IGNORED

Crosby, Stills & Nash - HDTracks

Have listened to this several times now. Don't like it. Find the sound fatiguing. Must be b/c of the volume compression.

I asked HDTracks to give me credit toward a different album as I thought the sound was subpar. I'll let you know what happens. This is the first hi-res download from them I really thought wasn't worth the money.

Guess I'll try the Steve Hoffman gold CD. It got great reviews.

I actually like the download a bit better. I don't like the compression, but tolerate it better on the 24 bit material. The Hoffman is okay, but is still only 16 bit. I don't know that I like it that much better than the original CD.

Maybe, I am just not hardcore enough any longer.

Kind of paradoxical to tolerate dynamic compression better in a format that is supposed to make far greater dynamic range available (the 16 or 24 denote dynamic range capability, 44.1 or 96 or 192 denote sample rate in kHz). Looked at another way, I'm not sure what role greater *potential* dynamic range of a format would play if so little is actually used that there is far more than enough room for it in 16 bits.

Par for the course though. They can't be bothered to utilize the DR of CD, so why bother starting now.

The annoying parts are just a bit more annoying in 16 bits, than 24 for me.