IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

tools -> options -> audio -> track change

Fantastic! I owe you one my friend. That was seriously annoying. Nice program though, and a keeper. I just bought the full version. Now I'll subscribe to this thread as I suspect I'm going to need it. I've never seen so many options in a music player. I've no idea if I've even set it up properly as I did it in a hurry. I got my first proper headphone amp delivered today and I needed to install something quick. It sounds sublime through my headphones!

again, many thanks.

What really drew me to JRiver was the ability to remotely control it. My Mac is connected to the TV and without a remote function I was looking at buying a separate monitor. I have to say the sound I'm hearing right now is the best I've ever heard. Not really down to JRiver obviously but it ain't hurting.

Brilliant thread. I've already employed a good few of the tips here. I wonder if someone can help me with something though. For the life of me I can't quite get it to work in practise as it does in my head.

I have all my files pretty well organised on one 2TB drive. They are organised in this way...

Artist > flac/mp3 > album

I generally have a flac folder and an mp3 folder of every/most albums. The mp3 folder is for the car.

Anyway, I'd like to create a view which just shows flac files but which still retains the Artist/Album file structure. Can this be done? Not by me anyway. Can someone help me achieve this please? I've followed what I thought was the way to go but it never works right. What am I missing?

Edit - I've actually managed to do it pretty much except it's showing the flac/mp3 parent folder also. So I'm seeing say,

Jethro Tull / flac / Aqualung

Whereas what I want to see is

Jethro Tull / Aqualung

How do I prevent it from showing that parent folder?

Perhaps create multiple libraries. One for mp3 files and one for flacs.

This is what I'm looking for but I don't see anywhere to select "flac" or "mp3". Where is that option?

A couple questions/issues:

1) why do you want to see the folders anyway..assuming they are tagged properly? You could just view artist and album categorically (cover art, etc) and make sure the MP3's aren't there by using a rule like "filetype is flac".

2) assuming you like to browse down the folder path, then could you just consolidate the folders (i.e remove the flac vs mps and put all Aqualung in one folder, both formats). The rule will then filter the MP3's out anyway. Would that still allow you to sort for portable use?

Or,as Kumakuma points out, make two JRIver libraries. Pick the flac parents for one library and the MP3 parents for the other. No need to move actual music files or anything. A JRIver library is a virtual thing and stored in a small information/directory file.

Ideally I would prefer your second suggestion but I have 82,633 tracks and not enough time. I started this collection a long time ago and it didn't really seem to matter too much back then. I still have probably another 300-odd CD's to rip yet too.

You may have done something similar to me in setting your libraries auto import paths. Do you have more than one source path set for your imports? If so, if you have any of the same music in each of these sources you will have duplicates appear in your library.

Thanks for the help but it wasn't that. It seemed to be seeing my cue files and reporting them as actual files. I deleted one cue file and the folder contents changed. Then Jremote got booted from the server, lol. I've no idea what's wrong now.

I've fixed my problem with making a FLAC folder. I was actually over-thinking things. What I can't seem to do is get Jremote to connect and then to get my new "view" to show in Jremote. I've followed the instructions to do this that are on the first page of this thread but it doesn't show up. Perhaps I need to restart MC19 but I can't do that until I'm finished importing thumbnails. Given that I live in the sticks and never even see north of 400kbps this could take some time.

Thanks for the input Skeptic. I've managed to do it but differently from you and I suspect not as successfully. I used "artist" & "album", then "file type is flac". The trouble is my tagging is clearly not up to scratch. I've never really bothered with tagging because I've always navigated via folder structure.

I noticed last night that, when scrolling through my "flac view", I could have multiple entries which are for the same album but different artists. For instance, Eminem, when I navigate to there I don't just see the complete folder, what I see is the artist and whoever he collaborated with. Sorry, it's difficult to explain what I mean.

It may not matter. I think your "Album Artist (auto)" category may be the answer. It'll have to wait for now but I'll get back to you either way when I get back to my machine later today.

Thanks again for the help, it's very much appreciated. There's nothing like computer software for making me feel my age.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer.

Yes, that makes things much clearer, you certainly know your stuff. I must admit this is the first time I've ever paid for music software but it's actually turning into quite a sound investment. I'll be back home soon and will put this help into practise. Once more, many thanks.

Yes!

You beauty, this works perfectly my friend.

Now, I have two more questions for now if I may - somewhere else I saw a tutorial on how to set up the audio section (sampling rate etc.). Any idea where I saw it because I'll be damned if I can find it now, lol?

Second question - is it possible to set JRiver so that when I open the program it will automatically open in my "FLAC view"? At the moment it always opens in the welcome screen view.

Edit - question 2 is solved. I'm an idiot.

Thank you.

Thank you. I'm lost in the sense that surely if a file is recorded at, say, 48k, there's no advantage in playing that back at 96k, or is there? I've just read on another forum that the ODAC supports "16/24bits @ 44/48/96khz" so you're right enough.

Edit- I've followed your instructions above and all is well. What's the audiophile view on "Volume Levelling"? It seems like a good idea to me since my seating position isn't near my O2 amp and getting up and down to change levels is a bit of a pain. If it degrades sound quality though then I can live without it.

I can definitely see the benefit of Value levelling for myself because I'm mainly lying on the couch when I'm listening to headphones and the volume control of my O2 is miles away. I'll give it a try from now.

I'm only listening to stereo music so it makes no difference whether JRSS is on or off, is that right?

• 7 months later...

I have a question about JRiver which surely one of you guru's will be able to address. It's definitely way less complicated than some of the stuff in the last few pages of this thread which goes way over my head.

I'm relatively new to OSX and therefore JRMC. Until two years ago I was a Windows guy and used Foobar for audio. My Foobar implementation was very simple - I had a folder tree column on the left and I had what I think would be called an active playlist in the main window. This allowed me to simply drag a folder (album) from the tree to the playlist and it would automatically append itself to the list. What I liked about this was that I could get up the next morning and see everything that had been played the night before.

I can't seem to configure JRiver in the same way. I have the folder tree on the left alright - Files / Volumes / Media / Music - but the main window won't allow me to drag & drop folders there. It only shows what is currently selected. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Gordon.

edit - I forgot to mention I'm using JRMC 19 on OSX Mavericks.

• 6 months later...

Hi folks,

Yes, it's me again. I have JRiver 19 set up properly I think. I use a custom view so that I can just see FLAC files. I've had this before & it worked great for when I'm using an app to remotely control JRMC.

It allowed me to start up my aps (Gizmo & EOS) and I could select the FLAC view.

I've now set it up to do that again but for some reason neither app is allowing me to see this view. I get all the others - Artist, Album, Genre etc - but not the one I want.

Any idea what I'm missing here?

Many thanks,

Gordon.

if "I've now set it up to do that again" means a new setup and a new remote access code then you need to do the gizmo import again since FLAC view is non-standard (custom).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18637[/ATTACH]

That's it Ted!

Thank you very much mate.

Gordon.

Hi Ted,

If you don't mind could I ask you another question?

Is there a way to have the actual folder structure show up as a view in eos or Gizmo?

I think I've exhausted every possibility but with no success. However I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing something.

Cheers,

Gordon.

Hi Ted,

That's not really what I'm looking for. I'm sorry, I'm not very good at explaining what I'm looking for.

I just use a very basic view on the desktop. As long as I can see the folders I'm good.

Jriver Screen_02_Snapseed.jpg

I'd like to also see that folder structure displayed on the remote app, be it Eos or Gizmo.

What I want soo remotely is first of all my 'Music' folder. Then click on that & get to my artist folders, then album & so on..

It may not be possible.

Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

Another option would be to use Jriver in DLNA mode and use an UPnP controller app instead. They all have folder view.

I think this may be my only option. When you say UPnP app are you meaning something like Splashtop or the like?

Yes, that folder structure needs to be in your real storage. So the location tab on files should have that tree/folder structure. Me, I have my Synology as Music, then folders called Lossless (basically all my redbook), DSD, Hirez, etc. and under that I have album folders named Artist-Album. Regardless, that is how location sees them and that is how JRemote sees them. Whatever your folder structure, location is that structure. And as long as location is the first sort in your file view it should work...of course you need to import to gizmo.

No matter how I configure it there's no way to achieve what I'm looking for I'm afraid.

Thanks for the help guys, it's really very much appreciated.

Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

More like Linn Kinsky, Lightning DS, audionett, plugplayer, etc. Free apps that are UPnP controllers.

Splashtop or Mocha VNC are used to view your desktop in a headless setup, as if you had an LCD attached. Also handy, but a different way. You would not need to run Jriver in DLNA mode in that case.

Hi tranz,

OK, I've downloaded & installed Linn Kinsky and it already sees my Mac without me doing anything at all. This is good.

However it still only gives me the same options of Audio, Artist, Album, Recent, Genre etc.

Is there a way withinn JRiver to get it to see my actual folder structure?