IGNORED

"Oringial file cannot be located"

jb8312

I recently copied my complete collection of CDs into iTunes. About a 1/3 of the way in, my MacBook's HD was filled, so I purchased an Ext HD and copied the work done so far onto it. And from that point, continued to copy the rest of my collection directly to the Ext HD.

Now, it seems that many of the songs that were copied from the MacBook to the Ext HD cannot be played and when tried I get the "original file cannot be located...."

If it were a handful of tracks this would not be an issue, I could manually take care of each. However, there there are potentially 100s or 1000s of song that may be "located".

Anyone have any experience with this? IS there a reasonable simpler repair that will address ALL the songs that are not connected?

Thanks for you help! John

[Outlet > Crystal Cable Reference Power Cords > Audio Magic Mini Stealth >] MacBook \"White\" (Sitting on Symposium Svelte Shelf and 3 Decouplers) > iTunes/Apple Lossless/iTouch Remote > Kimber Cable USB > Bel Canto 24/96 USB Converter > Cary 306 Pro SACD/CD/DAC > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC >Pass Labs X1 > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC > Bryston 28B SST Mono Blocks > Transparent MM Ultra Speaker Cables > Verity Audio Parsifal Ovations> My Ears.....ahhhhhhh

Hi John,

I don't know how to easily search for it, but I am fairly sure that somewhere between 2-3 weeks ago there was a thread which at least looked very similar to your problem. Maybe others will know it.

Something about "don't copy so much at one time" and the problem is avoided.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

...what did you do exactly - did you drag the files into iTunes? If so, then iTunes will have indexed the files as being under its music directory - when you copied them over it can't find them.

Maybe this will help: through iTunes preferences/advanced change the music directory to the location on your external drive - you should do this anyway so any new imported music goes to the external drive.

It is a bit of a hammer solution but you could then delete everything in iTunes and drag all the stuff back in from the external drive?

My Macbook as a 120 HD, at about 95mb I clicked and dragged the files onto the Ex HD and then changed the location settings.

That's it.

[Outlet > Crystal Cable Reference Power Cords > Audio Magic Mini Stealth >] MacBook \"White\" (Sitting on Symposium Svelte Shelf and 3 Decouplers) > iTunes/Apple Lossless/iTouch Remote > Kimber Cable USB > Bel Canto 24/96 USB Converter > Cary 306 Pro SACD/CD/DAC > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC >Pass Labs X1 > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC > Bryston 28B SST Mono Blocks > Transparent MM Ultra Speaker Cables > Verity Audio Parsifal Ovations> My Ears.....ahhhhhhh

When it didn't work - which is where you find yourself now... - , I moved my library back to the "iTunes" folder on the MBP, checked to make sure that the library was again operational, and then followed the instructions at the link I provided above. All is well now. ... as long as the external drive is connected and powered up when I want to listen that is...

- markr