IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

1 hour ago, juanitox said:

ok let me explain my only concern is what will sound better :

my config:  : PC with LPS running HQplayer doind PCM to 512DSD - usb isolator (intona)- DAC

or  PC HQP doing PCM to DSD512- Nuc LPS power supply  HQP NAA - ( usb isolator ?)- DAC

I had similar problems that you describe a long time ago ... you can keep trying to track down the problem in the PC or else say the heck with it and try an NAA ... I’ve never looked back ... assuming your CPU isn’t maxed out the NAA will buffer many drop outs. So second option is what I use. You can always try for yourself, the NUC or ClearFog aren’t expensive. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 8/19/2018 at 7:02 PM, Miska said:

Hi Jussi

I know the power input is rated at 3Amps, but that's probably to cover USB drives hanging off it.

With only your NAA image loaded and a USB DAC that is self powered (i.e. DAC that is not 5V bus powered), can you test if this UP-GWS01 will be powered by a USB3.0 port (900mA)?

13 hours ago, Em2016 said:

With only your NAA image loaded and a USB DAC that is self powered (i.e. DAC that is not 5V bus powered), can you test if this UP-GWS01 will be powered by a USB3.0 port (900mA)?

Since the power socket is typical barrel connector, I don't have a cable to test with USB port. But I know that some of these boards can draw peak currents when booting up, so USB may not be best choice for powering it and average runtime current draw doesn't tell the whole story. So if it works through USB, it may depend on details of the particular implementation.

I once had interesting problem with another small board in the past where during one stage at OS boot it would automatically trigger reboot and it took me a while to realize that it was due to the PSU...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi @Miska

I am running NAA on the Allo USBridge via DietPi.

Do you have an NAA image for Sparky, so I can by-pass DietPi completely and just use your bootable image with the USBridge?

No, I have images only for few hardware platforms. I try to keep the number of supported platforms small, because each extra one adds substantial maintenance effort (up to date DSD kernel drivers etc).

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Do you run your NAA USB bootable image on that or are you running Windows for NAA?

Also, what advantage/s does this have over the Logic Supply CL100 for NAA?

I use my bootable image, I have never tried Windows on it. Probably not very good for running Windows.

It is somewhat smaller and cheaper than CL100 and consumes less power, and can be powered through typical +5V supply. CL100 is probably better if you want to run Windows.

For NAA type of use, Logic Supply now has also CL200, but I haven't got one yet...

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

I use my bootable image, I have never tried Windows on it. Probably not very good for running Windows.

It is somewhat smaller and cheaper than CL100 and consumes less power, and can be powered through typical +5V supply. CL100 is probably better if you want to run Windows.

For NAA type of use, Logic Supply now has also CL200, but I haven't got one yet...

Nice! I'm not interested in Windows anymore - much prefer your USB bootable image.

I see a different UP Square model on your website for recommended USB bootable NAA.

Will the UP-GWS01 be added under recommended hardware too?

45 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I see a different UP Square model on your website for recommended USB bootable NAA.

Will the UP-GWS01 be added under recommended hardware too?

No, UpSquared is for the HQPlayer Embedded bootable image, and UpBoard is for the NAA image. Squared has Pentium-branded beefier CPU and higher power consumption (and cost), while the original Board has Atom-branded lower power consumption CPU.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

No, UpSquared is for the HQPlayer Embedded bootable image, and UpBoard is for the NAA image. Squared has Pentium-branded beefier CPU and higher power consumption (and cost), while the original Board has Atom-branded lower power consumption CPU.

Ahh yes,  noted.

Thanks.

My LattePanda has been good.

It's onboard ethernet interface stutters at DSD512 though, so that's crap. But my StarTech USB3.0-gigabit ethernet adapter (AX88179 chipset) works flawlessly - I use it in the USB2.0 port and it's fine.

I use the USB3.0 port for the infamous Corning USB3.0 optical cable, which goes to the DAC.

And LattePanda is happily powered by my USB3.0 hub (my Pro iDSD DAC doesn't need 5VBus power, other than for handshake).

But for better reliability and support, best to copy what you're using. I'll get myself the Up Board too, if I get issues with LattePanda.

Been testing kernel 4.18.5 which has the updates relevant to the Thesycon driver ... all this work to see if I can get DSD512 over Wifi AC with the Topping DX7s!

RPi 3 B+ -- can't get working using custom compiled 4.18.5 kernel and networkaudiod arm64

Clearfog Base -- works great using 4.18.5 and networkaudiod armhf

Espressobin (Marvel Armada SoC) -- intended for WiFi AC NAA -- ordered and awaiting ...

I'm giving up mostly on RPi because it would be too much work and I don't love the underlying design -- the Espressobin is a small board designed for network ops ;)

12 hours ago, Em2016 said:

@Miska does the UpBoard have a power on/off button? From Google Images searches I only see 3 sides and don't see a power button on any side.

Yes it has (both UpBoard and UpSquared) a small one you can push through a hole with some thin stick. Especially NAA should be also fine if you just pull the power, because it doesn't really write anything important on the storage.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find the relevant information.

I'm running only PCM on HQPlayer and, as a result, my CPU is running at a very low percentage.

Under these circumstances, would the NAA option offer a sonic advantage over not using NAA?

If the CPU were running at a higher percentage would NAA offer a sonic advantage?

Thanks.

Joel

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Color me impressed.  :ph34r:

Ha! To be clear I purchased this and am testing it for specific technical reasons: it’s the cheapest SBC that has built in dual band WiFi (ac) and does not have a good clock.(and can hit DSD512)  The SQ is surprisingly good given my very limited expectations. What it tells me is that low power eg 5-10W and complete galvanic isolation may be the most important factors (but not enough data to be conclusive) ... in any case

On 9/5/2018 at 9:22 PM, joelha said:

Under these circumstances, would the NAA option offer a sonic advantage over not using NAA?

If the CPU were running at a higher percentage would NAA offer a sonic advantage?

Its not just the CPU utilization but the amount of noise in your PC ... the NAA is a cheap and very effective way to isolate your PC from your DAC.

11 minutes ago, jabbr said:

What it tells me is that low power eg 5-10W and complete galvanic isolation may be the most important factors (but not enough data to be conclusive) ...

Possibly why many using iPhones/iPads as (5GHz ac) Roon endpoints have commented on the decent SQ... best with the device in 'do not disturb' mode of course. Playback is bit perfect. No HQP NAA mode though (yet).

On 8/30/2018 at 6:28 AM, amolan said:

Hi everyone,

Is there any advantage using HQPlayer with Roon if you are not using upsampling ?

Thanks in advance .

Alexandre.

It really comes down to several things.  I guess in the simplest terms, it may not.  But again, it really depends on what your goals are currently and in the future.  HPQ offers a lot of options in so far as filters regardless of unsampling or not. 

However, its fare to say most if not "all" users of HQP use it for the upsampling to DSD and guessing that is what the developer designer it for.  Its free to try and realistically, only you can decide.  Try straight PCM from ROON and then try PCM via HQP.  If you have a DSD capable DAC give that a whirl while you're at it.  Ya never know :)

It may or may not add a complexity to your enviro that you may or may not welcome.  Again there is no real canned answer, imho. 

IMHO, ROON server along with HQP running on a dedicated "server" located in the utility/laundry room > fiber to a NAA appliance > to your DAC is up there with some of the best solutions.

My rig