IGNORED

Crosby, Stills & Nash - HDTracks

On the other hand firedog ... if you bought a CD would you really expect a refund from the store because you didn't like it?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Actually, my experience with music stores is that they will give you a credit if you return a disc. Some will let you listen to it before you buy. I wouldn't return one just because I didn't like the music, but I have returned them for other reasons, including bad sound. But the case here is different.

Okay, my experience of music stores is unless the CD is damaged then caveat emptor...

I'm buying a remaster of something that I know already I like the music. The point of buying a remaster, especially a hi-res one, is to get something better sounding than what was previously available. That's also how it is marketed by HDT (see their web page for the download).

IMO, what I received was of inferior SQ to previous (not hi-res) CDs.

Yes but then there is the rub isn't it...

Unless you are debating the claim from HD Tracks that they supply the tracks supplied to them, then it is just an opinion if the SQ is inferior. This (IMO anyway) is different from supplying tracks which are actually just upsampled somewhere along the line. Now you can argue that HD Tracks could (should?) supply details about dynamic range and show the spectrum of each track - but thats a marketing decision on HD Tracks part.

BTW, I don't know what it's like in the UK, but in the US (I don't live there either) lots of establishments accept returns with no (or minimal) questions asked. This is especially true for some retailers that are internet/catalogue based, as they understand that their long term success is based on consumer confidence about ordering items sight unseen (in this case "unheard").

Most stores in the UK are good about accepting goods back - the exception would be music stores. For mail order (catalogue and internet) we have specific distance selling rules which give 7 (maybe 14) days to return goods.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.