.

PCH could well be the on board sound card on your motherboard. You should be able to disable Intel HD audio or Azalia codec (PCH may call this something else now though) in your system's BIOS and. Once disabled this audio and that audio card will not show up in the list.

Pulseaudio is not included in the Snakeoil distro for precisely the reasons Laako stated. By default most players will access the audio using direct hardware access (i.e. something like hw:0,0). Of course expert users can always tweak the OS to route the audio via something else.

audio system

The issue of HQP not detecting a BBB NAA after stopping playback has hit me today a total of 4 times. Not sure why I did not encounter this previously, but it's now very repeatable.

With this, I'll likely keep using my Pi2 or Pi3 as NAA along with my favorite: microRendu, and leave my BBB to be something other than NAA.

I experienced this with BBxM. Perhaps there's something about the Beagle hardware or the Debian installation on them that causes it.

Miska had asked me a while back for the NAA info from Linux and the HQPlayer log so he could look into this, but I went on vacation and since I came back I've been using the Cubox that doesn't have the problem.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

By the way, I had wanted to mention:

I had been able to run HQPlayer on my desktop to upsample to DSD256, though with occasional stuttering. At some point during the betas DSD256 became impossible (constant stuttering), but I was able to play DSD128 with occasional stuttering. Then a couple of weeks ago (around betas 7 and 8), the ability to play DSD256 came back.

I wanted to see what was causing the stuttering, so I connected my main system DAC to the desktop and got the same result as with the NAA, so it wasn't the network.

I then remembered "de-overclocking" my desktop a year or so ago to try to get the best sound from the desktop system. Of course with an NAA this isn't a consideration. So I re-overclocked the 2009 vintage i7-950 CPU (from 3.07 to 3.7GHz), and now I'm able to upsample to DSD 256 and listen to music with almost no stuttering - two occasions in over an hour of listening last night. (I imagine this may be caused by something the OS is automatically running from time to time - perhaps I'll get around to looking into it.) The music is sounding very nice indeed.

So if you have gone the fairly popular route of making sure your system is very quiet, remember this is not quite such a consideration when an NAA is used. Consider the possibility of maximizing your CPU speed for best capability of running HQPlayer.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I am using a 1 Ampere LPSU to feed the Raspberry Pi 3 and the HifiBerry DAC Pro +.

Is this too short?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I am using a 1 Ampere LPSU to feed the Raspberry Pi 3 and the HifiBerry DAC Pro +.

Is this too short?

R

5 Volt 2.5 Amps is recommended

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

I experienced this with BBxM. Perhaps there's something about the Beagle hardware or the Debian installation on them that causes it.

Miska had asked me a while back for the NAA info from Linux and the HQPlayer log so he could look into this, but I went on vacation and since I came back I've been using the Cubox that doesn't have the problem.

Debian Stretch is pretty much moving target (since it's Debian's testing-branch), getting lot of updates all the time. So it makes sense to check again every now and then.

What I've tested, also the plain NAA image I provide seem to work fine for me. It is not using Debian.

I just installed debian stretch in my Brix Celeron mini PC with NAA and works and sounds great, but i guest if i can install a low latency kernel, but i can't find one for debian stretch, did somebody knows of one??

I just installed debian stretch in my Brix Celeron mini PC with NAA and works and sounds great, but i guest if i can install a low latency kernel, but i can't find one for debian stretch, did somebody knows of one??

Not sure if this would work with NAA but what about AudioLinux? Its supposed to be based on a real time kernel. I've been thinking about using this on my main audio pc running HQP. It would be great AudioLinux would also work with NAA.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Debian has realtime kernel instead of lowlatency kernel. Occasionally it disappears from the repository and then comes back later. And it may crash or not work on some machines, at least recently. So it is sort of work-in-progress. But as long as you keep the default kernel installed too, you can choose the one you want to boot in bootloader menu.

I experienced same issue with NAA image for BBB, with newest released of HQPlayer Desktop, and previous version too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HQP discovers my NAA without a problem: the IP address of the NAA machine shows up and I can select NAA in the settings. Both HQP and NAA are on Windows PC's.

However, the only option to choose from is JPLAY. MY Combo384 Amanero DAC which is active on the NAA PC is not recognized by HQP.

When I connect my DAC directly to the HQP PC, there is no problem: it is recognized.

And when startup my NAA machine with Linux (Ubuntu) instead of Windows, the DAC is recognized also.

Any idea why HQP refuses to see my DAC when it is on the Windows NAA PC?

audio system

HQP discovers my NAA without a problem: the IP address of the NAA machine shows up and I can select NAA in the settings. Both HQP and NAA are on Windows PC's.

However, the only option to choose from is JPLAY. MY Combo384 Amanero DAC which is active on the NAA PC is not recognized by HQP.

When I connect my DAC directly to the HQP PC, there is no problem: it is recognized.

And when startup my NAA machine with Linux (Ubuntu) instead of Windows, the DAC is recognized also.

Any idea why HQP refuses to see my DAC when it is on the Windows NAA PC?

I had the same issue. What worked for me was to simply unplug and replug the usb cable. Also, you may want to uninstall JPLAY. BTW, can you select JPLAY in HQP, then in JPLAY select your DAC?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

BTW, can you select JPLAY in HQP, then in JPLAY select your DAC?

Thanks, yes I can.

And when I uninstall JPLAY on the NAA PC, the DAC is still not recognized: nothing to choose from.

This is the NAA log:

[C:\Program Files\NAAx64\networkaudiod.exe] (2044): networkaudiod Copyright © 2011-2016 Jus

ights reserved.

[C:\Program Files\NAAx64\networkaudiod.exe] (2044): ASIO Technology by Steinberg Media Techno

[C:\Program Files\NAAx64\networkaudiod.exe] (2044): discovery from [::ffff:192.168.1.201]:516

[C:\Program Files\NAAx64\networkaudiod.exe] (2044): connection from [::ffff:192.168.1.201]:55

[C:\Program Files\NAAx64\networkaudiod.exe] (2044): protocol error: clASIOMiniEngine:: DeviceLookup(): lDrivs < 0

[C:\Program Files\NAAx64\networkaudiod.exe] (2044): begin disconnection

[C:\Program Files\NAAx64\networkaudiod.exe] (2044): disconnected [::ffff:192.168.1.201]:55704

audio system

And when I uninstall JPLAY on the NAA PC, the DAC is still not recognized: nothing to choose from.

Does your DAC come with an ASIO driver?

[C:\Program Files\NAAx64\networkaudiod.exe] (2044): protocol error: clASIOMiniEngine:: DeviceLookup(): lDrivs < 0

Means there are no ASIO drivers found in the system.