IGNORED

What is your personal reference audiophile recording (best sound quality)?

I think that is it´´good old fashioned engineering´´.

Those 2 Sound Liaison downloads are from the Studio Showcase Serie, live in the studio, minimalist set up.

3 Months ago I prided myself on being a hard rocker. Same speakers but I bought a pair of mono blocks and now all this music I used to hate sounds so $%^&ing awesome I cant wait to get home to listen to it. I'm going through a bit of an identify crisis. The stuff I used to label elevator music, now I crank way up like that guy in the old Maxwell Tapes add sitting in the chair. I just got most of the Sound Liaison stuff the last couple of days and love it all. There is one track on Space Master Silence titled Meccas Dance,WOW to the percussion at the beginning. I crank it way up to here that sound then back way off before the trumpet comes in and kills me. lol I'm having lots of fun thanks to you guys and your good tastes in music.

I think Blue Coast Records has been discussed here before, although I don't think they are all well known. All of their albums (that I have purchased) are beautifully recorded. One of my reference songs is Keith Greeninger's rendition of "Three Little Birds" in the "Blue Coast Collection 2" album, in 24/96kHz. The sound stage, the instrument separation and Keith's voice in that song just brings tears to my eyes. Yeah, I am being a little melodramatic but I do feel like everything on that song is perfect, IMHO.

One of my reference songs is Keith Greeninger's rendition of "Three Little Birds" in the "Blue Coast Collection 2" album, in 24/96kHz. The sound stage, the instrument separation and Keith's voice in that song just brings tears to my eyes. Yeah, I am being a little melodramatic but I do feel like everything on that song is perfect, IMHO.

+1

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Andre Heuvelman's ''After silence'' is now at the top of my list. I find Paul Berner's ''Road to Memphis'' almost as good in terms of sq. Both downloads have a unique sense of depth, placement and separation of the instruments but with a sound that gels.

I think I used to have Paul Berner as my reference but Testikhoff's insistence on After Silence has had a bit of influence on my judgment:)

Both downloads are on sale as we speak for $11; Sound Liaison Music Shop;

Almost all Radiohead albums from OK Computer onwards for both the good and bad elements. Various soundtracks. Hans Zimmer and John Williams in particular. First Aid Kit. Mazzy Star and Aphex Twin. A few Classical pieces from Beethoven and Hayden. I tend to add new tracks very often as I need to keep up to date.

220px-Flyingcowboys.jpg

Analyzed folder: Rickie Lee Jones/Flying Cowboys

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Filename

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR19 -3.25 dB -26.42 dB 01 The Horses.aiff

DR13 -9.19 dB -25.86 dB 02 Just My Baby.aiff

DR24 -0.55 dB -26.59 dB 03 Ghetto Of My Mind.aiff

DR16 -6.79 dB -25.98 dB 04 Rodeo Girl.aiff

DR17 -4.66 dB -25.15 dB 05 Satellites.aiff

DR18 -7.53 dB -32.43 dB 06 Ghost Train.aiff

DR16 -6.05 dB -24.18 dB 07 Flying Cowboys.aiff

DR14 -8.79 dB -26.33 dB 08 Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying.aiff

DR19 -4.11 dB -25.35 dB 09 Love Is Gonna Bring Us Back Alive.aiff

DR17 -6.45 dB -29.29 dB 10 Away From The Sky.aiff

DR14 -4.39 dB -24.25 dB 11 Atlas' Marker.aiff

Number of files: 11

Official DR value: DR17

+1. This is a great album and sounds fantastic.

i also have a Japanese import of Girl and Her Volcano -- has the most amazing version of Under The Broadwalk. Great track for testing responsiveness and bass slam.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
I know. It's not State of the art but it's beautiful nonetheless.

Actually, I believe the miking (in this case apparently a single stereo microphone setup in this nice church environment) is often more important than the actual recording technology behind it. This is one example.

Actually, I believe the miking (in this case apparently a single stereo microphone setup in this nice church environment) is often more important than the actual recording technology behind it. This is one example.

Yup, one mic in one huge space. Given that limitation it's a spectacular recording.

The Blue Nile - A Walk Across the Rooftops

This was released on Linn Records in 1984 in the UK and was frequently used by Linn audio gear retailers to provide listening demonstrations.

One of the best pop recordings I've listened to.

FWW3JRHC5

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I love Diana Krall's voice -- Live in Paris gives me goose-bumps. Beautifully recorded.

71pCeBe-5yL._SL1050_.jpg

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Sonia Dada - Lester's Methadone Clinic. This Youtube version isn't a good recording, but Tidal can do a good job with it.

This is a favorite reference track for me. The opening is just a male voice creating a beat and a finger snapping in time. That finger snap can tell a lot about a system. On good equipment, it hangs very precisely in mid-air, very localized and solid. The soundstage opens up as the male lead kicks in and more instruments are introduced along with the chorus as the song progresses. It's a fun, well recorded tune with a lot of percussive elements and great bass punch to it. Each instrument has its locked place across a wide soundstage. I only tested a DR of 10, but it still sounds great and works very well for testing new equipment.

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

Have really enjoyed reading this thread! I got my end-game headphones a few months ago (MrSpeakers Ether C), which I run through my Centrance HiFi-M8 portable DAC / Amp, and I've been on a tear buying new music and experiencing new genres thanks to threads like this!

Thanks to this thread, I've really enjoyed discovering Tord Gustavsen Trio, Hadouk Trio's Live at FIP, Diana Krall's Girl in the Other Room and Live in Paris, and Alison Krauss + Union Station LIVE.

Just last week, I had a "listening party" with a buddy while the wives were out - he's into speakers (Arcam DAC / AMP -> Totem Forest floorstanders, while I'm a headphone guy (for now). We ended up spending 4hrs listening to music, and it was especially interesting listening to the same recordings on his system and then my headphones right after. Let's just say while I love my MrSpeakers cans, once I move into a house where I can really play music loudly, I'm definitely going to get a speaker system!

Some new music he introduced me to that sounded great and I've since bought and listened to:

- Portishead (Live in Roseland NYC)

- Nina Simone - Pastel Blues (especially her version of Sinnerman!)

• 2 weeks later...

Personally. I like The Beatles a lot, but unlike some other folks, I dont feel their original recordings to be very spectacular. So I made an effort to find high quality covers. Here are some to check out:

Patricia Barber - Norwegian Wood

Eva Cassidy - Yesterday

Holly Cole - I'm Only Sleeping

Celine Dion - Here, There & Everywhere

Emmylou Harris - For No One, Here, There and Everywhere

Helen Reddy - The Fool on the Hill

Patti Smith - Within You Without You

Tessa Souter - Eleanor Rigby

Some other audiophile covers recordings of note:

Tori Amos - Angie

Susan Boyle - Wild Horses

Eva Cassidy - Ain't No Sunshine (you could make a case for all her recordings)

Sinead O'Connor - House of the Rising Sun

Parzivals Eye - Chicago (Christina Booth)(Graham Nash cover)

Rita Wilson - Never My Love, Wichita Lineman (these are better than the originals IMO)

Along Classical/Neo-Classical performers and music:

Charlotte Church - Jerusalem, Papa, Can You Hear Me?

Barbra Streisand - Beau Soir (thats right, she sings Debussy and in French)

Haley Westenra - Hushabye Mountain, May it Be (Lord of the Rings), Scarborough Fair