IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

Hmmm...I considered re-importing but thought I'd see if there was a faster way....it's about 10K files (I have a large library).

Thanks Ted...I'll go that route if all else fails.

And nice videos by the way...well done ;)

Dave

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

Thx

You have 10k files that are wrong (labeled with \\Synology/Music")? I have 60K files (44k lossless and above) and a re-import of all of them takes very little time, since all its doing is an actual re-import of the broken ones.

Ahhh....for some reason I thought it would be time consuming nonetheless. Thanks...I'll do it that way then.

Kind regards,

Dave

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

Thanks a LOT Ted for the videos! Very instructive, especially the tagging video.

One thing I haven't succeed yet is to show my albums by year on JRemote. It is set that way on JRiver but shows only alphabetically on JRemote.

I did try to customize my view as Year - Album but It doesn't work/show as such in JRemote.

Any ideas why? I probably am missing a step somewhere.

Thanks!

EDIT: Just to be clear, I want my albums within the Artists folders to show by year on JRemote (as I set It on JRiver already). Not the albums folder on JRiver.

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

I posted this on interact but I thought answers to it could be of value to others here.

Usability Question

In my library let's say I have 2 Bonnie Raitt albums. When I click her icon it then shows the cover art for each of the albums. If I double tap on one of the albums the next screen shows an icon for each song, but it doesn't show the song title. I think it is showing the bit rate. How do I get it to show the song titles? Is this an issue with how I originally set up the view in MC?

Also, how do people play the entire album? Do you press and hold the album cover icon and press "play now"?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

My MAC is on the shelf again (but bringin it out tonight to run another DAC in break-in mode (aka no amp). If the file supports tagging (AIF, Apple Lossless) then yes the tags will carry over because they are file-based (assuming you have "update tags when info changes:. You can tunr that off so the JRiver library only stores the tags, but I see no reason for that, frankly. However, if the files are WAV we might have an issue (nver tried it, JRiver to iTunes that is) cuz WAV inherently does not support imbedded tagging. Could you (or someone on JRiver OSX currently) try one file to test, and report back? I'm assuming you are prepared to dump iTunes when we confirm JRiver OSX will do it all? Managing multiple libraries is PITA.

All my files are AIFF. I tried a test file changing the Album title on one file in JRMC. When I closed JRiver and opened iTunes the changed showed in iTunes. I am aimed in the direction of letting iTunes go but it's hard to part with an old friend. I need to learn more about JRiver and how to use it. I want to become as comfortable with it as I have been with iTunes. Right now the only time I listen to iTunes is for two Smart Playlists that are based on play counts in iTunes that don't transfer to iTunes. Otherwise I am using iTunes with XLD to rip and edit metadata.

Question comes to kind. If I can use XLD to rip and edit basic metadata and direct it to the iTunes library I wonder if I can direct it to JRMC instead? I have to take a look at that.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Question comes to kind. If I can use XLD to rip and edit basic metadata and direct it to the iTunes library I wonder if I can direct it to JRMC instead? I have to take a look at that.

Yes you can, I use XLD for my ripping and have it pointed to the file location of my JRMC Library. JRMC then auto imports the new albums into it's library.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

My comment a few moments ago about needing to use iTunes with XLD to rip and edit files doesn't hold water. It doesn't matter as long as I learn to properly tag in JRiver because XLD is simply following the follow path I directed it to which is the same file path I directed iTunes and JRiver to. So if I use XLD to add art, do basic tags and rip the files it will show up in JRiver immediately with Auto Import set.

I may may be closer than I think to a complete switch. Now only if I can figure out how to transfer play counts from iTunes to JRiver and create those two Smart Lists I use so frequently.

Frank Zappa
Yes you can, I use XLD for my ripping and have it pointed to the file location of my JRMC Library. JRMC then auto imports the new albums into it's library.

Barr

Thank you. You posted the answer that I also realized at about the same moment.

Frank Zappa

Hey Ted, thank you vey much for the videos, it was of great help.

I had a look at the expression languages wiki but couldn't use anything for what I'd like, so maybe can you tell me how do you remove a text from the album title? In the second video you explained how to add 24-88 text next to the title to differentiate from readbook to 24 bit, but what about remove it from every album title on the library, is it even possible?

Hey Ted, thank you vey much for the videos, it was of great help.

I had a look at the expression languages wiki but couldn't use anything for what I'd like, so maybe can you tell me how do you remove a text from the album title? In the second video you explained how to add 24-88 text next to the title to differentiate from readbook to 24 bit, but what about remove it from every album title on the library, is it even possible?

Pasted below, but easier to search this page for "remove". Yes, it's possible. In this case, you would replace "filename" with "album". IIRC, the beauty of this is you could paste the correct expressions across infinite files, just as long is they all need the trim you set. It works very well.

Expression Language - JRiverWiki

Right(…): Retrieves a specified number of characters from the right of a string

Description right(string, quantity)

The Right() function retrieves the specified quantity of characters from the right of the string. If quantity is larger than the length of string, the original string is returned.

Examples right([filename], 3)

Returns the last three characters from the filename (typically this is the file's suffix).

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

I tried to edit Tags while using JRemote on my iPad. I could make the edits but when I went to Save an error message popped up advising that edit failed and to be sure Authentication was turned on.

In JRiver under Options>Media Network is Authentication. When I check Authentication a pop up requesting username and password appears. What username and password is this? Is this the password for my Mac Mini? I don't recall creating a username and password for JRiver. Is this asking me to create a username and password?

A little advice is much appreciated.

Frank Zappa

You set it on your server. It's in options under media where you turn on dlna etc.

I tried to edit Tags while using JRemote on my iPad. I could make the edits but when I went to Save an error message popped up advising that edit failed and to be sure Authentication was turned on.

In JRiver under Options>Media Network is Authentication. When I check Authentication a pop up requesting username and password appears. What username and password is this? Is this the password for my Mac Mini? I don't recall creating a username and password for JRiver. Is this asking me to create a username and password?

A little advice is much appreciated.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

You set it on your server. It's in options under media where you turn on dlna etc.

I do know where to turn Authentication on my problem is not under standing what username/password they are requesting.

Frank Zappa

I'm on the road or I would post a screenshot.

If you are using JRemote then you are running JRMC on a PC or Mac (and Linux now?).

You set your own user/pass in your j river program, later you enter it into jremote.

If you poke around jriver on your computer it is where you turned on your dlna server. Options>media

Did someone else set up jremote for u?

If you are using JRemote then you are running JRMC on a PC or Mac (and Linux now?).

You set your own user/pass in your j river program, later you enter it into jremote.

If you poke around jriver on your computer it is where you turned on your dlna server. Options>media

No, I set up JRemote myself. I can see the Authentication Selection but don't know what username and password is being requested.

Frank Zappa

Mwheelerk,

Under Media network -> authentication you should get a pop up menu with a username and password request. THAT is where you create them...it's not asking for a previous one, it's asking you to create one. Once you do the username will show in the authentication radio button, and the password will show as all *****.

Also I saw you had tag question on Interact. I go over quite a few of them on the part two video. In the tag action window (on the left side of the screen) there is a pulldown asking if you want to view default tags, tags witrh values, current view tags, all tags, etc.

Also, to view various fields simple hover over one of them in your playlist window header (Column) and choose what you want viewed.

Thank you. I think I got it. It wanted me to create a username/password and it appears Authentication is active.

Frank Zappa
Mwheelerk,

Under Media network -> authentication you should get a pop up menu with a username and password request. THAT is where you create them...it's not asking for a previous one, it's asking you to create one. Once you do the username will show in the authentication radio button, and the password will show as all *****.

Also I saw you had tag question on Interact. I go over quite a few of them on the part two video. In the tag action window (on the left side of the screen) there is a pulldown asking if you want to view default tags, tags witrh values, current view tags, all tags, etc.

Also, to view various fields simple hover over one of them in your playlist window header (Column) and choose what you want viewed.

And thank you also.

Frank Zappa

Can play counts from iTunes be imported/transferred to JRMC? I use two playlists both based on zero play counts one for overall library and the other based on the last 90 days of library additions. So with one of the rules set to zero plays I listen to these playlists and it eliminates titles as played. I have tried to ensure I listen to everything in my library.

The 90 day list is not quite as important because once I am 90+ days out from importing my library (about 60 to go) I can create that same list on JRMC. The other however is not that easy. One the Smart Playlist in iTunes with zero plays there are about 2,000 songs of 19,000. Creating that Smartlist in JMRC and I have 18,500 songs. I would like this convenience if possible but can live without it.

Frank Zappa
Still a "go to" thread...thank you EVERYONE who contributed!

Best,

John

Absolutely. Even now. Even for a total Newbie. You guys all rock :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Here’s a helpful Jriver configuration for those who play both stereo and multi-channel music files. Separate zones can be set up in JRMC to send specified files to different outputs. Zone setup and configuration is found under the “Player” menu in JRMC 18.

I have a “Stereo” zone that sends all mono or stereo files to my Benchmark DAC2 via USB. A second zone called “Multi-Channel” sends all files with more than two channels to my Oppo BDP103 via HDMI.

I configured the ZoneSwitch feature to change zones based on the number of channels in the file. Now Jriver’s output automatically switches to AISO USB for stereo tracks and WASAPI Event HDMI for multi-channel tracks. All I have to do is switch to the right input on the DAC2 (USB for stereo, Analog 1/HT Bypass for multi-channel) to hear the file.

To complement stereo/multi-channel playback zones, I created views in Jriver and Jremote (as documented by Ted B) that categorize stereo and multi-channel files and formats for easy album retrieval: Stereo All, Stereo DSD, Stereo PCM 24, Stereo PCM 16, Multi-Channel All, Multi-Channel DSD, Multi-Channel PCM.

This is a big improvement over my previous configuration that used Jriver for stereo and Foobar for multi-channel. I now get the advantage of Jremote control over all my files. And Jriver has DSP options that make the regrettable but necessary DSD to PCM conversion for multi-channel files sound more transparent.

Russ

This is Awesome Russ..

What "Rule" in the customise view do you use to separate PCM from DSD?

Edit. I figured it out.. Bit Depth = 1 (for DSD) .. Cheers

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Is there a quick "refresh" the media network button?