IGNORED

Aktimate Mini+ (vs Audioengine A5+)

We share similar musical tastes (dubstep fan myself, listened to Untrue by Burial last night). I have not heard the Aktimate Mini+, but it appears that they have received a few good reviews. I quite enjoy my A5's but unfortunately that does not do you any good as I have no experience with the Aktimates. The A5's have received lots of reviews so I am sure you have done your homework and read all of those reviews as well.

The only reason I am chiming in, is that regardless of how any of the professional reviewers gush on about the bass performance of the Aktimates/A5's, that is just relative to their size. I can't image the Aktimates will go much, if any deeper than the A5's and I am not satisfied with the A5's bass performance when playing musical genres with deep bass. On music with less deep base, the A5's are outstanding. For example, Kaskade's "Strobelight Seduction" which has some great bass, but not super low bass, sounds quite good on the A5's.

If you are like me, you will quickly miss the very deepest notes with the Aktimates/A5's, and then you will start searching for a subwoofer. One alternative is to go with a setup that already includes the subwoofer (at least it may prove less expensive in the end). I do like the Focal XS 2.1 system, which includes a decent subwoofer to begin with. The price on the XS 2.1 system is about the same as the Aktimates/A5's. I am sure there are other alternatives, as well. The one "downside" to the XS is that is has a captive DAC, so no upgradeability on the DAC (so, it will not play high resolution music- but let's be honest, the selection of hi-res music of the variety that you and I enjoy, is abysmal- plus, at this level of quality, the hi-res is not going to make that much difference, so who cares).

Searching for a 2.1 system now, may be the more cost-effective option.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

..also, not a fan of the downward firing wall mount you are proposing, but if it is your only option then "it is what it is". That mounting position will negatively impact sound quality to the point of taking away so much that it almost defeats the point of spending a bit more on the speakers. Just my opinion, others may disagree.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

....gotcha. The pic helps to see what you are up against. The Aktimates sound like a great desktop speaker solution.

What if you put the Aktimates where your existing speakers are located? When you listen to your system now, how is the imaging (if the mix has the singer located between the speakers, does the singer's voice seem to emanate from between the speakers with your current speaker placement)?