IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

It also, at the present time, greatly improves your chances of higher raw DSD bitrates. I do raw DSD512 upsampling in Windows, and max DoP DSD128 currently in Linux.

That's a route I may have to go down at some point as my DAC is DSD256 capable on raw dsd, but apparently no current Linux support for this mode on my DAC.

Unless I'm mistaken, to go down this route would mean I have to buy Windows OS licenses for both server PC and NAA and also a HQP Windows license? I presume simply adding a Windows based NAA fed by my existing Linux HQP server pc might have been simpler than struggling with Debian, but would have necessitated buying a Windows OS license just to try out NAA and still won't realise the 256 potential of my DAC?

After struggling with all this I appreciate my Bryston a bit more....

That's a route I may have to go down at some point as my DAC is DSD256 capable on raw dsd, but apparently no current Linux support for this mode on my DAC.

Unless I'm mistaken, to go down this route would mean I have to buy Windows OS licenses for both server PC and NAA and also a HQP Windows license?

I presume simply adding a Windows based NAA fed by my existing Linux HQP server pc might have been simpler than struggling with Debian, but would have necessitated buying a Windows OS license just to try out NAA and still won't realise the 256 potential of my DAC?

It's the NAA OS capability + DAC Driver availability which matters for the rate provided to your DAC here.

On the server, it's the pure processing power, so the OS is irrelevant.

For instance, you could do real-time up-conversion to DSD512 on the main server computer no matter what the OS (Linux if you prefer, even Mac OS X). Then your HQ Player sends that stream to your NAA through Ethernet.

It is the NAA which needs to have an OS and possibly a DAC driver to be able to do the final use of DSD512 to the DAC. Therefore, if you have issues with Mac here, you could envision Linux if the rate and the DAC is supported or Windows.

Hence, you do not need two Windows OS licenses, zero ideally, and one if absolutely necessary.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Yes, as YashN nicely summarizes, all you need for the NAA OS is the proper one for your DAC driver support, regardless of your HQP machine's OS. I am not necessarily advocating Windows 10 Pro here, but simply want to remind audio lovers that although there are typically two big negatives against Windows (cost and bloatware) the second issue is easily overcome. With the porting of AudioPhil's amazingly effective and thorough Audiophile Optimizer over to Windows 10 Pro (I choose Pro due to Remote desktop for headless designs) you can very easily strip Win 10 of bloatware and tune it to be a very very musical and minimal OS, while keeping the only inherent benefit: the wonderful ASIO drivers that go to DSD512 in many cases. FYI. Go Linux if possible, of course, but realize that Win 10 Pro AO is not your fathers OS.

It's the NAA OS capability + DAC Driver availability which matters for the rate provided to your DAC here.

On the server, it's the pure processing power, so the OS is irrelevant.

For instance, you could do real-time up-conversion to DSD512 on the main server computer no matter what the OS (Linux if you prefer, even Mac OS X). Then your HQ Player sends that stream to your NAA through Ethernet.

It is the NAA which needs to have an OS and possibly a DAC driver to be able to do the final use of DSD512 to the DAC. Therefore, if you have issues with Mac here, you could envision Linux if the rate and the DAC is supported or Windows.

Hence, you do not need two Windows OS licenses, zero ideally, and one if absolutely necessary.

Thanks, that's interesting. I know my DAC can work with raw dsd in Windows via a supplied ASIO driver. So if I set up a windows based NAA instead, that should mean that I can send dsd256 from my Ubuntu HQP server even though Ubuntu itself doesn't support my DAC for raw dsd?

Thanks, that's interesting. I know my DAC can work with raw dsd in Windows via a supplied ASIO driver. So if I set up a windows based NAA instead, that should mean that I can send dsd256 from my Ubuntu HQP server even though Ubuntu itself doesn't support my DAC for raw dsd?

Yes, because your dac is then connected to and supported by Windows, not Ubuntu.

should this work also on an old cubox (prior to cubox-i)?

The binary deb package yes, it is built for generic "armhf" architecture and should work. Same goes for the Debian distribution itself.

Since Debian doesn't officially support the older Marvell-based CuBox, you'll need some extra effort to get it installed. It may work also through upgrade path from Jessie. But Stretch requires certain kernel options to be enabled that Jessie didn't, so depending on your kernel configuration it may or may not work without rebuilding the kernel.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Would it be possible to instal HQP NAA in this R-Pi2+DAC combo?

AUDIOPHONICS RaspDAC Kit DIY Network player Raspberry Pi 2.0 & DAC Sabre V3

It looks interesting.

Yes, the pre-built image works for example with HifiBerry devices. I have Digi+ and DAC+ Pro. And since those use the internal I2S bus instead of USB, the combination is not plagued by the shortcomings of the on-board USB ethernet adapter on a shared bus with the USB connectors..

For that particular device I cannot comment how hard it is to get working, since I don't have it.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Yes, the pre-built image works for example with HifiBerry devices. I have Digi+ and DAC+ Pro. And since those use the internal I2S bus instead of USB, the combination is not plagued by the shortcomings of the on-board USB ethernet adapter on a shared bus with the USB connectors..

For that particular device I cannot comment how hard it is to get working, since I don't have it.

Thanks. I'll try HifiBerry then.

Any suggestions for LPSUs?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I'm using a Windows i3 laptop as an NAA and an i7 with 16 bit of RAM for HQP DESKTOP. Both are Windows 10 machines. The system plays beautifully, up sampling in PCM to 192hz, but the NAA experiences a delay in recognizing commands from the Desktop version, and very often, when switching tracks the music will stop.

What can I do to make the NAA more responsive?

Guys, I have a question about connecting the NAA and HQP pcs (both windows). Is it possible to connect both directly with an Ethernet cable? I would like to avoid connecting both pcs to my router because potential noise. This direct connection is how I connect my Control and Audio pcs in a Jplay setup. I assume if I just make sure both pcs are on the same subnet and have fixed ip addresses I should be ok? If so, in theory this should also work if I use a Raspberry Pi as NAA and Windows running HQP?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I am using the latest version of HQPlayer on Windows 10 and NAA 311 version on Cubox-i4Pro. I experienced a lot of dropout.s However, I use my Macbook Air to replace the Cubox-i as NAA and using 320 version. No more dropout happens. So, I installed 321 verson on Cubox, but then HQPlayer cannot see it. When I switch back the NAA to previous version, my HQPlayer sees it again.

Any experience sharing on the current version NAA on Cubox?

Guys, I have a question about connecting the NAA and HQP pcs (both windows). Is it possible to connect both directly with an Ethernet cable? I would like to avoid connecting both pcs to my router because potential noise. This direct connection is how I connect my Control and Audio pcs in a Jplay setup. I assume if I just make sure both pcs are on the same subnet and have fixed ip addresses I should be ok? If so, in theory this should also work if I use a Raspberry Pi as NAA and Windows running HQP?

Yes, you can bridge two Ethernet ports under Windows. Goto the "change adapter" screen, highlight both adapters, then right click and choose the bridge option. Once done you will have one IP address for both ports. You can go with dhcp or static addresses, but the latter is recommended.

I have never tested running HQplayer with an NAA in bridge mode, so that may be problematic.

Over here, I have been running this way for a couple years on both Windows and Linux.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Yes, you can bridge two Ethernet ports under Windows. Goto the "change adapter" screen, highlight both adapters, then right click and choose the bridge option. Once done you will have one IP address for both ports. You can go with dhcp or static addresses, but the latter is recommended.

I have never tested running HQplayer with an NAA in bridge mode, so that may be problematic.

Over here, I have been running this way for a couple years on both Windows and Linux.

Thank you for the reply. I am no networking expert but I am not sure I am asking about bridging adapters. In my previous 2 PC setup with Jplay, the Audio PC (i.e. the NAA) was only connected to the Control PC (i.e. HQP PC) allowing both PCs to talk directly to each other. The Audio PC only had 1 ethernet port while my Control PC has two. The Audio PC is not on my home network while the Control PC uses it second port to connect to my network to access music and allow remote control. Does that make sense? In this scenario, do I have to bridge the 2 network adapters on my Control PC (the one running HQP)?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Not really, I'm using 5VDC output of my DSC DAC PSU for running those small ARM boards...

Hi Miska,

I am expecting delivery of a DAC+ Pro from HifiBerry but have just realised that mistakenly ordered it with the R-Pi 3.

Will your image work with the new model?

How do I install it in an SD card using a mac?

Are you using Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

Thanks,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

For people using Pi + Digi does that mean you are not converting to DSD or keeping it to DSD64 since DoP over SPDIF can only handle up to 24/192.

Other components:

I am using the latest version of HQPlayer on Windows 10 and NAA 311 version on Cubox-i4Pro. I experienced a lot of dropout.s However, I use my Macbook Air to replace the Cubox-i as NAA and using 320 version. No more dropout happens. So, I installed 321 verson on Cubox, but then HQPlayer cannot see it. When I switch back the NAA to previous version, my HQPlayer sees it again.

Any experience sharing on the current version NAA on Cubox?

Interested in feedback as well since I'm experiencing the same thing. The cubox is unusable at this point.

I picked up a cubox-i4pro for use as an NAA mainly as a test before getting a sonic orbitor or microR. I'm using the latest cubox NAA image and latest HQPlayer on a high end win10 wkst. Network is fiber (switch to media converter to cubox) but tried cat6 and no difference.

I have been using a mini as the NAA for sometime without any issues whatsoever. I have tried all the HQPlayers buffer settings to no avail.

DAC is a Lampi L7, upsampling PCM to DSD. I get the same results playing native PCM

I hope there is someone that can lend assistance.

Sent from CA app

My rig

Interested in feedback as well since I'm experiencing the same thing. The cubox is unusable at this point.

I picked up a cubox-i4pro for use as an NAA mainly as a test before getting a sonic orbitor or microR. I'm using the latest cubox NAA image and latest HQPlayer on a high end win10 wkst. Network is fiber (switch to media converter to cubox) but tried cat6 and no difference.

I have been using a mini as the NAA for sometime without any issues whatsoever. I have tried all the HQPlayers buffer settings to no avail.

DAC is a Lampi L7, upsampling PCM to DSD. I get the same results playing native PCM

Sent from CA app

Cubox NAA is quite a black box to us. It works then it works. I am also wondering whether I should install a NUC as NAA. BTW, I am using a Lamp L4 DSD only.

Sent from CA app

I recently saw on one of the threads something about how Win10 does networking differently and how to disable that feature. This discussion stemmed from a similar problem you are seeing and once the Win10 feature was disabled the problem was reportedly solved.

I have been searching the various threads and have yet to find where this is located. Maybe someone else remembers this and can point to the information.

I recently saw on one of the threads something about how Win10 does networking differently and how to disable that feature. This discussion stemmed from a similar problem you are seeing and once the Win10 feature was disabled the problem was reportedly solved.

I have been searching the various threads and have yet to find where this is located. Maybe someone else remembers this and can point to the information.

Perhaps you are referring to this message:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hq-player-20293/index216.html#post544058