IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

Hi Miska,

I have my MacMini (only on Wifi) direct cable connected with SOTM-sMS200ultra ethernet port to ethernet port. 

After applying "Internet sharing" on the Mac (with Roon Core and HQP installed) Roon will find SOTM and I can play music.

It took some time to find the SOTM GUI in this setup as it assigns a funny IP address to itself that is different from the one that OSX assign to that ethernet port, however, however, I can change to HQP replay in the SOTM menu BUT HQP Player does not find the SOTM endpoint. 

Do you know a workaround as Roon is working in this setup but HQP isn't?

Thanks

Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

That will be problematic setup because you have two network adapters active (wifi and ethernet). You need to route multicast traffic to the ethernet for it to work. That in turn may cause problems with some services on your wifi (depending what you have there).

Best fix is to disable that direct ethernet connection and connect the SMS200 to your wireless router instead. That way you have only one active network interface on your MacMini.

Hi Miska, thanks.

I guess in this case best way is to use Thunderbolt/Gigabyte to ethernet bridge on the Mini (which will work for sure) and have SOTM still on direct cable connection. In this setup HQP must find a SOTM endpoint or SOTM would be inferior to ultrarendu because these guys can make this setup work with HQP quite easily as they report....

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

I just completely fail to see a point in using ethernet for point-to-point networks. It is designed for network connections, not for point-to-point interfacing.

Well, you are true star here on this forum and I am just a user, maybe give it a try and figure it out yourself?

My interest is, this way I am saving a switch and its SMPS and with an ethernet bridge and a wireless media bridge on battery serving the MacMini there will be no SMPS in the way...

With the direct cable connection already in place SOtM sounds really awesome. Roon finds it regardless IP issues.

Chris

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

MacMini has SMPS inside (pile of switching regulators on the motherboard). And it doesn't really matter anyway. But with extra switch you have couple of extra layers of isolation though.

I have typically three switches on the way from HQPlayer to NAA. Sometimes WiFi too.

I personally don't like the way Roon does the search and it wouldn't work for IPv6 networks anyway because the address space is way too big to scan through.

My Mini has no SMPS inside, I am not this stupid that I talk about SMPS and then have one inside the computer I am trying to ring fence. I have Uptone's MMK installed....

• 1 year later...

After using the search function with no success I am asking:

I have both Audirvana 3.5 and HQP 4 installed on a MacMini, which is connected through LAN. 

I have a Naim NDX Streamer, also connected through LAN.

Audirvana finds my NDX2 as a UNPNP - network streamer / player and I can play music through LAN.

HQPlayer4 doesn't find anything.

Is this correct or intended, because streamers would require to have

HQPlayer NAA installed? 

Thanks, Chris

7 hours ago, Sevenfeet said:

I wouldn’t think so.  The whole point of the NAA software is to make HQPlayer available to a device that isn’t close to the DAC physically.  If the DAC is directly connected to the HQPlayer machine, then NAA is superfluous.

Again, Audirvana finds the Naim player on the network, HQPlayer does not. IS this because HQPlayer can't or because of another reason? There is no USB-connection between PC/Mac and the player of course.

So, I have tried to put M2Tech Hiface USB to SPDIF Converter in between the PC and the Naim. This is working -> HQP through WASAPI but it doesn't sound good and I am doubling up the DACs as the NDX2 has got a DAC built in. 

LAN with only Roon sounds better. LAN with only Audirvana sounds better.

Is there another trick I can use to make HQP detect the Naim NDX2 over LAN?

1. Thanks for taking time to clarify this

2. Soundwise u have one of the - if not the best upsampling player in the world

3. Naim is Hifi highest end and superior to most of the brands mentioned on this entire forum

4. This alone would require u to support their protocol like Damien does and certainly not them - how dare u? Bryston, McIntosh, Accuphase, all of them and potentially others have to make nice for HQPlayer?

Is it so damn difficult to implement UPnP support side by side with your own protocol?

Chris