IGNORED

I am really frustrated!!!

Very interesting post. Let me outline a few things:

1: I am running XP

2: I will be using a Dell Desktop solely for music at 24 bit (I have a Sonos system for all 16 bit files)

3: The desktop will be positioned a few feet from my main audio system

4: The DLIII will not be used. I had only mentioned it as part of the gear that I have available.

Given those parameters:

a: will I be able to download (or play Hrx discs) 24/96 and higher files from the 1820m easily

b: what kind of connectors will I need to input into my Preamp which is unbalanced Left and Right RCA inputs

a: will I be able to download (or play Hrx discs) 24/96 and higher files from the 1820m easily

Yes. I wouldn't know why not. That is, if you can get the hang of PatchMix, which is the driver software coming along (well, I assume). This is a pile of patch cabinets and I never got it going, unless used for a synthesizer (Proteus) and midi. I guess that's what it's made for (this is from my EMU-0404 PCI).

b: what kind of connectors will I need to input into my Preamp which is unbalanced Left and Right RCA inputs

My 0404 came with a breakout cable bunch with goldplated RCA females.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

PatchMix.. isn't that what you stuff chicken with ..no that's Paxo...but really so many drivers so little time....

It seems that to do anything on an XP/Vista/Hell Machine you need drivers ... if it moves or rather crashes you need a driver...you know where my little paws are going with this of course.

I am designing my new High End Pro grade Music - Servers the "FOXDaft 200" it will run on a home grown hybrid of the new Windows 7 with a Linux front end (just for the masochists amongst you) and whilst i realize that Itunes is great I have a small team of audiophile bears writing their own media player in Visual Basic because we can.

Of course I can't design it to run out of the box if anyone is to take the FOXDaft seriously so we will make sure that the software requires drivers simply to switch on and off.

It will have bakelite RCA hermaphrodite connectors (completely unbalanced) but don't worry a small company in N Korea will have the sole distribution rights to the proprietary cables.

The sound will be awful but at least you will be able to fiddle to your hearts content.

But then if you bought a Mac ... where is the fun in that?

Yours, hoping to make a killing tog

"Other than USB, and Firewire, the only other "out" suitable for audio is the headphone/optical out. No SPDIF.

Rob"

Not if he buys a Mac. This has a perfectly good Toslink output. By itself, its not great, but with reclocking can match any digital source on the planet. This is what Dave Clark of Positive-feedback.com uses.

BTW, I'm also 55, and have 25 years digital design experience in the computer industry. I was a design team lead on the Pentium II at Intel.

There is a lot of misinformation about computer audio on the web, so be careful. There are a handful of companies that know this technology well and can produce high-performance solutions. Knowledge, chip selection and implementation skills are ciritical to a good result. Just because a large well-known company offers a computer interface does not guarantee that it will perform well. IMO, you are better off to determine who the pioneers are in this business. Here is a list of computer audio questions that might help:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/ca_intro.htm

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

• 2 weeks later...

Check this out. It is Onkyo SE-200PCI LTD. I've tried every single sound card, but none come close to this on cheap price. Sure, Lynx killed this baby, but for cheaper sound card, there is none.

And I am sure, there is no Intel or apple engineer, not even creative's engineer knows more about audio than onkyo's engineer. I am not even sure they can come close to onkyo in term of audio reproduction.