IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

I know that. I don't want my MC18 to show missing locations like the removed HDD mentioned above.

They have been imported into the database so they will display. You could look at a way to filter them but I'm not sure it's possible ...actually, you simply add something like "Filename (path) does not contain x" - x being the highest level folder with the files you were trying to exclude.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Update: Although Jriver automatically changes zones (via ZoneSwitch) when I move between stereo and multi-channel files, Jremote does not. Before I figured this out, I was confused as to why Jremote was getting out of sync with the tracks playing in Jriver.

So when Jriver switches zones, the new zone must be selected in Jremote. In Jremote the "double window" icon to the left of the play/pause buttons opens a list of zones. Selecting the zone (stereo or multi-channel) that corresponds with the file playing in Jriver gets Jremote back in sync.

I also found that each Jriver zone shows up as a "media player" on all my other DLNA devices. I haven't taken the time to figure out the whole UPnP/DLNA thing to know what to do with this, but it's there.

Russ

Have you checked the Jremote settings to see if the Zone behavior setting helps with this?

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

I know that. I don't want my MC18 to show missing locations like the removed HDD mentioned above.

Sorry I re-read your post. Guessing you don't want these at all. Multiple ways to locate a delete from library. If broken links aren't being removed check the link Jim posted. Ivecseen this problem and could be the settings for protecting network files.

Access YADB, Gracenote, and FreeDB from JRMC

JRMC offers access to their YADB meta-data database. I don't use AccurateRip and rip in JRMC w/ SecureMode.

When a disc's meta-data is not found use, Audiograbber and/or Player to access alternative databases from within JRMC.

Audiograbber

Access to FreeDB. Click the FreeDB button and if the CD is found, the meta-data populates over the empty tracknames. In JRMC, simply update from CDplayer.ini.

• ONSjloGl.jpg

• mATUVKas.jpg

Player

Access to CDDB. First you must Register to Gracenote. Then you can use Ctrl+G or menu to retrieve disc info. Then you must Export .ini. In JRMC, update from CDplayer.ini *These aren't in order below but you can figure it out.

• 7c8q7ull.jpg
  • 2eaOvTfl.jpg
  • f9nUSjDl.jpg
  • spQEOsel.jpg

• mATUVKas.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi Ted,

Right-click a file and Choose Locate>On Disk External.

Most likely they are in a separate folders, but more likely is that the Album Artist field is reading (Multiple Artists) because at least one Artist field says something like BB King & JJ Cale.

Add the Album Artist field and I'll bet that's what it shows.

The Artist field is great for preserving the "duets", but also various incarnations or misspelling that often occur on records.

I'll write a post about how I use a Custom Artist field to collate certain performers out of the Multiple Artists tile and in a cleaner Artist view (as you all know a default Artist tile scheme will look CRAZY).

Thorough post, and they can be useful. But I personally find multiple Libraries are cumbersome imo.

JRMC19 now has Users feature which is much more efficient.

I have an Admin user, Audio user, and Kids.

You simply enter tags in User field. Then you can add to Upper Toolbar, User option, for quick switching.

With almost 500K files (Audio,Video, Images) I find cutting out all Images and Video makes JRMC a little snappier when user Audio User.

JRMC Libraries

When JRMC is first setup it will by default, create a Library called Main Library. It will put this library in a place of it's choosing that may not be where the user might prefer.

This is the default behavior to auto import everything into one large Library ... but we can do better than this.

The Library file is a database of information fields pertaining to the collection of music that the user has, regardless of where that music might be located.

The Library file has nothing to do with your collection of music other than to collect and store file information and to direct the player to play a file from a certain location.

The users collection of music files can be located anywhere that provides persistent availability. It is better that the user understands where the music files are located choosing to build a collection that the user controls. Letting applications utilize default locations may be easier, but will lead to confusion about where everything actually is.

In JRMC using the Library Manager one can do many chores associated with maintaining the various Libraries a user may wish to have. I keep 6 different Libraries current on my music player PC. We can also assert that we want our Libraries located in a particular place, I use a folder in the root of the music files drive called JRMC_LIBRARY. In that folder I make more folders, one for each of the Libraries that I wish to use.

When establishing a Library, in JRMC select Library/Library Manager/Add Library ... give it a nice name, like LOCAL_CLASSICAL or something that you like. Then browse to the folder that you previously created that will have the same name as the Library being made and select it, then say OK. Now again select Library then Import and browse to the folders where the music for this library is located. JRMC will find all the files under say \CLASSICAL in your music files folder and import them into your LOCAL_CLASSICAL Library.

Some forethought in arranging and naming the folder structure for your music files will aid in this process.

You can make as many Libraries as you like be they based on Artists, or Music Types or whatever seems appropriate.

As a PC user I use dbPowerAmp and find it to be excellent at ripping, editing and converting files. Tag editing can be done on groups, I choose to remove all the extra tagging information that I don't want. I keep it simple and this has helped me get all my files displaying correctly in JRMC. Control over the default ripping/tagging of files helps.

After several Libraries exist, it is easy to switch from Library to Library quickly electing a genre change, or whatever.

When I need to edit a group of files from a new ripped disk, I do all the editing and when I am finished and the files are where they will live, I load JRMC and the Library where these tunes will be accessed from. Then I simply import those new files (information) into the Library and that's about it.

If need be, a Library can be loaded, then cleared of information, then reloaded(imported) to form a newer Library list. This is useful if a number of disks are added at the same time.

If you are trying JRMC19 but already have JRMC18 Libraries, version 19 can use those libraries also. Setup as mentioned above then point at your Library folders and 19 will simply look like they do in 18.

There are numerous other Library management tools, but these are the ones needed to get setup.

Topic: NEW: User accounts

Compared to Multiple Libraries

It has always been possible to maintain separate libraries for different users or purposes.

However, this has several significant drawbacks:

* There are multiple copies of the metadata and keeping each library in sync is challenging

* A tool like television recording needs to know about _all_ recordings for all users to properly handle conflicts and record everything (you can't not record a kid's show because you happen to be watching a parent's show)

* Multiple libraries complicates backup and restore since there's no single set of data

* A library server will only serve a single library

Totally my fault, I visually blended the two posts and meant to quote the OP.

Not sure why you are telling me this. My post was a solution to a compilation question directly above my post, not a problem I needed solving. ??

I think you can turn on Authentication for Library Server.

Library Server has always amazed me. You can actually burn a CD over WAN. At least you used to be able to in MC17.

Neat little thing you can do...

If you are running JRemote with JRMC and you have a bluetooth enabled stereo system in your vehicle, you can play your entire library, streamed at CD quality, to your vehicle system.

Open port 52199 from the internet to your server. You do this in your firewall, and with some firewalls you can limit the access, always a good idea.

Setup a new "server" in JRemote, pointing to the outside address of your firewall. This is the address visible to your firewall.

Connect to your JRMC server

Set the output zone to "this device" and connect the device to your vehicle's stereo system.

Play away, anywhere, anytime, with CD quality and your full library available to you!

-Paul

*Caveat- you may incur network costs if you are not on an unlimited service plan.

*Caveat two - someone may try to access your server. In over six months of doing this, I have not seen anyone able to to break through and do any damage, but that is with my firewall. I think it is safe but YMMV!

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to the JRMC Import tool...

In Tools>Options>General - Enable Shell Integration and in Windows Explorer you can right-click files/folders to "manually" import:

• L5LocdFl.jpg
  • nIkTplGl.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Ted, thank you vey much for the videos, it was of great help.

I had a look at the expression languages wiki but couldn't use anything for what I'd like, so maybe can you tell me how do you remove a text from the album title? In the second video you explained how to add 24-88 text next to the title to differentiate from readbook to 24 bit, but what about remove it from every album title on the library, is it even possible?

Pasted below, but easier to search this page for "remove". Yes, it's possible. In this case, you would replace "filename" with "album". IIRC, the beauty of this is you could paste the correct expressions across infinite files, just as long is they all need the trim you set. It works very well.

Expression Language - JRiverWiki

Right(…): Retrieves a specified number of characters from the right of a string

Description right(string, quantity)

The Right() function retrieves the specified quantity of characters from the right of the string. If quantity is larger than the length of string, the original string is returned.

Examples right([filename], 3)

Returns the last three characters from the filename (typically this is the file's suffix).

You set it on your server. It's in options under media where you turn on dlna etc.

I tried to edit Tags while using JRemote on my iPad. I could make the edits but when I went to Save an error message popped up advising that edit failed and to be sure Authentication was turned on.

In JRiver under Options>Media Network is Authentication. When I check Authentication a pop up requesting username and password appears. What username and password is this? Is this the password for my Mac Mini? I don't recall creating a username and password for JRiver. Is this asking me to create a username and password?

A little advice is much appreciated.

I'm on the road or I would post a screenshot.

If you are using JRemote then you are running JRMC on a PC or Mac (and Linux now?).

You set your own user/pass in your j river program, later you enter it into jremote.

If you poke around jriver on your computer it is where you turned on your dlna server. Options>media

Did someone else set up jremote for u?

• 2 weeks later...
This is Awesome Russ..

What "Rule" in the customise view do you use to separate PCM from DSD?

Edit. I figured it out.. Bit Depth = 1 (for DSD) .. Cheers

You can also use File Type = DFF, DSF, or SACD (if you have SACD ISO)

You would need to restart JRemote, same as when you make view changes in JRMC.

I would avoid, at all costs, adding extra information into standard tag fields. Album should contain the album name. If you start adding clarifying information, things like Music Brainz, Discogs, and J. River's own automated Internet Cover Art search will fail to properly identify your albums and fail (well Music Brainz won't but it will try to correct it).

The power of JRMC is such that you want to control your metadata, but eliminating the use of powerful tagging tools is shooting oneself in the foot. You can choose to display any field upon playback, or set any field as a commonly displayed one for browsing in any view scheme.

You could make a custom tag field named "Abum Info", or use the existing Comments field. Or you could add this info to another field you feel is a good fit.

You could also simply use JRMC Copy Field function to copy Sample Rate field into Album Info field; I just use Sample Rate to assist differentiation.

Also, if the actual filenames contained "MoFi" or "24-192", you could have JRMC to use that information by adding "Filename (Path) contains x", and apply it to view schemes. I do this to scoop up a lot of XRCD or MoFi that might be buried in my hard drives in random locations.

my .02

Great comments. A lot to think about since I have a lot to tage properly.

After making the tagging changes how long should it take for it to show up in MC or jremote? At times I find that it isn't immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure Ted can give you details but you can define view schemes and sub schemes for display of specific groups of files. To replicate the folders on disk you might try a rule such as Filename (path) contains x.

You could also create a view special rule to only show SACD in a scheme if a dup exists.

Ted_B,

Thank you for your detailed videos and the help you've given throughout this thread!

I have three questions:

1. Currently when JRiver plays a SACD ISO that contains SACD and FLAC files, the SACD version of a track will play, then the FLAC version of the same track will play next.

What is the best way to get the program to only play the SACD versions within my SACD ISO files?

2. I have my music files separated in folders named "DSD", "SACD ISOS", "24-bit", "Flac", "WAV", "JAZZ", "Classical", et al, with subfolders containing the artist and album names. I absolutely love navigating through my library via these folders, or "Folder View" as other programs call it. I know we can go into the "Files" sidebar view and maneuver to specific folders, but is there a way to get my specific folders to show on the "Audio" sidebar, along with "Albums", "Genre", "Artists", etc?

3. Do you prefer upsampling your DSD 64 or PSM music to DSD128?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
All my music is stored on a Synology NAS, and I also have a drive letter "M:" mapped to the main shared folder on the NAS. I've noticed that roughly half of the files in my library have their file names start with "\\SYNOLOGY\Music\....." while the rest have "M:\...". I guess that what file gets what file naming path is/was dependent on how I imported my music. Sometimes I import a single folder that I browse to in JRiver, sometimes I use autoimport, and often I right-click in Windows explorer to add to Media Center. I'd prefer to use the "M:" filename path as it's shorter and more flexible.

So I'd like to edit all the files that start with "\\SYNOLOGY\Music" in the filename tag to "M:" but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this. At first I thought it would be as simple as changing the tag using "=Replace([Filename],/#\\SYNOLOGY\Music#/,/#M:#/)" but it turns out that JRiver wants to move/copy the files and coughs up a furball telling me that the file already exists at that location. Yes, of course it does!

The Library Tools->Find and Replace function has the same effect.

I just want to edit the tag, not actually do any file moving/copying. Can anyone suggest a way to accomplish this?

You may have unknowingly imported via the network location via Windows Explorer. It's easy to do, and it happens to me all the time.

You can use find and replace but make sure you select right option from the top drop-down (Update Database):

• A42xcXOl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's a tough project. I have been using Jaikoz to pull from Discogs and Musicbrainz. I am never quite satisfied though. I just use about 12 hyper-generic Genres and trying to pull genre into style/sub-genre.

Is anyone using, or found a way to do mass tagging using some sort of database, specifically for genre.

Over the years my music collection has grown, and the larger it gets the less motivated I am to properly tag anything, which then becomes a pain while trying to browse.

My issue with genre tagging is that I don't think any one piece of music has a single genre, they all have sub genres or styles and I like being able to browse my music that way. I have found the allmusic database is a great resource for genre/subgenre/style.

I started tagging my collection using the allmusic database and it works great, I was using the genre tag in the following way

I'll use a made up album as an example

Genre Tag

Jazz/Jazz Instrument/Piano Jazz; Jazz/Contemporary Jazz; Jazz/Free-Jazz/Avant-Garde Jazz; Blues/Modern Electric Blues

Using a tag as such, when I browse my library via genre which is 98% of the time, this specific album would come up in Jazz, the sub genres of jazz such as jazz instrument and piano jazz and also contemporary jazz, free-jazz and even in this odd instance blues.

I find it gives a ton of flexibility for the genres and the all music database is darn accurate in my opinion, but as you can see i'd probably spend the rest of my life genre tagging my library.

So, has anyone found a godd resource/database/method to help accurately expedite the process of genre tagging? Any and all help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

• 6 months later...

Or you can create View Schemes based on Sample Rate and use other modifiers, then add to JRemote as Ted has done with "DSD" or "24bit"...

My theory is that you would avoid loading an entire library of files into JRemote, then filtering by Sample Rate. Start first the filtering on the server, and lighten the load sent to JRemote. Only 20K of my 300,000K are 48kHz+, I see a performance increase in JRemote.

Ted . . . . Thanks for showing me the light:)

Works!

Applause . . . Applause . . . The crowd goes wild . . . :)

• 1 month later...

FWIW, Matt has stated explicitly on Interact to disable memory playback when using NAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk