IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

David,

You need to use filename (path) I just tried it and it works.

I had tried that initially and it didn't seem to work. I edited the rule to just have "Others" and that worked.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Boy, do I have a lot of tags to fix. This is what happens when you collect a lot of live music.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

When I add a view in jriver I them go and add it to jremote. However, I am not seeing the new view in jremote. I tried closing jremote and reopening it mid there something else I need to do?

Also, is there a way to copy a custom view so that you can "paste" and edit it under a different name?

When I add a view in jriver I them go and add it to jremote. However, I am not seeing the new view in jremote. I tried closing jremote and reopening it mid there something else I need to do?

Also, is there a way to copy a custom view so that you can "paste" and edit it under a different name?

As long as you add it with "Library from standard view" and make sure it is added under audio, it will show up on jremote.

view to jremote.jpg

Try truly closing jremote in the ipad (i.e double clicking home button, stop process on bottom of screen by holding down icon then hitting it while red slash is visible)?

I'll answer the duplicate custom view question once I confirm something on the JRIver wiki, which is down right now.

That's what I did. Here's a screen shot of that from my setup:

Untitled.jpg

Except, all the items on the list are not showing up in jremote.

I disconnected from the server and reconnected and all the views are now there.

I don't like the fact that the key doesn't work and I have to enter the IP address directly. That shouldn't be the case. But it works for now.

David, get on the JRiver Interact forum. Lots of these kinds of things discussed. And send Jremote a note. He reads these forums. My access key has worked in every install...weird. He goes by LEsPaul here, but hasn't posted in a year. Better to contact him through info at jremote dot net

Are you sure you fully closed the app on the ipad?

Ted, I am.

Despite the elementary nature of my questions, I am pretty good with all this stuff. And I am one to think that most of the issues are user error, but there is clearly something not 100% right with the communication between jriver and jremote.

I just joined the forum.

Ok thanks. Sorry, had to ask. :)

By the way..to copy a custom view, simply open it (right click -> customize view) then in settings window scroll to bottom and save. When you go to create a new custom view the saved one will be one of your choices to use as a template (same as empty view, etc)

Thanks.

And I don't mind you asking since, as I said, issues are usually user error.

Ted..et all. Thanks so much for this thread..

Ted, I've never actually taken the JRiver leap.. Daft I know… I have trialled it, but it was so complicated I dropped it a while, then the trial ran out..LOL

It's hard to actually work out if it will do what I want on pre-purchase..

Actually I'm waiting for the next version of Minimserver (I am lead to believe this will then show up as a UPnP server in JRiver). If that happens I think I'll take the JRiver plunge..

What got my interest following this thread was the auto switch between stereo and multichannel..That sounds *very* cool..

What I still don't understand is will Jriver "down convert" from stereo or multichannel DSD to PCM so I can stream via DLNA to the Oppo105? Will it also "convert" on the fly high rez files to say MP3's for playing on lesser equipment? Can you say get it to convert AIFF>Flac on the fly..(if a player say doesn't support AIff…) I'm still confused on all this..Don't ask me why.. but I am. Wap

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Library Refresh Question

Now that I am accessing my music through jriver I am cleaning up album tags. What do I need to do or what settings should I set so the views will be updated with the new tags? After I made a bunch of changes I noticed that the updated tags did change the view. The view showed the old ones.

Ted..et all. Thanks so much for this thread..

Ted, I've never actually taken the JRiver leap.. Daft I know… I have trialled it, but it was so complicated I dropped it a while, then the trial ran out..LOL

Daft? Wap - do whatever it takes to get a device that can run JRemote, and trial JRiver again. Takes about - 10 mins to setup and let your music start importing, and JRemote makes using JRiver completely feasible and worth it.

As a side bonus, you get about the best DNLA server around, and when you get tired of messing with that fool DLNA stuff, it ain't hard to use multiple copies of JRMC around the place.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Library Refresh Question

Now that I am accessing my music through jriver I am cleaning up album tags. What do I need to do or what settings should I set so the views will be updated with the new tags? After I made a bunch of changes I noticed that the updated tags did change the view. The view showed the old ones.

To make sure your tags are in the library pick the files, right click, then Library tools -> Update library (from tags). What views? JRemote might require restart on ipad.

Also...make sure "update tags when file info changes" is checked in the edit menu pulldown.

Final also...usually a restart of JRiver will update the views if all else fails.

Part One: Intro (20:39)

• Introduction

• Installation

• Importing music

• Setting up DAC/output

• Basic JRemote setup

View Part One online: jriver part 1 - intro - Ted_B's library

Download MP4 video: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/jriver%20part%201%20-%20intro.mp4

Part Two: Tagging and Custom Views (21:07)

• Tagging techniques

• Filling tags from file info

• Tag Pasting

• Mass tagging ideas

• Building customized views

• Exporting them to JRemote

View Part Two online: Jriver Part Two - Tags and Views - Ted_B's library

Download MP4 video: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/Jriver%20Part%20Two%20-%20Tags%20and%20Views.mp4

To make sure your tags are in the library pick the files, right click, then Library tools -> Update library (from tags). What views? JRemote might require restart on ipad.

Also...make sure "update tags when file info changes" is checked in the edit menu pulldown.

Final also...usually a restart of JRiver will update the views if all else fails.

Ted

If I understand correctly JRiver for Mac doesn't yet support ripping. Because of that I continue to rip into iTunes using XLD and then of course import to JRiver. Everything seems to work fine. I edit tags in XLD for rips and edit tags after the fact in iTunes when I add or update information. Since I have been using JRiver much more frequently I have had occasion to see a tag that was missing or had issues with spelling or punctuation. Since I am in JRiver I would have preferred to edit the tags within JRiver but was afraid that they would not be recognized by iTunes and have to do it again.

Will edited tags done in JRiver be recognized when I open iTunes again?

Thanks

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I see what the issue is. My view had the field "album artist" but I edited the tag "artist" I just need to edit the custom view to sort by artist and then album.

Not sure what the difference is between album artist and artist. I guess the artist can vary by track on each album for a compilation.

Ted

Will edited tags done in JRiver be recognized when I open iTunes again?

Thanks

My MAC is on the shelf again (but bringin it out tonight to run another DAC in break-in mode (aka no amp). If the file supports tagging (AIF, Apple Lossless) then yes the tags will carry over because they are file-based (assuming you have "update tags when info changes:. You can tunr that off so the JRiver library only stores the tags, but I see no reason for that, frankly. However, if the files are WAV we might have an issue (nver tried it, JRiver to iTunes that is) cuz WAV inherently does not support imbedded tagging. Could you (or someone on JRiver OSX currently) try one file to test, and report back? I'm assuming you are prepared to dump iTunes when we confirm JRiver OSX will do it all? Managing multiple libraries is PITA.

I see what the issue is. My view had the field "album artist" but I edited the tag "artist" I just need to edit the custom view to sort by artist and then album.

Not sure what the difference is between album artist and artist. I guess the artist can vary by track on each album for a compilation.

Use album-artist (auto) field in views, as per my video and our discussions over the phone. It automatically looks at the album and if its a single artist it updates album-artist automatically. Here's more detail:

Album Artist and Album Artist (Auto) - JRiverWiki

Use album-artist (auto) field in views, as per my video and our discussions over the phone. It automatically looks at the album and if its a single artist it updates album-artist automatically. Here's more detail:

Album Artist and Album Artist (Auto) - JRiverWiki

I will have to play with this since the albums did not group by artist until I changed it from album artist (auto) to artist. And I think all my album artist fields are blank so it should ignore that and use artist.

Boy, do I have a lot of tags to fix. This is what happens when you collect a lot of live music.

I find that iTunes has a lot more metadata for bootleg CDs. The stuff I have on CD, I rip in itunes so that it gets tagged properly. For bootleg FLACs I dont know what you do, other than use the JRiver Libary Tools>Fill Properties fom Filename command.

I have over 1,000 album listings in my JRMC database. I bought my first LP in 1962 and have subsequently been oriented toward playing complete albums, not individual tracks. When I sit down to listen to music, I often do not have a specific album in mind, but usually have some notion as to what genre I feel like exploring. However, I have noticed only a relatively small percentage of the 1,000+ albums come to mind, and they tend to be the same ones at every listening session. Therefore, I have created a series of smartlists to help counter this myopic thinking. The following smartlist example meets my criterion of being album-centric, i.e., not oriented towards individual tracks. For me, satisfying this condition is especially important within the genre of classical music.

Here is one example which selects for classical albums composed by Johannes Brahms and not played within the last 20 days. All tracks on a specific album will be grouped together, with tracks sorted in ascending numerical order.

Please note: All tracks within an album will be listed every time the smartlist is evoked until all tracks have been played within the last 20 days. I am using a 22" monitor as a display.

[Media Type]=[Audio] +[Genre]=[Classical] +[Composer]=[Johannes Brahms] [Last Played]=>21d [Complete Album]=1 ~a

Here are definitions of the keyword 'complete album' and the modifier '~a'

[Complete Album]=1

returns complete albums

[Complete Album]=0

returns incomplete albums

~a

Expands the track selection to include all tracks from the selected albums.

Note: A complete album has sequentially numbered tracks, from 1 to N.

For more information, see Smartlist and Search - Rules and Modifiers

This note is an addendum to item #11 of this thread, as quoted above.

If the filtered list of tracks does not display an album header, this grouping can be accomplished by right clicking on the top menu bar (above the track listings and immediately below the moving track time bar), mousing over "Group By", then clicking on "Album."

Jim

Harlan Howard's definition of a great country song: "Three chords and the truth."

All my music is stored on a Synology NAS, and I also have a drive letter "M:" mapped to the main shared folder on the NAS. I've noticed that roughly half of the files in my library have their file names start with "\\SYNOLOGY\Music\....." while the rest have "M:\...". I guess that what file gets what file naming path is/was dependent on how I imported my music. Sometimes I import a single folder that I browse to in JRiver, sometimes I use autoimport, and often I right-click in Windows explorer to add to Media Center. I'd prefer to use the "M:" filename path as it's shorter and more flexible.

So I'd like to edit all the files that start with "\\SYNOLOGY\Music" in the filename tag to "M:" but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this. At first I thought it would be as simple as changing the tag using "=Replace([Filename],/#\\SYNOLOGY\Music#/,/#M:#/)" but it turns out that JRiver wants to move/copy the files and coughs up a furball telling me that the file already exists at that location. Yes, of course it does!

The Library Tools->Find and Replace function has the same effect.

I just want to edit the tag, not actually do any file moving/copying. Can anyone suggest a way to accomplish this?

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

EdmontonCanuck,

I guess I would try this:

* go to the "Files" view and sort by filename

* delete all music that starts with \\Synology\Music (delete in library, not physically)

* configure/edit and/or re-run auto-import, making sure it includes those directories (but only include in the auto-import those that refer to them as M:\\ folders)

If you don't have a majority of them then auto-import shouldn't take too long.