IGNORED

Thecus N4100Pro

Thoughts on this NAS?

Anybody have experience with the Thecus N4100Pro? Here's the link: http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=10&pid=77&set_language=english It is a 4 bay NAS that will accept upto 1.5TB drives.

I was originally thinking of the N5200Pro but now I don't think I need that much space. I have about 600 CD's to rip in AIFF and eventually will purchase/download some hi-rez music but I'm not sure how much I will get. I will also be using this for storage of photos from a DSLR and P&S camera and docs from 3 home computers. Do you think the N4100Pro is OK for me or is it still overkill?

John

Mac mini, iFi Audio iDAC2, Marantz SR6009, Furman Elite-15 PFI, NHT Sub Two i, Monitor Audio SoundFrame 2 On-Walls

Cary, NC

Thanks Chris! Hopefully I can make a buy before I fill up my 250GB USB drive! Which reminds me to ask: it is pretty easy to just do a backup/copy of the NAS to a USB drive right?

John

Mac mini, iFi Audio iDAC2, Marantz SR6009, Furman Elite-15 PFI, NHT Sub Two i, Monitor Audio SoundFrame 2 On-Walls

Cary, NC

• 2 weeks later...

I have one on the way along with 3 Seagate 1.5TB drives and the new Apple Airport Extreme to get me started. If anyone is interested, I can post my experience with it. I've never dealt with a NAS.

John

Cary, NC

I got the N4100PRO up and running easy enough. Used USBCopy to copy my external drive to it. But now, how do I move my files from the USBCopy folders to the folders I created on the NAS: Music, Photo, etc. ? If I do it from my Mac which is wireless via a g network or a PC that is on ethernet, it seems it would take a long time?

John

PS- I just moved 1 folder of 2.78GB and it's going take 38 min.!

Cary, NC

Hi John - Good question. You would think there is a way to move the files without sending them over the network as this would defeat the purpose of the USB Copy function. I can't remember without doing some research if this is possible. For now I would connect via Ethernet straight to the NAS drive. If your computer has Gigabit Ethernet adn the NAS does the copy will fly.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I hooked up the Mac via ethernet to the NAS and that was much faster. But when I moved folders I sometimes get an error- 'cannot complete operation because item "30" is in use. I tried on a couple of other folders and would sometimes get the same kind of error but with a different item name. It looks like when it empties some folders and tries to then remove the folder it has a problem. I am copying my Music folder instead of moving now in the hopes that I won't get the error.

John

Cary, NC

because I had read Chris's article on moving an iTunes library and then forgot about it. So I deleted my music files on the NAS that I had spent hours copying, moving, copying (see above) and followed the steps to have iTunes move them from my external USB drive to the Music folder on the NAS. Worked and didn't take too long using the direct gigabit ethernet connection. I'm listening right now with the NAS connected (ethernet) to my DSL wireless g router via wireless to the Mac. I've heard one dropout so far and am hoping that will go away when I install the new Airport Extreme with dualband so that the Mac can connect at n speed while my laptop PC connects at g. It's all a learning experience.

John

Cary, NC