IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

5 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Does the fitlet2 (what I use) have the same shortages?

Sorry not to have any information to provide there - I've ordered the 3 because of the optional optical Ethernet input, so that's the one I'm tracking. Been looking for other mini-PCs or SBCs with optical Ethernet input but haven't found anything so far that isn't fairly expensive.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

11 hours ago, ted_b said:

My fitlet2  has fiber too, of course. That’s why I have a full thread about it. Not sure what the 3 improves upon.  Mine cost me $385

Don't know if the 2 is better off than the 3. (6 week lead time projected, so it doesn't sound as if parts are sitting on hand.)

Biggest difference I see is a newer processor that benchmarks about 2-3 times faster than the old one (nice for installing software and OS updates).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 11/10/2022 at 1:51 AM, Miska said:

Some fixes and improvements on input side NAA support. If you are using NAA just for output, no changes.

The T+A SDV 3100 HV has NAA on board and I asked T+A support if a NAA update was in the works. The answer was that NAA has the software version 4.4. 

How does this different versioning come about? Is this really newer then 4.3?

Would an update on the part of T+A make sense?

On 11/9/2022 at 9:39 PM, Miska said:

Ahh, yes, they seem to have a firmware bug. After DSD going back to PCM mode at the same rate keeps output silent and just "--" as rate. If I switch to 384 and then back to 352.8, it works. 44.1x256 DSD and 352.8k PCM have the same USB rate. And the DAC doesn't seem to know how to reset itself in this case.

Hi Jussi, is this a bug from Accuphase? If so, I shall make contact to them for the rectification. I would expect a $35K DAC to be thoroughly tested prior to production. 

On 11/9/2022 at 9:39 PM, Miska said:

But I also found your level issue when testing this. They have USB controlled digital volume control for PCM. You need to use "alsamixer" and "alsactl" to set it and store it:

951697165_Screenshotfrom2022-11-0915-38-27.png.f24621e0bf5e5f54cb00a07994136d8e.png

See here recently discussed similar problem:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/problem-with-rose-rs250-and-hqplayer/202904/25?u=jussi_laako

Thanks for this. I got it sorted beautifully. Now sounds fantastic without the need to adjust the volume between switching DSD 2 PCM. 

On 11/11/2022 at 4:52 PM, StreamFidelity said:

The T+A SDV 3100 HV has NAA on board and I asked T+A support if a NAA update was in the works. The answer was that NAA has the software version 4.4. 

There is no NAA 4.4. Maybe it is a typo and it is 4.0.4? Or something like that.

On 11/11/2022 at 4:52 PM, StreamFidelity said:

Would an update on the part of T+A make sense?

If it works fine currently and is at 4.x level, no pressing reasons to update. Most of the updates and fixes are around the input feature which is not in use in this case.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 11/10/2022 at 6:49 AM, Chanh said:

Does this mean - if I use both LAN ports from JCat network card with two Ethernet cable to the same switch, it may work? 

On 11/10/2022 at 8:57 AM, Miska said:

No, you'd need to have two independent networks with two separate DHCP servers.

But I don't see a particular reason for such card. Just use a regular CAT6 U/UTP cable and you should be fine with the on-board ethernet.

Do not use shielded (STP) network cables!

Jussi and all,  you might be aware - I had an issue getting my HQP OS 4.33 to see the USB DAC from NAA OS 4.25 when using JCAT Network card in NAA OS SERVER. After exhausted all possibility I settled with the onboard LAN port and removed the JCat network card. All is working fine. Today I’ve sometime to retry the JCat network card and it works.

With the onboard LAN ports disabled from bios, I reactivated back the JCat Network card and had both ports connected to a switch/router. When I restart the NAA OS server, HQP can pick up my USB DAC via the network audio backend. Ohlalá...! 

Personally - I don't know what has happened but it plays ok. It plays ok even if removed the second Ethernet cable. My IP detector app can see both IP addresses for the same name “naa”. When I disconnect the second port, that IP address is no longer visible, but NAA is still playing ok. Note you must have both LAN ports connected at the start-up of NAA OS. If only one Lan port is connected when you start-up NAA OS, the visibility of the USB DAC in HQP OS won't be there.

Please give it a crack and report if you have previously shared my Cat Network card issue.  

I hope with this feedback - Jussi can emulate and find a fix for future revision/update!

Certainly - it sounds much more engaging and enjoyable with JCat network card. 

3 hours ago, Chanh said:

I hope with this feedback - Jussi can emulate and find a fix for future revision/update!

As I've explained before, there's nothing to fix. The rule set on NAA OS says that the NAA functionality gets started once all ethernet ports are configured and up. So if you have more than one port and some of those are not connected anywhere, the NAA functionality will never start.

Of course you can adjust the network configuration of the OS to your fitting.

3 hours ago, Rovo said:

@Miskawhich adjustment(s) to the NAA OS is necessary in order to be able to get the NAA functionality started when using a JCAT USB card with two LAN ports (with only one port connected)?

You need to adjust network configuration under /etc/systemd/network to use explicitly the port you want to use.

Note that you cannot do this easily with the ramfs image version, you need to use the ordinary one.

For documentation, see:

https://systemd.network/systemd.network.html

On 11/12/2022 at 7:08 PM, Miska said:

There is no NAA 4.4. Maybe it is a typo and it is 4.0.4? Or something like that.

T+A support told me, that SDV 3100 HV has NAA version 3.5. Is this ok?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!, I am testing the demo of hqplayer with NAA (last version for Rapsberry Pi 4) to my dac with i2s Ian FifoPi and dac with Philips TDA1541A chip. NAA recognizes perfectly in usb dac that I connect to Rapsberry Pi, but does not recognize the dac i2s (which is what I use). Is there any way for this to work with my i2s dac?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Jjazz said:

Hi!, I am testing the demo of hqplayer with NAA (last version for Rapsberry Pi 4) to my dac with i2s Ian FifoPi and dac with Philips TDA1541A chip. NAA recognizes perfectly in usb dac that I connect to Rapsberry Pi, but does not recognize the dac i2s (which is what I use). Is there any way for this to work with my i2s dac?

You need to have correct DAC overlay set in config.txt on boot partition of the NAA OS. Since the boot partition is regular FAT32 filesystem, you can edit this file easily on any computer. Or on the RPi itself once booted up it should appear mounted under /boot

For example for my RPi4 + HifiBerry DAC2 HD "network DAC" at the end of config.txt I have turned off the graphics and enabled the audio:

#dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,audio=off

dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplushd
force_eeprom_read=0

You can also see the available overlays under overlays -folder.

Apologies for duplicating this in this forum, will try here as well due to the NAA focus here.

I have received today my USB2 upgrade for Ayre QX-5 Twenty from good folks at Hifisound UK. I can play Roon Windows 11 -> local HQPlayer -> DoP DSD256x48 -> Ethernet -> NAA service on MacOS -> USB -> DAC with no issues.

Anyone could suggest how the native DSD512 mode supported by this upgrade could be used instead of DoP? Does the NAA support for DAC's need to be somehow enabled? The opticalRendu guys had to enable QX-5 for this but I'm not sure whether NAA is similar in that regard, or I may be missing something obvious?

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, warrior_on_mars said:

I have received today my USB2 upgrade for Ayre QX-5 Twenty from good folks at Hifisound UK. I can play Roon Windows 11 -> local HQPlayer -> DoP DSD256x48 -> Ethernet -> NAA service on MacOS -> USB -> DAC with no issues.

Anyone could suggest how the native DSD512 mode supported by this upgrade could be used instead of DoP? Does the NAA support for DAC's need to be somehow enabled? The opticalRendu guys had to enable QX-5 for this but I'm not sure whether NAA is similar in that regard, or I may be missing something obvious?

As long as the OS/drivers where NAA is running supports native DSD on that device, it should work.

Since macOS doesn't support such, running NAA on macOS doesn't either. opticalRendu has NAA support and thus if it should work for the purpose. Or some other suitable device.

4 hours ago, warrior_on_mars said:

I see, many thanks for this. I suppose I'll have to dig through the forums and see what fanless Linux box I should get that will do the job. If we have a recommendation for a fanless box in the region of $500/£500, would be great.

Thanks again!

The fitlet2 and fitlet3 from Compulab are popular choices especially with fiber optic (SFP) ports. The fitlet2 has been available for some time now but the fitlet3 appears to be delayed according to latest information. Suggest checking shipping status of both.

Another option are from Up Systems

24 minutes ago, warrior_on_mars said:

Thanks, fitlet2 would be a decent option but seems difficult to find in the UK/EU. Do you know if this will work for DSD512 direct DSD:

SOtM – sMS-200ultra NEO & sPS-500 Power Supply

This is really more expensive but ... you know, if this does the job.

I use the fitlet2 as HQP NAA for DSD512 connected via fiber optics to my Ubuntu-based sever running HQP Desktop.

Not used the SOtM equipment.

For systems (not just boards), for example OnLogic (ex LogicSupply) sells machines. From NAA style things to devices that can run HQPlayer Embedded:

https://www.onlogic.com/computers/industrial/fanless/

I'm still using for example my old CL100 as a NAA, at the moment running Fedora 36.

For some products at least they use ASRock industrial boards: https://www.asrockind.com (ASRock also makes some of their own systems)

UP systems are made by Aaeon, which is industrial computing branch of ASUS.

Then there is Advantech, which is old industrial computer manufacturer, making both all kinds of board solutions, plus complete systems:

https://www.advantech.com/en-eu/

Plus then bunch of board level embedded board level / SoM manufacturers.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:03 PM, Miska said:

You need to have correct DAC overlay set in config.txt on boot partition of the NAA OS. Since the boot partition is regular FAT32 filesystem, you can edit this file easily on any computer. Or on the RPi itself once booted up it should appear mounted under /boot

For example for my RPi4 + HifiBerry DAC2 HD "network DAC" at the end of config.txt I have turned off the graphics and enabled the audio:

#dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,audio=off

dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplushd
force_eeprom_read=0

You can also see the available overlays under overlays -folder.

Thank you very much Miska for your help, I have done this with the overlay of hifiberry-dac which is the one that works with ian canada fifopi, however it does not work for NAA or Hqplayer embedded. The dac appears but music cannot be played. Any idea what the problem might be? I'm happy with Volumio but I'm sure I'd be much happier with room and hqplayer.

Best regards