IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

Current set-up: i5 3.4 gHz quad core 8 gb memory PC w/ HQP Ubuntu > Gustard X20u DAC > upsample to DSD256 w/ -xtr-2s/ DSD5v2 256+fs

Next step: NAA between PC & DAC utilizing existing mid 2011 Mac Mini (noisy option) or ???

To the CuBox owners out there using HQPlayer NAA:

I would use the CuBox with Ubuntu, connect to Plasma tv with HDMI & stream Netflix in addition to audio listening: existing music files & Tidal streaming to come from PC upsampled by HQP.

Is CuBox-i1 1 core 512 mb memory w/ 32 bit 800 Mbps adequate for use as NAA between server & DAC & Netflix streaming? Or is the 1 gb memory w/ 64 bit 800 Mbps worth the extra $$ ? What improvement did you hear from this quiet small computer ?

Any iPad2 remote apps or Win 10 laptop remote apps that you like to use with this type of set-up ?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

• 1 month later...

I have no problem with NAA executable files for Windows & Mac OS-X, but am seriously struggling with Ubuntu 16.04 NAA networkaudiod 3.5.1-35 Xenial AMD64 .deb file. 

How best to access this networkaudiod .deb file (or another recommended Linux version) once I copy it to the Ubuntu desktop ?

I started with GDebi installer & it worked for a few hours @ max DSD256 SDM None, but then I got a "software index is broken" & "the package networkaudiod needs to be reinstalled" . After unsuccessful tries to remedy the situation, I started over with a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04.2 desktop amd64 for Intel Win10 mini PC (dual boot).

Should I type in terminal: sudo dpkg -i networkaudiod_3.5.1-35_amd.64deb like noted here?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/40779/how-do-i-install-a-deb-file-via-the-command-line

Needing recommendations before I move forward. Thanks.

Note: The Windows 10 NAA works, but I can only get DSD128 SDM DoP w/ XMOS driver v3.34 & PCM 384 w/ SDM None for Gustard X20u DAC. I would go this route if I could figure out how to get DSD256.

• 4 months later...

I currently have a dual boot Win 8.1/ Linux Ubuntu 16.04 PC server with a Network Audio Adapter (NAA) mini PC dual boot Win 10/ Ubuntu 16.04 & currently get HQPlayer Apple/Linux upsampled to DSD256 by-way-of Ubuntu 16.04 on both machines.

I wanted to try DSD256 thru Win10 on the NAA side, but I can only get DSD128 & that is strangely DoP. If I understood Miska correctly from prior posts, ethernet cable fed DSD256 data shouldn't care what OS is on NAA side so long as proper networkaudiod application is utilized.

There could be a Windows driver related issue from the DAC-side (special driver required to get DSD256 by i2S thru USB). I am pursuing this angle, but wanted to be sure that I wasn't misinterpreting what is even capable.

1 hour ago, tboooe said:

I do DSD512 through my NAA .  What DAC do you have?  Is DoP option selected in HQP?

Gustard X20u. Max rating DSD128 for DoP.  On the Win 10: Backend set to NAA, SDM Pack tried w/ both selections: DoP (DSD128) & none (24/ 384 hHz PCM only uploads). I set the buffer to 100 ms & am using the less demanding oversampling poly-sinc-shrt-mp-2s. As mentioned, I can get DSD256 w/ Ubuntu @ both ends.

• 2 years later...

Several years ago I operated an NAA Win 10 mini-pc w/ Ubuntu 16.04 music server. Fast forward to now (new house, etc.), with the benefit of additional idle time... I decided to dust off the Atom Z-8350 mini-pc 2gb memory/ 32gb storage & try the NAA route again vs current music server direct DAC connection. So far no luck. I've read this thread extensively & done everything that I can think of (disable Win 10 firewall, ipv4 only, etc.). Any clue to what I am missing as per the attached images? Thanks for any guidance/ help.

NAA diagram.JPG

HQPlayer Desktop settings.JPG

Ubuntu 18.04 wired connection.JPG

Win 10 network connection.JPG

NAA connection failure.JPG

34 minutes ago, Miska said:

Is there a particular reason to run Windows 10 NAA? To me it looks like it would be much better off with my NAA image, especially on that NAA hardware.

Unless you really really have to for some reason use WIndows or macOS on a NAA, don't try to do such. They are massive operating systems with unnecessary graphical user interface and such, something generally not wanted on a NAA:

The mini PC already had Win 10 OS & worked before w/ NAA & Ubuntu 16.04 server, so tried w/ 18.04. OS aside, are my settings OK as outlined above (ie any glaring errors by me)?

I assume that you mean the HQPlayer OS/ NAA ?  I can certainly try it. I tried 18.04 thumb drive for mini-PC but Aptio setup utility didn't recognize thumb drive, possibly because Aptio BIOS is 32 gb for some odd reason.

On 5/23/2020 at 1:45 PM, Miska said:

Yes, the NAA image, or alternatively HQPlayer OS image. No need for any installation or touch the Windows. You just dump the image on USB memory stick and boot it up - and you are done.

Success! Thanks Jussi. I finally grasped a non-OS dependent NAA image naa-411-x64.7z needs to be extracted & image burned to a bootable USB thumb drive. I also successfully booted USB image of HQPlayer OS from hqplayer-embedded file.

Both work like a charm. Any advantage to either option if Ubuntu 18.04 server has HQPlayer 4.5 Desktop? (I installed all 3 options: OS, High DPI, Desktop).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just grabbed an Intel NUC7CJYH w/ 8gb Ram & 120gb SSD off Fleabay today as an upgrade to my existing NAA x5-z8350 mini pc.

Since I currently boot a thumbdrive w/ HQPlayer NAA image naa-411-x64.7z, does it matter if I leave the SSD for Win10 Pro Qobuz streaming & home theater video streaming duties? (versus replacing SSD w/ SXDC card).  Or is the SSD electrical noise still an issue even if not being used while NAA thumb drive is operating?