IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

• 4 months later...

A slight variation - not impugning the advise given by Mercman - lots of different ways to do it.

I have both Audirvana and MC18/19 (just moved fully to MC19). I store all my music files on my NAS. I don't let iTunes organize my library (personal taste). I use XLD to rip my CDs. I do most of my tagging in XLD (including updates to cover art and embed them within the files). XLD automatically places them in the correct music folder on my NAS. I store my DSD and high resolution files in separate folders on the NAS (thus one folder for DSD, one for high resolution and one for CDs). I don't really need to organize it that way for MC as no special import process of FLAC and DSD files is required for MC, unlike Audirvana integrated with iTunes).

Anyway, then I do import the new albums into iTunes and/or Audirvana (if FLAC or DSD) and use auto import with MC. The process is a lot easier with MC because it just watches the folders I designate for new files.

I have used MC for many, many months now so I am very very used to it, and to be honest I find the music management capabilities and the capability to locate albums and tunes much easier with MC and JRemote at this point in time, YMMV.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I use XLD also. I really need to familiarize myself more with JRiver but for some reason I have found its setup and use beyond the basics confusing or hard to grasp for me. Maybe because it's more of a Windows program adapted for Mac and I struggle with pretty much anything Windows.

It is very very different from using many Mac programs and especially from iTunes. The basics of importing a library and playing tunes was easy, but to your point learning many of the finer points, such as building custom views and tagging within MC does take time, and a lot of searching of the WIKI and other sources to become comfortable. In the end, it was worth it for me. Also this forum and the Interact forum is a great resource for assistance.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

• 1 month later...

Question comes to kind. If I can use XLD to rip and edit basic metadata and direct it to the iTunes library I wonder if I can direct it to JRMC instead? I have to take a look at that.

Yes you can, I use XLD for my ripping and have it pointed to the file location of my JRMC Library. JRMC then auto imports the new albums into it's library.

Barr

• 2 weeks later...

Are you doing something with customize view?

Customize View-> Set Rules for file display->Rule->File Type (from drop down) is DSF (Selected from the drop down after "is"

Sample.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I suggest to try Fidelizer. It could help reducing playback stuttering in some systems by increasing kernel clock resolution and audio thread priority.

I don't think that would work as they are both using Macs?