IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

Hi Miska

I am looking to build a multi-channel DSD system based on Hqplayer over NAA and have only found the DIYINHK XMOS Multichannel PCB that will output multichannel DSD “For the default 192k 8 ch firmware it is dsd64, native and dop for 384k 6 channel firmware it is dsd 128, native and dop “

I have read that running under linux you can get multiple stereo USB receivers hooked to the same USB controller

“you can easily join them to create a single multichannel card in linux alsa”

And

Just a short info about merging sound cards for multichannel playback using the alsa "multi" feature.

Theoretically, USB adaptive cards connected to USB controllers timed by the same clock (i.e. controllers in the same chipset, typically those built into the southbridge) should run synchronously.

I took an 8-channel USB card, a 6 channel one, and created a 14 channel multi device in .soundrc, for details see Asoundrc - AlsaProject . I left the virtual device playing on all 14 channels the whole night (playing /dev/urandom through sox) without a single xrun. IMO the two USB cards run synchronously indeed.”

It looks like it would be possible to run 2 Jsound I2SoverUSB’s at DS256 giving me the 4 channels I require.

Is this something that can be implemented within your NAA linux image? And is this a good idea anyway

Tony

Hi Miska, after some further research and reading, by using 2 Amanero boards in slave mode, both clocked from Twisted Pear's cronus reclocking board, this should overcome the timing and startup issues. Apart from the diyhk multi channel USB board I can't find any other USB board!

whats the situation regarding setting up your Linux image, is this possible.

Hi Miska

The Development board is over my head, I’ll stick to the DIYHK board.

Just one last thought I came across this thread http://bbb.ieero.com/ which got me thinking, using the Beagle Board Black as the NNA via the LAN you could get direct i2s from the BBB to feed the DAC

It has:-

“The BBB has 4 serializers and each one is capable to generate:

- one stereo I2S channel

- one mono DSD channel

- one stereo SPDIF channel

Using the "serconfig" option the different serializers can be enabled

and thus allows to change channel number and its offset.

Examples:

MMMM ... 8ch I2S output or 4ch DSD output (default)

I--- ... 2ch I2S output on mcasp0_axr0 pin

-I-- ... 2ch I2S output on mcasp0_axr1 pin

--I- ... 2ch I2S output on mcasp0_axr2 pin (old default)

---I ... 2ch I2S output on mcasp0_axr3 pin

DD-- ... 2ch DSD output on mcasp0_axr0 and mcasp0_axr1 pins

MM-- ... 4ch I2S output or 2ch DSD output on mcasp0_axr0 and mcasp0_axr1 pins

--MM ... 4ch I2S output or 2ch DSD output on mcasp0_axr2 and mcasp0_axr3 pins”

Isn’t this the best way of supplying the DAC with the DSD signal? (Dual external clocks are available for the BBB via the Twisted Pear Cronus if required) doing away with the USB layer altogether.