IGNORED

VLC for Mac OS X

The Computer Audiophile

Just an FYI -

According to Benchmark Media Systems, manufacturer of the Benchmark DAC1 among others, iTunes 7.5 is not fit for 16 bit / 44.1 KHz "redbook" CD playback on Mac OS X. They are recommending VLC until iTunes is fixed.

Anyone have experience with VLC? I just installed it and it seems pretty primitive.

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

• 3 weeks later...

... Right now, I would have to say that this is for the more adventurous among us. It IS primitive from the point of view of what you should get in a media player, yes. But the output sound leaves nothing to be desired, as far as my senses tell me. I have a feeling that the primitive player interface that it has, has something to do with the fact that it is intended to be a server of media and not just a player. Once you get the files you want to be able to play into the controller window, it operates just fine. It even offers a small level of 'apple remote' control functionality (song forward and back and volume).

This program is 'open-source' (= free, and developed under GNU General Public License) and is 'supported' for multiple computer platforms (operating systems and hardware). It is somewhat new, and therefore unfinished. It is intended to be a *server* of all types of electronic media, not just audio. Not just a *player*. I am intrigued by it.

It has led me to some things I hadn't explored yet: Streaming audio and video stations from all over the world via 'shoutcast' net broadcasting.

If you are even a little adventurous and are looking for a decent native OS X FLAC (and other format) player -you don't have to convert the FLAC files- Try it. It is free, pretty compact and easy to install and use. Expect some non-harmful error messages though - remember it is a work-in-progress -. Just 'ignore' them: clear them and continue on. On a Mac under OS X you are after all, on a UNIX-like (now, "UNIX" under Leopard - fully POSIX compliant -) machine. That means (among other things) the OS is VERY fault tolerant and recoverable. But you already knew that didn't you? That was the overriding reason you bought Mac wasn't it? *grin* I haven't had the errors I've gotten while using VLC interfere with any other function of my Mac to this point. I'm only a week or so into my trial however.

DISCLAIMER: I am not in anyway (yet) connected to the VLC project. I am a long-time advocate of the GNU GPL and I am just trying out new things! In general, I like this program.

markr

"There are only two kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't"

hear here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Hey Markr - I have been using this off & on and haven't received any errors. As you say suggest, I probably wouldn't care if I did get errors because OS X is so stable. I'll never go back to Windows myself, but I do realize it is an great platform for many others around the world.

- Chris C.

Founder

ComputerAudiophile.com

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

...my error messages have something to do with the fact that I changed some of the preferences Chris. It was error free before I changed some things. I haven't figured it out yet. All of the errors are suffixed with the file extender: .rc . I am thinking that I clicked some preference fields that had to do with the remote control that I shouldn't have for my particular setup. I just haven't had enough time yet to figure this out. Which version of OS X are you running?

markr

"There are only two kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't"

hear here

I am running the latest version of Tiger. I'm not upgrading yet. Leopard is not yet compatible with one on of the programs that I use: Propellerhead's ReCycle.

markr

hear here