IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

My apologies if this has already been covered. I did a cursory look and did not find anything on this topic. I'm a newbie to JRiver and JRemote. I just added a hi Rez category to my audio library in my Mac mini, but I've noticed this does not automatically get "pushed" through to my iPads JRemote app. Is there a setting somewhere to make this occur or is this beyond JRiver/JRemote capability?

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

My apologies if this has already been covered. I did a cursory look and did not find anything on this topic. I'm a newbie to JRiver and JRemote. I just added a hi Rez category to my audio library in my Mac mini, but I've noticed this does not automatically get "pushed" through to my iPads JRemote app. Is there a setting somewhere to make this occur or is this beyond JRiver/JRemote capability?

I did get help on JRivers site on this. If it helps anyone else, it is done by: Tools/Options/Media Network/Advanced/Configure Views and add the new library. You may have to quit MC and JR before it'll appear in JR.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

Glad they could help. I documented this earlier in the thread and have it as part of my videocast. Feel free to download

Yeah, saw it as soon as I posted it here, but then didn't know how to delete my post. Thanks

I'm trying to categorize genres within my hi rez audio file folder. As an example, within Audio, I've created >Hi Rez>Rock and Pop. So in my Rock and Pop, under "customize views" I've added a rule that "genre" "is all" and in the third pull down screen, I've ticked off all the genres that I want applied. Problem is, none of my files appear. I've checked to ensure they have the metadata that includes genre, so I'm not sure why they are not appearing. Any clues?

PS: In the center pull down, I've tried "is all", "is any" and "contains".

Was gonna ask "is any" but see you added that. Can you do a screengrab? What rules are there so far (that make it rock and pop to begin with)?

The third pull down screen in the rules screen allows you to select any genre you want included. I did the exact same thing for my root audio directory and it filters them perfectly. I also tried jazz and it also works, so there must be something I'm not noticing within my Hi Rez files that I'm doing that is preventing the selected genres from appearing.

Screen Sharing Picture.png

The third pull down screen in the rules screen allows you to select any genre you want included. I did the exact same thing for my root audio directory and it filters them perfectly. I also tried jazz and it also works, so there must be something I'm not noticing within my Hi Rez files that I'm doing that is preventing the selected genres from appearing.

I'm definitely doing something wrong as I just tried creating a Jazz file in my Hi Rez folder and it worked. I will revisit the Rock and Pop directory.

update: Yup, I deleted it and rebuilt it and it worked.

Anyone know if it is possible to play an HDMI source (input) through jRiver?

This may give you the information you are looking for:

Audio Connection Type - JRiverWiki

What tasks should I perform when importing music?

ie What does each of the selections of analyze audio for audio files, fix broken links, write file tags......mean? Should I be selecting them?

Thanks

Analyzing audio for your files will fill out information about the files which is used for Volume Leveling and other features. It also gives you useful information about your files such as Dynamic Range (DR) which is equivalent to the TT-DR meter/Dynamic Range Database

Building thumbnails will mean that thumbnails are built in the import process rather than the first time you view the files in your library.

Get cover art will get cover art from the internet if none currently exists for the files.

Ignore files previously removed from library will not import files which you have deleted from the library, but still exist on the disk in a location that is scanned by auto-import.

Update for external changes means that editing file tags in another program will update those tags in the JRiver library.

Fix broken links should update the library to point to the new location of files if you have moved them outside of the program. (you should use their tool for this though)

The write file tags option means that anything changed in the import process will be written to the file instead of only being written to the JRiver database.

Thanks, so it sounds like I should check each one.

Can someone advise me or direct me to somewhere that identifies the best settings for 2 ch audio?

Thanks

Is there a way to remove duplicate files that would be easier than going into each album to remove them?

Other than Chris's review or my screencasts (which go into detail, but it's not what you want obviously...cuz I've plugged it constantly) make sure to set bitstream for DSD if your XMOS DAC is DSD-capable, then set track changes to gapless (unless you like cross fade outs...). Your settings for all things like stop, seek, and skip are purely personal. I set them for immediate, in most cases, but that's just me.

Sorry, I'm new here. Where would I find Chris's review? I read your posts at the beginning; is that what you refer to as screencasts?

Yes, of course, that is what the duplicates playlist is for (found in the smartlist section).

I found the smartlist, but I don't see the "duplicates playlist".

Sorry, guess it's not on the Mac version. My bad.

Chris's review is here:

Computer Audiophile - JRiver Media Center 17 In Detail

My screencasts are here (although new, you should read the previous posts and the previous pages..my screencasts link is only a few posts above yours, but here ya go again):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/j-river-tips-and-techniques-user-experiences-repository-13684/index3.html#post272960

No worries and thanks. So, do I have to delete duplicates by entering each individual album and delete duplicates that way?

I found the smartlist, but I don't see the "duplicates playlist".

Actually, my mistake with the duplicates was made when I set the auto import paths for my libraries. I selected my backup drive as well, hence the duplicates. So I removed my backup drive from my auto import path and did a sort of all my music and simply deleted all the ones from my library that were from my backup drive. Seemed to work, but thanks for your help. I'm sure that will come in handy at some point as well.

Here's a strange thing. I've just noticed that in some (but not all) albums in Jremote I have duplicate entries. Why would that be?

You may have done something similar to me in setting your libraries auto import paths. Do you have more than one source path set for your imports? If so, if you have any of the same music in each of these sources you will have duplicates appear in your library.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to shuffle between all songs as opposed to only shuffling per album? I don't see the ability to just show songs like iTunes can. Thanks

Yes under the audio category select files then click on whatever file you wont hit play and your good to go.

I can't do that under my audio category. All I can do is random play within the individual albums.

I'm not sure I am missing something in what you wish to accomplish and I am using the Mac version but if I make the selection in the left column under Audio of Albums and then go to the upper right corner below the information window and next to the elapsed time indicator the second of three circles has three different size lines on it. Selecting that I turn Shuffle On. From that all songs from all albums will play in shuffle mode.

Thanks. I was trying to do it using JRemote and still have not determined how to, but I did figure out how to do it through JRiver itself, although a bit different than your way. If I am understanding what you are saying, Audio>Albums, then select shuffle, it will only shuffle within each album, so I tried Audio>Files and then shuffle on and it does shuffle between all songs. Do you know how to make this come through to JRemote?