IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

I’d like to try using an NAA with HQPlayer, and am leaning toward using an sms-100 for this. The problem is that all associated gear will be consolidated in one room (living room) where I don’t have capability to connect the network router to our LAN via Ethernet cable. Thus, there’d be “mini-network” connectivity between the server/router/NAA/DAC – but no hard-wired internet connectivity. Is there a way that I can still get the HQPlayer/NAA setup to work? WiFi is available to the server (MBP) with strong signal (802.11n).

The desired setup would be:

MacBook Pro (early 2011 2.3 GHz core i5, 8GB RAM; music library on external HDD (firewire)) > network router > sms-100 > Berkeley alpha USB > Berkeley alpha DAC

In my setup, all of my music gear is in the basement while my wireless Internet router (Airport Extreme) is on the main floor. I have a second Airport Extreme in the basement (probably an Airport Express would work as well) to extend Internet signal (network).

Everything (2nd Airport Extreme, music server w/ HQP, NAA) is connected via Cat6a cable to an inexpensive Cisco gigabit 5-port switch (SG100D - $60). I also have a NAS (music storage) which is also connected to the Cisco switch. Everything works just fine and can reach Internet if needed.

• 1 month later...
I must correct myself here: I know that Miska still offers Linux NAA for AMD/Intel, etc.--but has people install their own Debian Jessi or Ubuntu Studio, etc. to run it. I was above referring to the heavily stripped-down, text-only disk images that he offered--and still does for CuBox-i--where it just boots and loads the NAA with nothing extraneous and the user does nothing. Such a plug-and-play, optimized appliance that is so easy--when it works. And it sounded much better to me than the Linux/NAA install that I did on the same mini.

In recent discussions with Jussi (Miska) about setting up a fitlet-b with his NAA 3.0 Ubuntu (Trusty) version, Jussi recommended:

"using Ubuntu Server (Trusty) for NAA use precisely because it doesn't default to GUI. The custom kernels I have built work also on the server version. Or if you don't need the custom kernels I've built, you can install "linux-image-lowlatency" and "linux-headers-lowlatency" instead of the server kernel to have a kernel better suited for this purpose.

When the server installer asks what additional software to install, select either nothing or at most just SSH server (for headless remote maintenance).

This keeps the installation slim."

Can you tell me more about what the "custom kernels" Jussi built are for? Under what circumstance might I need or not need them?

Not sure myself about the "custom kernels" but Jussi mentioned DAC's that can handle native (non-DoP) DSD. He did not seem to think that my TPA DAC with Joro's XMOS USB board was one that would work with the "custom kernels" but some DAC's with XMOS USB such ifi and DIYINHK will work.

So in my case, I plan on using "linux-image-lowlatency" and "linux-headers-lowlatency" in place of the server kernel that is once I can get a fitlet-b (first production run already sold out).

I certainly agree that simply downloading the Cubox-i image and copying to a microSD card was extremely easy route to go. My initial impression of the Cubox-i was not favorable but for whatever reason, it now sounds MUCH better. I am now powering it with a LPS and routing the USB output through a Schiit Wyrd unit. Also, my DAC (USB board) is internally powered so did the piece of tape over the power leg trick on the USB cable coming out of the Wyrd.

Bottom line, if the fitlet-b improves SQ, then OH MY!!!

@Superdad,

I am not an Linux expert but I listed the steps on how to get stripped down Ubuntu installed here earlier in the thread. If you need help let me know and maybe I can walk you through the setup over the phone. I am on the East coast so weekend might work best. Also, if your DAC is iDSD, Marantz or one of the other DAC that Miska has listed on his site you will need the kernel complied by Miska. My Lampizator DAC does not require the special kernel compiled so for now I am sticking with the low latency kernel straight from Ubuntu repository.

Thanks for posting this as it looks like a better route than the Ubuntu server. Curious if Miska has any comments on one (Minimal) vs the other (Server).

• 3 weeks later...

2) I can't get NAA to work (Mac 10.10.2). I run the NAA binary, then the desktop player, it see's the dac (default:moon audio 430...), but throws init errors when trying to play music (using SMS100 set to HQ NAA mode). Log looks like it keeps trying to load Airplay, even though I'm selecting the dac in prefs...

A bit puzzled here. All you should have to do is install HQP desktop player on the Mac. No need to install the NAA binary on the Mac. The SMS100 already has the NAA software installed, assuming you are intending to use the SMS100 as the NAA.

You do need to go into Settings panel in the HQP desktop player and select the NAA as well as your DAC.

The JLSounds board I plan to support as alternative is limited to DSD128. So this item is outside of my control.

The JLSounds unit also allows you to (optionally) power both sides (galvanic isolator) of the board with separate power supplies that they also sell. You can cut the 5v from the USB cable since the dirty side is powered internally. This is what I have in my DAC.

Joro & his son are good to deal with as well so glad to here you are considering them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I am currently playing HQ player through a MacBook pro with SSD and an Oyen digital external FW drive for music.

It is a pain and a risk when I have to use the MacBook for work.

I want a dedicated computer for music.

Can you make a suggestion, please?

Do I need something like a CAPS4 machine if I am using a NAA?

I remember seeing that Miska is looking at something as a platform and I looked for on all the pages but could not find it.

I am not a computer guy and was looking for something I would not have to assemble from parts but as long as I can find a case to fit it in so I don't have a mess I guess I can handle it. I was thinking of a mac mini, is it going to be noisy? I understand that the noise on the server affects the NAA.

I ordered a regen, do I still need the NAA? I assume I do. I will have to wait for more reviews.

I was thinking of the SOtM 100 as the NAA because it looks like a simple and already configured, but I don't know if I want to pay that much.

I know these are a lot of questions and that puts us all in the same boat.

Thank you have fun

Bill

I had Small Green Computers build me a CAPS-like computer (i5 quad core, no fan, small SSD) running Linux for about $1000. This serves as my music server running HQP. Assuming you want to do upsampling/conversion (e.g. Redbook CD to DSD), you need something with some guts. One of the options in HQP is Pipeline which takes advantage of a quad core system which is one reason I specified a quad core computer.

I bought a Cubox-i to serve as the NAA because Miska had a ready to go version of the NAA daemon so it was simply a matter of downloading the software from Miska, loading it onto a SD Card, placing the SD Card in the Cubox-i, plug in the Cubox-i and I was all set. Pretty simple setup.

I don't have a REGEN (yet) but use a similar device (Schiit Wyrd) so yes you can use your REGEN in conjunction with the NAA. This is probably especially true for the Cubox-i which has a suspect USB output from what I understand.

Obviously, there are a number of other configurations but mine is pretty simple to execute if you are not a computer expert. And don't let Linux scare you, it is pretty easy to deal with.

• 1 month later...
Hi, I just tried the HQ player on my Win 8.1 desktop (stock soundcard/inexpensive pc speakers) and am impressed! I'd love to see how it works with the Oppo 105 I have in my main system downstairs. (I run a basic A/V server using O-share via ethernet.) Is there a way to make the Oppo connect to NAA via ethernet? or do I need another device? I have a Raspberry Pi 2 on hand.

I installed NAA on my pc but Oppo network does not see it. What would be a good way to proceed?

I have read through this and the HQ player threads. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated!

thank you, Stephanie

Assuming you are using the Oppo as a DAC, then you connect the NAA to the Oppo via USB, not Ethernet.

In general, the connections are:

Music Server computer running HQ Player Desktop > USB > DAC

or

Music Server computer running HQ Player Desktop > Ethernet > Switch (router) > Ethernet > NAA computer running Network Audio Daemon > USB > DAC

If you are just getting into HQ Player, I would suggest skipping the NAA piece to start with until you get comfortable with everything. You can always add the NAA piece later. The easiest approach to including a NAA is via a Cubox-i for which Miska provides a Linux-based image that is ready to go. If you decide to go that route, I have instructions on how to set-up a Cubox-i, very easy process.

Thank you for the reply. Can you run HQ Player on a windows machine and connect to NAA on a Cubox-i?

I would need the 2 system setup because I don't have a powerful quiet portable machine to place near my stereo at this time.

best, Stephanie

I believe you mix & match OS between player & NAA.

Please note that the Cubox-i is only one option. You might be able to use your R-pi. Just depends on how much experience you have with the various computer OS's.

• 3 weeks later...
is it possible to use UDOO as NAA? the UDOO use Armhf system, is there any previous version of software suitable for this system?

At a first glance, the UDOO looks similar to the Cubox-i. If that is so, then it will probably work as a NAA.

Miska (HQP developer) offers a Linux image for the Cubox-i that might work for the UDOO.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/installation-hq-player-naa-cubox-i-24863/

• 2 weeks later...

The HQP Desktop is set up to recognize multiple NAA units so that you can have different systems (NAA) being fed from a central server.

As such, under "Tools > Network naming ..." menu on the HQP Desktop, you can specify the IP address of the NAA you want to use.

To get the IP address of the NAA, you can use the command "ip addr show" in the Terminal window.

There are other methods of finding IP address:

4 Ways to Check Ip Address in Linux - wikiHow

I thought it auto-discovered the NAA's on the network. The IP should be the same as when the same computer is booted from Windows. There's nothing populating in the "network naming" window. For some reason it's not establishing connection.

Did you confirm that the IP address is the same? That should be easy to do.

Also, I believe you can manually enter the IP address in the "network naming" window to force the HPQ Desktop to recognize the NAA.

• 2 months later...
wow that cubox is tiny!

The NAA program is pretty lightweight correct?

would you assume much/if any difference sound-wise between the different components you mentioned?

I wrote up an installation procedure for the Cubox-i if you are interested. Easy peazy & sounds great in my system when powered by a LPS.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/installation-hq-player-naa-cubox-i-24863/

• 2 months later...
I just uploaded new full SD-card NAA images for BeagleBone, CuBox-i and RaspberryPi. They are on a slow server, so be patient and don't rush... :).

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Do these new images support native DSD (non-DoP) as is?

Another question is do we need to install the "Kernel and libasound2 packages for native DSD support" on the desktop version of HQP as well?

• 4 weeks later...
Can someone tell me how big ( how many GB ) the HQ Player file is. Also I think I read that you can use the program on more than one computer, is that right?

The HQP program is small, certainly not GB size, perhaps a few MB's at most.

I think what you are referring to for "more than one computer" is a server & NAA setup. The HQP server is usually a decently configured PC (Win, Mac, Linux) that does all the heavy lifting (i.e. upsampling, conversions PCM > DSD) and can send the signal out to a host of NAA units that are very small PC's like a Cubox-i.

• 1 month later...
Jussi & Linux users,

Any chance of an updated Linux NAA images coming soon? My Cubox-i desires native dsd support for a number of popular DACs that have been added recently.

If not can someone tell me how I update my Cubox-i (currently with Jussi's image) with the latest from lintweaker? The Cubox-i is connected to my network, but is running headless. Sorry, not a linux power user.

Thanks!

Robert

Miska's latest Cubox-i image supports native DSD (non-DoP). I have been using it for several months now with my TPA Buffalo III-SE DAC which has the JLSounds USB board which was added to lintweaker on March 28, 2015.

If you need instructions on how to install latest image:

Right, but lintweaker's updates are coming constantly and I need updates that were made in January after Jussi's last released build. We're also looking forward to getting the most recent 3.20 NAA incorporated into the builds.

Robert

Ok, understand now.

Getting away from having to use DoP was a big plus in my case. So, hopefully you can get this sorted out soon.

A friend of mine followed this procedure.

He stitched the images together, put it on a SD card and launched it in Cubox. At the end of startup, however, there is a black screen and he does not know how to proceed.

I had the same issue. In talking to Jussi, he said you probably have to login remotely using ssh(?). I never took the time to learn how to do this.

For me, it is easiest to use Jussi's NAA images for the specific computers.

I had the same issue. In talking to Jussi, he said you probably have to login remotely using ssh(?).

My apologies for putting out the erroneous information above. It was not ssh but that the CuBox has serial console on the microUSB connector that Jussi mentioned above. I knew it was something well beyond my capabilities.

• 2 months later...
Interested in feedback as well since I'm experiencing the same thing. The cubox is unusable at this point.

I picked up a cubox-i4pro for use as an NAA mainly as a test before getting a sonic orbitor or microR. I'm using the latest cubox NAA image and latest HQPlayer on a high end win10 wkst. Network is fiber (switch to media converter to cubox) but tried cat6 and no difference.

I have been using a mini as the NAA for sometime without any issues whatsoever. I have tried all the HQPlayers buffer settings to no avail.

DAC is a Lampi L7, upsampling PCM to DSD. I get the same results playing native PCM

I hope there is someone that can lend assistance.

Sent from CA app

I recently saw on one of the threads something about how Win10 does networking differently and how to disable that feature. This discussion stemmed from a similar problem you are seeing and once the Win10 feature was disabled the problem was reportedly solved.

I have been searching the various threads and have yet to find where this is located. Maybe someone else remembers this and can point to the information.

• 1 month later...
Hi -- I am currently using the microrendu in its DLNA/MPD mode with minimserver running on a Windows 10 computer and Bubbleupnp as a remote control. Does anyone here have an opinion on whether using HQPlayer with the microrendu would be any better in terms of sound quality? I have no interest in upsampling or anything fancy --- I just play music at native sampling rates. Thanks. -- David

The primary reason for using HQP is for conversion (PCM > DSD) and/or upsampling so you would be wasting your money for the most part on HQP if you do not plan to use these features.

Have you tried HQP to convert and/or upsample? Amazing stuff.