IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

• 2 weeks later...

Another newbie question: I have my main NAA working on an Intel NUC using the NAA OS image. I'm now ready to add an NAA endpoint for my headphone setup. I have a RPI4 running RopieeeXL which has an NAA client built-in. I understand I can't have two NAA endpoints with same name, but since I can't see the name for either NAA (no interface for NAA OS and I see nothing that allows me to name the PI NAA) how do I avoid a naming conflict? At some point I'll add another HQP OS license and device to run both setups in parallel, but for now I just want to switch the NAA client being used by my HQP Server. I assume this is possible once I get the naming sorted out.

BTW: I turned 'on' the NAA client in RoPieeeXL and rebooted the PI. But I don't see the additional NAA endpoint in my HQP Server to select. So perhaps a naming conflict etc. Would love some guidance on this. Thank you!

1 hour ago, mrwiggles said:

BTW: I turned 'on' the NAA client in RoPieeeXL and rebooted the PI. But I don't see the additional NAA endpoint in my HQP Server to select. So perhaps a naming conflict etc. Would love some guidance on this. Thank you!

Yes, likely a naming conflict, if the one you see is called "naa" or something like that.

By default, name of the NAA is hostname of the device networkaudiod is running on. But you can change this by editing /etc/default/networkaudiod file and adding a line there like:

NETWORKAUDIOD_NAME="MySecondNAA"

Here's screenshot of example listing:

image_2022-02-08_041618.png.64f3a3dbdc327487cb303827261f276a.png

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 3 weeks later...

Posted this on the Roon Forum as well:

I decided to try to isolate my music on my network and ran into a problem. Here’s how I had everything working:

HQPlayer Desktop 4.10 connected to oR NAA:

Roon Core and HQplayer both loaded on Mac Mini M1, selected “local host” under “Add HQPlayer” in Roon Core settings:
IP Address of Mac Mini was 192.168.0.171
IP Address of OpticalRendu was 192.168.0.58

I created a new VLAN with only these two devices on it
Roon Core and HQplayer on Mac Mini M1
IP Address of Mac Mini 192.168.30.171
IP Address of OpticalRendu 192.168.30.58

Everything looked good, I could see both the oR and M1 on the network. HQplayer Desktop saw the oR, clicked the little icon in HQplayer to engage it. (Tried unclicking network control and re-clicking it multiple times as well)

When I tried to play a song in Roon, it says it cannot find HQplayer. I rebooted the router 5 times, disconnected  and reconnected the oR multiple times as well. Still, I could not get Roon to see HQPlayer.

I since restored my Network backup settings and everything works as it did. What step did I miss here? Did I need to click "add HQPlayer" again on the Roon Core and select “local Host” again? Did Roon retain the ip address of 192.168.0.171 even though it was changed to 192.168.30.171? I could remote connect in to 192.168.30.171 so it was indeed valid as was the IP Address of OpticalRendu of 192.168.30.58. I restarted HQplayer NAA on the Rendu several times as well. Stumped, any ideas? 

30 minutes ago, fmzip said:

Posted this on the Roon Forum as well:

I decided to try to isolate my music on my network and ran into a problem. Here’s how I had everything working:

HQPlayer Desktop 4.10 connected to oR NAA:

Roon Core and HQplayer both loaded on Mac Mini M1, selected “local host” under “Add HQPlayer” in Roon Core settings:
IP Address of Mac Mini was 192.168.0.171
IP Address of OpticalRendu was 192.168.0.58

I created a new VLAN with only these two devices on it
Roon Core and HQplayer on Mac Mini M1
IP Address of Mac Mini 192.168.30.171
IP Address of OpticalRendu 192.168.30.58

Everything looked good, I could see both the oR and M1 on the network. HQplayer Desktop saw the oR, clicked the little icon in HQplayer to engage it. (Tried unclicking network control and re-clicking it multiple times as well)

When I tried to play a song in Roon, it says it cannot find HQplayer. I rebooted the router 5 times, disconnected  and reconnected the oR multiple times as well. Still, I could not get Roon to see HQPlayer.

I since restored my Network backup settings and everything works as it did. What step did I miss here? Did I need to click "add HQPlayer" again on the Roon Core and select “local Host” again? Did Roon retain the ip address of 192.168.0.171 even though it was changed to 192.168.30.171? I could remote connect in to 192.168.30.171 so it was indeed valid as was the IP Address of OpticalRendu of 192.168.30.58. I restarted HQplayer NAA on the Rendu several times as well. Stumped, any ideas? 

Is Roon looking for HQP as "local host" or via an ip address. Check to make sure that if it is looking for HQP with an ip that the ip created in your VLAN setup for the MMM1 is what is entered in Roon. Better yet, use local host. BTW, Roon will be updated tomorrow to use HQP v4 API (Roon is still using HQP v3 API) and all of this will change and you will need HQP 4.16.2 or later (just use 4.17.1) to get Roon to talk to HQP. HQP 4.10 will no longer work with Roon at all. There should be no need for a VLAN unless your network is really saturated with devices and even then a good router should be able to handle it.

16 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Is Roon looking for HQP as "local host" or via an ip address. Check to make sure that if it is looking for HQP with an ip that the ip created in your VLAN setup for the MMM1 is what is entered in Roon. Better yet, use local host. BTW, Roon will be updated tomorrow to use HQP v4 API (Roon is still using HQP v3 API) and all of this will change and you will need HQP 4.16.2 or later (just use 4.17.1) to get Roon to talk to HQP. HQP 4.10 will no longer work with Roon at all. There should be no need for a VLAN unless your network is really saturated with devices and even then a good router should be able to handle it.

Typo on my part....I had already upgraded to 4.17.

Roon was looking for local host in the working setup and also in the

second setup that did not function.

My network isn't overly saturated, 25 devices on it. Decided to put all my IoT devices on a separate VLAN. MAybe need to leave well enough alone. It's always a panic when the music won't play after messing with it for hours at end. Finally was smart and backed up my settings this time around!

2 hours ago, fmzip said:

Typo on my part....I had already upgraded to 4.17.

Roon was looking for local host in the working setup and also in the

second setup that did not function.

My network isn't overly saturated, 25 devices on it. Decided to put all my IoT devices on a separate VLAN. MAybe need to leave well enough alone. It's always a panic when the music won't play after messing with it for hours at end. Finally was smart and backed up my settings this time around!

Segregating the IoT devices on a VLAN is the better way. That way if any of them have security vulnerabilities they shouldn’t be able to compromise your main computers and other devices. It also reduces the chatter on the network. Good call.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Whyme said:

Is there image (from the repo below) I can use for Rpi3 with Hifiberry Digi+?

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/

My goal is to run NAA on Rpi3 and output via COAX to my DAC. Appreciate your help.

Not anymore, I dropped support for older RPi's and just RPi4 remains.

If you need RPi3 NAA suppport, likely DietPi is best option.

@Miska, I tried the NAA image in my ultraRendu as an alternative to SonicOrbiter.  It won't recognize my DAC (NuPrime Evolution) for native DSD.  It only works for DoP.  About a year ago, Sonore fixed this in SonicOrbiter.  Is there a way to get HQPlayer NAA to support Native DSD to my DAC or am I limited to using HQP NAA through SonicOrbiter?

11 minutes ago, MikePid said:

@Miska, I tried the NAA image in my ultraRendu as an alternative to SonicOrbiter.  It won't recognize my DAC (NuPrime Evolution) for native DSD.  It only works for DoP.  About a year ago, Sonore fixed this in SonicOrbiter.  Is there a way to get HQPlayer NAA to support Native DSD to my DAC or am I limited to using HQP NAA through SonicOrbiter?

There are four NuPrime devices supported at the moment. But this should get covered for good over time when kernel rolls to 5.15. But older kernels have still more device lists.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

There are four NuPrime devices supported at the moment. But this should get covered for good over time when kernel rolls to 5.15. But older kernels have still more device lists

Thanks for the info.  I guess I will keep trying new NAA images as you release them.  I figured it was kernel-related.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody had success using a RPi NAA while upsampling music from HQPlayer via a software virtual cable or loopback on the Mac? I can use HQPlayer4Desktop without issue if the DAC is connected locally, but when I select the NAA as the output, playback always fails to start for some reason, no matter the settings. I've tried VB-Cable, Blackhole, and Rogue Ameoba's Loopback, and none of them appear to work with the NAA, even though they work with a local DAC.  This is true with both the arm64 and x64 macOS versions. With the Digiface USB plugged in, I can use the hardware loopback and it plays successfully to the NAA. However, that device isn't connected to the computer with the most processing power, so I'm comparatively limited with it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, wisechoice said:

Has anybody had success using a RPi NAA while upsampling music from HQPlayer via a software virtual cable or loopback on the Mac? I can use HQPlayer4Desktop without issue if the DAC is connected locally, but when I select the NAA as the output, playback always fails to start for some reason, no matter the settings. I've tried VB-Cable, Blackhole, and Rogue Ameoba's Loopback, and none of them appear to work with the NAA, even though they work with a local DAC.  This is true with both the arm64 and x64 macOS versions. With the Digiface USB plugged in, I can use the hardware loopback and it plays successfully to the NAA. However, that device isn't connected to the computer with the most processing power, so I'm comparatively limited with it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Why are you using a virtual interface? I’d just send audio from HQP to NAA. Make sure the DAC is connected to the NAA before trying. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Why are you using a virtual interface? I’d just send audio from HQP to NAA. Make sure the DAC is connected to the NAA before trying. 

Sorry, I guess I should have specified that I'm using a virtual interface to pipe lossless and hi-res audio from Apple Music (and other applications) to HQPlayer via CoreAudio for the backend. The virtual interface is set as both the system audio output and the HQPlayer input device. This works when I'm not using the NAA as the output but instead using a USB DAC connected to the same machine. But it doesn't work when the NAA is selected as the output. When the Digiface is used instead of the virtual interface (as system audio output and HQPlayer input device), it works with the NAA. I'd rather not buy another hardware interface just for the loopback functionality on the computer that's doing the processing. Hope that makes sense.

2 hours ago, wisechoice said:

Sorry, I guess I should have specified that I'm using a virtual interface to pipe lossless and hi-res audio from Apple Music (and other applications) to HQPlayer via CoreAudio for the backend. The virtual interface is set as both the system audio output and the HQPlayer input device. This works when I'm not using the NAA as the output but instead using a USB DAC connected to the same machine. But it doesn't work when the NAA is selected as the output. When the Digiface is used instead of the virtual interface (as system audio output and HQPlayer input device), it works with the NAA. I'd rather not buy another hardware interface just for the loopback functionality on the computer that's doing the processing. Hope that makes sense.

Great, thanks for the explanation. Great use of technology to get what you want. 

perhaps @Miskahas an idea why NAA doesn’t work on this config. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Great, thanks for the explanation. Great use of technology to get what you want. 

perhaps @Miskahas an idea why NAA doesn’t work on this config. 

Thanks. Strange, but it seems to be working now, on both machines. I had already upgraded to the latest version of HQPlayer Desktop & NAA, but it may have also required changing the audio input in the macOS System Preferences. I'm not actually 100% sure. Not only that, but the latest version seems to be more efficient about converting to DSD, and I can get DSD512 with AMSDM7 512+fs and the poly-sinc-ext-2 filter on the M1 Mini, which wasn't working before. Perhaps that has something to do with the SDM algorithm change listed in the notes. Either way, I'm happy now! Thanks for responding!

19 hours ago, wisechoice said:

it may have also required changing the audio input in the macOS System Preferences. I'm not actually 100% sure.

Ideally, the MacOS sound input should be set to something other than the loopback device that is the input for HQPlayer.  It is equivalent to do this in Mac System Prefs or Audio MIDI Setup; they both set the same underlying Core Audio parameters.

To avoid inadvertent sample rate conversion by Core Audio, you should additionally set the sample rate of the loopback virtual device in Audio MIDI Setup to match the streaming source.

(fwiw, I do this with Idagio streaming app > Rogue Amoeba Loopback > HQP Desktop > NAA.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 3 weeks later...