IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

4 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Did you see the email from Allo about support with USBridge NAA issues?

Yes, but I'm really busy on other things right now. They should test and inspect it on their side. They can ask me if they have something in mind concerning networkaudiod binary.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, but I'm really busy on other things right now. They should test and inspect it on their side. They can ask me if they have something in mind concerning networkaudiod binary.

Ok no problem. Can you reply to them with something like that, to get them in some sort of right direction.

Hi Jussi, it seems that the NAA 'next track' issue on USBridge is fixed after going in a big circle. I was asked to change a file via SSH in May but after now being asked to change back to the original, the NAA and 'next track' issue is fixed.

I see NAA on USBridge is loading CPU at ~30% with DSD512. Is that normal or higher than normal?

813130626_ScreenShot2018-06-20at11_15_09am.thumb.png.2dd93dd5ff0948da04bcc376d6202df1.png

7 hours ago, Em2016 said:

I see NAA on USBridge is loading CPU at ~30% with DSD512. Is that normal or higher than normal?

813130626_ScreenShot2018-06-20at11_15_09am.thumb.png.2dd93dd5ff0948da04bcc376d6202df1.png

Of course depends on the CPU in question. But sounds fairly normal for a small ARM CPU. If that's a quad-core (looks like it), in usual top-figures it means 1/3rd of one core, all cores fully loaded would be 400%.

Load split 23/13 seems reasonable too, the other two cores are mostly idling. For fun, you can check how interrupt affinity looks like with "cat /proc/interrupts" where it shows how interrupts are distributed among the cores. You may have a challenge if all interrupts go to single core.

I am trying out HQPlayer. My intention is to be able to upconvert my files to DSD512. I am looking for ideas as to what NAA I can use to make this happen.

My current set up:

• iMac (running Roon Core)
  • NAA (raspberry Pi3 with Digi+ Hat)
  • Oppo 205 (Roon Ready)

I understand that the Rpi3-Digi Pro combo has limited output. Someone suggested that I consider another NAA like the microRendu, Allo USBridge, etc.

I realize that I might have to purchase a different DAC (like the T+A DAC8 DSD) since the Oppo 205 might not be able to do DSD512).

I read elsewhere in CA that folks are building their our servers that can run Roon Core and HQPlayer and can do all the upconversions.

I would appreciate your comments. Thanks!

The mRendu or Allo would both be good solutions.

As far as a DAC, there are lots of solutions, some of which are quite good, that can do DSD 512 - and some of them are less expensive than the DAC8. 

The DAC 8 so far doesn’t have the USB drivers to work with a Linux source like the mRendu or Allo or Roon Core if you use Roon OS,. 

You can also build your own server or have a prebuilt one delivered. You need to decide if you want to go with the direct to DAC route or via a device like the mRendu or Allo. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Note that T+A DAC8 DSD is a really great DAC, but at the moment DSD512 with it works only on Windows. So those Linux-based NAAs are not suitable for it. So if you want to use DAC8 DSD, I'd recommend to just connect it directly to the computer where HQPlayer is running and that's it (this is what I do).

4 hours ago, firedog said:

The mRendu or Allo would both be good solutions.

As far as a DAC, there are lots of solutions, some of which are quite good, that can do DSD 512 - and some of them are less expensive than the DAC8. 

The DAC 8 so far doesn’t have the USB drivers to work with a Linux source like the mRendu or Allo or Roon Core if you use Roon OS,. 

You can also build your own server or have a prebuilt one delivered. You need to decide if you want to go with the direct to DAC route or via a device like the mRendu or Allo. 

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Note that T+A DAC8 DSD is a really great DAC, but at the moment DSD512 with it works only on Windows. So those Linux-based NAAs are not suitable for it. So if you want to use DAC8 DSD, I'd recommend to just connect it directly to the computer where HQPlayer is running and that's it (this is what I do).

Thanks Miska. Decided to go with a Windows 10 machine based on your response. Thanks!

4 hours ago, nicoff said:

Thanks Miska. Decided to go with a Windows 10 machine based on your response. Thanks!

Let us know how you like your setup with the DAC8 and a Windows machine! Good luck.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

Is networkaudiod expected to pick up a new USB device when it’s plugged in ie hotplug? 

Seems like it does sometimes but other times times needs to be restarted

Linux does not generally support hotplugging of USB hubs, so if you are referring to something like the ISO REGEN you are testing then you should expect to have to restart. (Not the case for Windows or macOS.)

4 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Linux does not generally support hotplugging of USB hubs, so if you are referring to something like the ISO REGEN you are testing then you should expect to have to restart. (Not the case for Windows or macOS.)

Linux itself picks up the hot plugged device

$ lsusb 

will show

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 hours ago, Whitigir said:

Is there a way to use HQPlayer to convert PCM into D512 (offline) and not on the fly ? Thanks 

no -- it's designed to be on the fly.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Oh yes it does, I can hotplug as much as I want. Sometimes for some hardware, either hardware is buggy or Linux kernel driver support for the hardware is buggy and then something may not work. But on x86 xHCI has been working fine for me for a long time...

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Oh yes it does, I can hotplug as much as I want. Sometimes for some hardware, either hardware is buggy or Linux kernel driver support for the hardware is buggy and then something may not work. But on x86 xHCI has been working fine for me for a long time...

Okay, that's great for your set ups!  ? But apparently a lot of Linux-based streamers/renderers do not have a properly working Udev and with those people have not been able to hot-plug our ISO REGEN.

Recognition of the hub (the ISO REGEN) only occurs if it is attached and powered on before the Linux device boots up.  Once the hub is seen people can plug/unplug the DAC on the downstream side all they want and the DAC will be seen.

I'm just reporting based on the support we provide to hundreds of users...  And I am the first to admit that I don't understand Linux much at all! ?

21 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Okay, that's great for your set ups!

CD5F45A7-4561-4676-83E4-939AFDB7C2AB.thumb.jpeg.f282874497e987ff3a533251f136349e.jpeg

Yep, Debian recognizes ...

kernel 4.4.34-v7+ (armhf)

and Roon is streaming through HQPlayer just fine ...

Hmm ... I wonder if lsusb somehow makes sure it works ?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

lsusb shouldn't affect it, it is just walking sysfs... kernel deals with it, and depending on device udev reacts to it.

You can nicely see the kernel activity by running "dmesg | tail -n 15", then unplug and replug and then run it again and you should see kernel messages appearing about the event.

While waiting for my desktop windows computer to arrive, I downloaded HQPlayer for iMac just to try it out with Roon.

While I was able to get it to connect to Roon and play music, I have not been able to connect HQPlayer to my Rpi-Digi Pro combo. I learned that I was missing the NAA file for my dietpi. But even after installing the file, HQPlayer does not find the NAA.

At the moment, HQPlayer while it is still being recognized by Roon endpoint, it will not play.

I believe that the trial version of HQPlayer got corrupted somehow. But if I try to delete from the iMac and download a new trial version, the download will not open.

Any suggestions?

Note: I will be buying a windows version of HQPlayer once my new computer arrives. But meanwhile I would like to play a little with HQPlayer and get familiar with it.

2 minutes ago, matthewyih said:

Hi

Could you provide some detail about how to setup HQPlayer NAA on Rock64?

Which OS are you using? Thank you!

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases/tag/0.6.44

I chose stretch-minimal-rock64-0.6.44-239-arm64.img.xz   for os.

Then

wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/xenial/networkaudiod_3.5.4-38_arm64.deb

sudo dpkg -i networkaudiod_3.5.4-38_arm64.deb

It is much better than Raspberry Pi 3B and better than allo sparky. Please try it!