IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

There's no SSH server and there are no tools for checking alsamixer values on my NAA image.

If the DAC has mixer controls, then best option is to install Debian Stretch on CuBox-i and then networkaudiod on that one. Then one can have all the normal utilities and SSH server there as well.

I just installed the NAA image for my BBB+r2r player.

A problem I have right now is I can not login in through SSH to configure the wireless network for it. Any work around?

pNlF4HVl.jpg

I just installed the NAA image for my BBB+r2r player.

A problem I have right now is I can not login in through SSH to configure the wireless network for it. Any work around?

Like Miska said for me on the Cubox, your best option is to install Debian Stretch on BBB and then networkaudiod. Then you have all the options you need.

Stretch installer for both CuBox-i and BBB (plus bunch of other hardwares) can be found here:

Studenten Net Twente - Index of /debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/hd-media/SD-card-images/

Check the README file there. You combine the two parts into one image, dump it on microSD card and boot to get a normal Debian installer. Requires some knowledge on Linux, but it is quite straightforward process. At the end when package selections are asked, my recommendation is to select only SSH server and nothing else - this keeps the installation as lean as possible. Then just install the libasound2 and other packages really needed by networkaudiod using "apt-get install".

The package that has alsamixer is called "alsa-utils". For WiFi you need "wpasupplicant".

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Jussi & Linux users,

Any chance of an updated Linux NAA images coming soon? My Cubox-i desires native dsd support for a number of popular DACs that have been added recently.

If not can someone tell me how I update my Cubox-i (currently with Jussi's image) with the latest from lintweaker? The Cubox-i is connected to my network, but is running headless. Sorry, not a linux power user.

Thanks!

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

I have built new images for CuBox-i and BeagleBone, but haven't got time to test those yet...
If you need a beta tester for the cubox-i you know where to find me.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

The lowest power machine I've been able to reliably get DSD256 on was a I7-3615QM 2.3ghz (4-core MacMini Late 2012). This machine had an SSD, 16gb RAM and 6gb L3. I could only get it when I used polysinc 2s variant filters. I believe Jussi has a similar machine with Windows 8 installed on it that also does DSD256.

I'm now using 2x Xeon E5520 2.26ghz (8-core Mac Pro Early 2009). This machine has a SSD, 28gB RAM and 8gb L3. It also has a CUDA enabled GTX780 GPU. It will do DSD256 with any filter I through at it...I typically use either poly-sinc or closed-form. It won't do DSD512 without stuttering, however. The CUDA card got me from poly-sinc 2s to poly-sinc with DSD256.

The machine I'm using most at DSD256 is a 2x Xeon 2670 2.6ghz (16 core Dell Precision T5600 - 2013). This machine has a SSD 64gB RAM and 40gb L3. It also has a CUDA enable MSI GTX970 GPU). I'm currently running Windows 10 on this machine with Fidelizer 7.0. It will do DSD256 effortlessly including with DSD256 files with DSP. processing with any filter. It will also do DSD512 with polysinc 2s filters.

If you look back a few pages Jussi weighed in on recommended processors for DSD256. For lower cost machines he recommended a i7 6700K that has 16gb of RAM and 8gb L3. The Dell Precision XPS8900 is sub $1K and comes with a CUDA enabled GPU.

Hope that helps,

Robert

Hi there, I started reading this thread to learn how to create and configure HQP and an Intel based NAA. I'm still pretty lost.

At the risk of coming off sound like the "net police", there is an error above. In all the processor specs above, L3 processor cache is listed in gb..... I'm 99.9999999% certain L3 cache sizes are in megabytes on any Intel CPU made in the last 10 years.

I will continue reading and lurking as I put together parts to do a NAA with HQP.

My Gustard X20U DAC will be delivered today. I have a SOtM USB 3 card already.

I have a dual port Intel X520 fiber NIC on the way to share the fiber Ethernet connection with the NAA w/another X520 NIC.

I'm leaning toward an underclocked Intel i3 MATX for the NAA. My player hardware is already a Z170 i7-6700K w/Samsung SM951 SSD and GTX 960 for 4K Video.

Thanks for all your hard work..

Hi there, I started reading this thread to learn how to create and configure HQP and an Intel based NAA. I'm still pretty lost.

At the risk of coming off sound like the "net police", there is an error above. In all the processor specs above, L3 processor cache is listed in gb..... I'm 99.9999999% certain L3 cache sizes are in megabytes on any Intel CPU made in the last 10 years.

Absolutely correct...L3 is in mb not gb...my bad. Just keep an eye on it for your system as it is definitely one of the things that matters...and a weakness of the typical quad core processors.

Robert

I have a spare windows computer.

I currently have HQ Player installed on the same computer I have my Roon database on. It is a very powerful core i7 computer.

How would I set up NAA on this spare computer. What would be the advantages of using this vs. my present set up with HQ player on my computer with the roon database?

I have a spare windows computer.

I currently have HQ Player installed on the same computer I have my Roon database on. It is a very powerful core i7 computer.

How would I set up NAA on this spare computer. What would be the advantages of using this vs. my present set up with HQ player on my computer with the roon database?

The basic idea is to isolate the fairly simple computer-to-DAC interface (NAA) from all the noise and power of your i7's heavy lifting (HQP and Roon work). So...unclutter your spare computer (a clean minimalist Windows 10 install would be good) and simply install your DACs driver on it, and then the NAA software (which is a small networkaudiod.exe). Connect it to your DAC. Put the pc on the same network as the HQP machine, start the NAA daemon (shows up as a DOS command line window) and HQP will find it (HQP setting is NAA, then choose the driver).

The basic idea is to isolate the fairly simple computer-to-DAC interface (NAA) from all the noise and power of your i7's heavy lifting (HQP and Roon work). So...unclutter your spare computer (a clean minimalist Windows 10 install would be good) and simply install your DACs driver on it, and then the NAA software (which is a small networkaudiod.exe). Connect it to your DAC. Put the pc on the same network as the HQP machine, start the NAA daemon (shows up as a DOS command line window) and HQP will find it (HQP setting is NAA, then choose the driver).

This is a really well-written and Incredibly clear post Ted. It should be archived for the thread as a fundamental statement of what NAA is and how to do it. For the most part it applies directly to both Linux and Mac installations as well as Windows.

Robert

Jussi & Linux users,

Any chance of an updated Linux NAA images coming soon? My Cubox-i desires native dsd support for a number of popular DACs that have been added recently.

If not can someone tell me how I update my Cubox-i (currently with Jussi's image) with the latest from lintweaker? The Cubox-i is connected to my network, but is running headless. Sorry, not a linux power user.

Thanks!

Robert

Miska's latest Cubox-i image supports native DSD (non-DoP). I have been using it for several months now with my TPA Buffalo III-SE DAC which has the JLSounds USB board which was added to lintweaker on March 28, 2015.

If you need instructions on how to install latest image:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/installation-hq-player-naa-cubox-i-24863/

Ted,

For the computer with the NAA software, do you also need to install Roon? Or should Roon only be on the original computer with the full hq player software and Roon?

No, Roon is on the HQP i7 machine, doing library management (and maybe browsing, but I'd use a tablet for that) and handing off bitstreams to HQP on that same machine. NAA is just a network-attached HQP buffer, connected to your DAC.

Miska's latest Cubox-i image supports native DSD (non-DoP). I have been using it for several months now with my TPA Buffalo III-SE DAC which has the JLSounds USB board which was added to lintweaker on March 28, 2015.

If you need instructions on how to install latest image:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/installation-hq-player-naa-cubox-i-24863/

Right, but lintweaker's updates are coming constantly and I need updates that were made in January after Jussi's last released build. We're also looking forward to getting the most recent 3.20 NAA incorporated into the builds.

Robert

Right, but lintweaker's updates are coming constantly and I need updates that were made in January after Jussi's last released build. We're also looking forward to getting the most recent 3.20 NAA incorporated into the builds.

Robert

Ok, understand now.

Getting away from having to use DoP was a big plus in my case. So, hopefully you can get this sorted out soon.

Stretch installer for both CuBox-i and BBB (plus bunch of other hardwares) can be found here:

Studenten Net Twente - Index of /debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/hd-media/SD-card-images/

Check the README file there. You combine the two parts into one image, dump it on microSD card and boot to get a normal Debian installer. Requires some knowledge on Linux, but it is quite straightforward process. At the end when package selections are asked, my recommendation is to select only SSH server and nothing else - this keeps the installation as lean as possible. Then just install the libasound2 and other packages really needed by networkaudiod using "apt-get install".

The package that has alsamixer is called "alsa-utils". For WiFi you need "wpasupplicant".

A friend of mine followed this procedure.

He stitched the images together, put it on a SD card and launched it in Cubox. At the end of startup, however, there is a black screen and he does not know how to proceed.

He stitched the images together, put it on a SD card and launched it in Cubox. At the end of startup, however, there is a black screen and he does not know how to proceed.

I had the same issue. In talking to Jussi, he said you probably have to login remotely using ssh(?). I never took the time to learn how to do this.

For me, it is easiest to use Jussi's NAA images for the specific computers.

CuBox has serial console on the microUSB connector. If you have Linux, drivers for that are included in the Linux kernel and it's ready to go, you can use minicom or screen as a terminal. Serial port settings are 115200,N,8,1 and no hardware handshake (CTS/RTS) and no carrier detect (DCD).

If you are on Windows, you can get FTDI's USB serial drivers here:

Virtual COM Port Drivers

And you can use PuTTY as terminal:

PuTTY Download Page

BeagleBone Black also has serial console, but you need a 3.3V TTL -level serial cable for it, same cable also works with MinnowBoard MAX and Intel Galileo for example:

Beagleboard:BeagleBone Black Serial - eLinux.org

Jussi, any luck you made ssh available in the new BBB image? If so what are the acount credentials for the image?

What would you do with ssh? If you need to modify something, it is better to mount the filesystem on full Linux machine and do the modifications through that. Alternatively you can mount the image file straight and modify it before writing to microSD.

I don't want to include ssh because it is not really useful for anything because the image doesn't contain much. And I don't want to create image that would have ssh server active with default credentials because it would pose a security vulnerability.

Hi Jussi, I would like to ssh/sftp onto it to manage it. Which is a very common way and the way I manage all my linux/Unix systems, OS independently. Most embedded board image files come with default credentials, for users to change themselves.

I had the same issue. In talking to Jussi, he said you probably have to login remotely using ssh(?).

My apologies for putting out the erroneous information above. It was not ssh but that the CuBox has serial console on the microUSB connector that Jussi mentioned above. I knew it was something well beyond my capabilities.