IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

The lowest power machine I've been able to reliably get DSD256 on was a I7-3615QM 2.3ghz (4-core MacMini Late 2012). This machine had an SSD, 16gb RAM and 6gb L3. I could only get it when I used polysinc 2s variant filters. I believe Jussi has a similar machine with Windows 8 installed on it that also does DSD256.

I'm now using 2x Xeon E5520 2.26ghz (8-core Mac Pro Early 2009). This machine has a SSD, 28gB RAM and 8gb L3. It also has a CUDA enabled GTX780 GPU. It will do DSD256 with any filter I through at it...I typically use either poly-sinc or closed-form. It won't do DSD512 without stuttering, however. The CUDA card got me from poly-sinc 2s to poly-sinc with DSD256.

The machine I'm using most at DSD256 is a 2x Xeon 2670 2.6ghz (16 core Dell Precision T5600 - 2013). This machine has a SSD 64gB RAM and 40gb L3. It also has a CUDA enable MSI GTX970 GPU). I'm currently running Windows 10 on this machine with Fidelizer 7.0. It will do DSD256 effortlessly including with DSD256 files with DSP. processing with any filter. It will also do DSD512 with polysinc 2s filters.

If you look back a few pages Jussi weighed in on recommended processors for DSD256. For lower cost machines he recommended a i7 6700K that has 16gb of RAM and 8gb L3. The Dell Precision XPS8900 is sub $1K and comes with a CUDA enabled GPU.

Hope that helps,

Robert

Hi there, I started reading this thread to learn how to create and configure HQP and an Intel based NAA. I'm still pretty lost.

At the risk of coming off sound like the "net police", there is an error above. In all the processor specs above, L3 processor cache is listed in gb..... I'm 99.9999999% certain L3 cache sizes are in megabytes on any Intel CPU made in the last 10 years.

I will continue reading and lurking as I put together parts to do a NAA with HQP.

My Gustard X20U DAC will be delivered today. I have a SOtM USB 3 card already.

I have a dual port Intel X520 fiber NIC on the way to share the fiber Ethernet connection with the NAA w/another X520 NIC.

I'm leaning toward an underclocked Intel i3 MATX for the NAA. My player hardware is already a Z170 i7-6700K w/Samsung SM951 SSD and GTX 960 for 4K Video.

Thanks for all your hard work..

• 3 months later...

I currently have a 2 channel listening system that I also use for video.

The PC is Win10 w/ Intel 6700K CPU

I store my audio and video files on a dedicated Win 2012r2 server connected via 10Gbit LC fiber

The audio video PC has a Dell RN219 10GB Ethernet card (Made by Intel)

I have an external DAC that feeds my Krell KRC-3 preamp

I have an iFi Micro USB 3.0 unit in between my PC and DAC

I would like to build a PC (Micro ATX) for use as a Network Audio Adapter

I would like to use the x8 PCIexpress Dell RN219 fiber Ethernet card in the NAA

I now have a dual port X520 to install in the Audio/Theater PC.

I would use the dual port X520 Ethernet card to receive data from my server and output from the 2nd fiber port to the NAA because I am out of 10GB fiber ports on my switch.

I am thinking of an ASRock Q1900M as my NAA motherboard

OKay... I know nothing about an NAA. I have no idea where to begin. I assume the NAA runs something open source.

I need to be able to listen to music and output from Kodi (XBMC) to the NAA.

Can I do this? I mainly use Foobar2000 for audio.

What does the NAA run and where do I get it?

How do I output Kodi to the NAA?

thanks

NAA is a back end buffer for HQPlayer, period. It is not used in any other player.

Yes I understand the 2 go together hand in hand.

What I am trying to understand is the chatter about using HQPlayer as an external player for Kodi (XBMC).

Is this only for streaming services?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/tidal-and-wimp-through-your-software-player-choice-23987/index18.html

• 1 month later...

I finally pulled the trigger on HQPlayer and an NAA

I just finished my NAA computer and will install it and HQPlayer this weekend.

I am wondering if the HQPlayer Guru's could look at my setup and make some suggestions for improvement?

My HQPlayer PC is Windows 10 Pro with the following specs:

Intel 6700K CPU

Windows 10 Pro

ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+ mobo

16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3000 CAS 15

Samsung M.2 951 SSD 128GB OS and apps

EVGA Platinum rated 750Watt P2 PS (Leadtek low ripple design) Japanese caps

Intel X520 dual port 10GBit fiber ( 1 port will connect to the switch the other to the NAA)

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB triple fans

Samsung UN65JS8500 65 inch 4K display

The CPU and Chasis fans have electrical isolators betwen the fans and Mobo

I also run Kodi for HD video content

The NAA specs are:

Windows 10 Pro

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5 w/DAC up USB port

Intel i3-6100 @ 3.7GHz 65Watt (dual core - 4 Threads)

16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 w/ 14-14-14-34 timings

Samsung M.2 951 SSD 128 GB OS + NAA App

EVGA Platinum rated 650watt P2 PS (Leadtek low ripple design) Japanese caps

Power is supplied to the chassis and CPU fans by and external 12/5 volt AC to DC power brick with a Molex connector

Intel 10GBit fiber network card networked to the HQPlayer PC (connection sharing ...I hope)

Graphics are Intel HD 530 onboard CPU graphics

Access will be via remote desktop

An ATX Linear power supply just was not in the budget at build time.

My chain will look something like this

Windows 2012R2 File server->10GBit Copper->Procurve Switch->10GBit fiber-> HQ Player PC->10GBit Fiber->NAA PC->onboard Dac-UP USB3->iFi micro iUSB3.0->Gustard X20u DAC-> Krell KRC-3 Preamp->McIntosh MC352 Amp-> Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostats.

On the NAA PC I am running Fidelizer 6.3 Pro. I have turned off Windows updates and removed all the Windows 10 Apps. I used HDD Tweaker 2.0 to also turn off prefetching, indexing and hibernation. The power profile is set to "Performance" which pretty much means the NAA runs at 3.7GHz 100% of the time. Even so, the heatsink isn't even warm to the touch. The EVGA power supply has a feature that keeps the fan off unless under high load. I have yet to see it come on. I think there are like 38 processes running after boot up.

Thanks

Nice rig! You've got a lot of horsepower on the main pc. Do you intend to upsample to DSD? If so, which one (64,128, 256,512)? With what you have you should have no issue with at least DSD256 which is what I am doing with an I3 3770s CPU and no CUDA offloading.

Yes, the Gustard x20u can do DSD256 which is what I am shooting for. I have been lurking in the forums for a while now and reading. I'm having some issues with letting go of DIY PC hardware :-) Otherwise I probably would have purchased a MicroRendu and called it a day. I just can't seem to resist the urge to build it.

I have also read about others using a DCC in front of the DAC such as one made by Tanly or the Singxer SU-1 and connecting the DAC via an HDMI connector.

Singxer SU-1 USB digital interface with XMOS XU208 CPLD DSD256 DOP - Professional Audio Store - Shenzhenaudio.com

I hope when I fire this thing up tomorrow, the sound improvement will take things to the next level and justify all the expenditures. My fiancee is running out of new "What is wrong with you?" looks. LOL

I used HDD Tweaker 2.0 to also turn off prefetching, indexing and hibernation. The power profile is set to "Performance" which pretty much means the NAA runs at 3.7GHz 100% of the time. Even so, the heatsink isn't even warm to the touch. The EVGA power supply has a feature that keeps the fan off unless under high load. I have yet to see it come on. I think there are like 38 processes running after boot up.

Thanks

I meant to say..... " I used Tweak-SSD 2.0" and not HDD Tweaker..

Tweak-SSD for SSD 'drives' on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 - Totalidea Software

I am wondering if this Combination of HDPlex 100w +160W DC-ATX could be or even "Should be" used to power my NAA PC?

https://www.amazon.com/HDPLEX-Linear-CAPS-19V-Adjustable-Faceplate/dp/B00J40ES8W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1470324195&sr=8-4&keywords=linear+power+5V

https://www.amazon.com/HDPLEX-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V/dp/B00KVWHUXW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51CsquybFTL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR320%2C320_&psc=1&refRID=DT6N77950T6FD8WP9XDP

Basically I would take the 19v output from the 100W linear and input it into the HD-Plex DC-ATX board and not using it's 160w supply.

The only thing I will have connected is a Z170 motherboard w/Intel i3-6100 CPU + motherboard mounted Samsung M.2 SSD

The CPU fan and 1 chassis fan is run from a separate DC power brick.

I finally installed HQPlayer (trial) + NAA in my system a couple days ago.

I must say it has been a learning curve.

What I WANTED to do was install HQPlayer on my heavy lifting HTPC with the i7-6700K + GTX1070

The HTPC machine has a dual port Intel X520 10Gb fiber card.

My NAA also has a 10Gb fiber card connected directly to the HTPC.

The HTPC 2 10GB ports were bridged so that the NAA could connect to the HTPC without me running another fiber under the house to the switch. This works as long as I use a static IP outside the DHCP on my router.

Both computers work on the network and the internet and I can remote desktop to the NAA.

....but HQPlay will not find the NAA when configured this way..... go figure.... the HTPC can ping the NAA and everything but still no go. Instead I used the Intel onboard gigabit 219 on the NAA Z170 mobo. This at least works...

Right now my biggest issue is I cannot get any reasonable volume from this setup. I have to turn up the volume on my preamp to at least 2 O'clock for a soft listening session. Mostly I am between 75 & 100% volume. With Foobar2000 and the DAC I would never need to go more than 12 noon for VERY LOUD!!!

What am I missing????

Also I cannot see the settings in HQPlayer because the font sizes are all wrong and push outside the config box.

thanks

Did you adjust the volume in HQP?

Yes.

I even went to the settings where I set the Vol Min and Vol Max in order not to go into clipping.

The final thing I did last night was to take the NAA out of the equation and connect my DAC back the way it used to be connected (to the HTPC directly).

Volume levels returned to normal when I removed the NAA and using ASIO I am able to upsample to 384k. Using WASAPI I can only do 192k upsampling.

My Gustard X20u does do DSD but I could not get it to work when NAA connected. HQPlayer would stream data but there was no sound from the DAC when NAA connected.

Yes.

I even went to the settings where I set the Vol Min and Vol Max in order not to go into clipping.

The final thing I did last night was to take the NAA out of the equation and connect my DAC back the way it used to be connected (to the HTPC directly).

Volume levels returned to normal when I removed the NAA and using ASIO I am able to upsample to 384k. Using WASAPI I can only do 192k upsampling.

My Gustard X20u does do DSD but I could not get it to work when NAA connected. HQPlayer would stream data but there was no sound from the DAC when NAA connected.

I'm going to try something different. I've been stalking DCC interfaces for a few months now.

I just now ordered a Singxer SU-1 DDC

I will install the Singxer Drivers and let it feed the Gustard X20u

Also while I'm mucking around, I will probably:

1 - Replace the X20 transformer bolts with nylon ones

2 - Add non-metal doughnuts under the transformers

3 - Twist the internal power wires

4 - Possibly make my own X20 power cord and bypass the ON-OFF switch and fuse.

DIY Power Cord

5 - Remove the USB card from the X20

I had looked at the Tanly DCC for a while but for whatever reason waited.

Maybe the NAA PC will have better luck talking to the Singxer SU-1

I'm about 3 days into my 14 day HQPlayer trial so I would like to get this sorted out ASAP.